Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Modern
System Used: Savage Worlds/Unisystem/D6
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Current Players: 1
Desired # of Players: 4
Game Location Street Address: Stanford St and Airline Rd
City: Dallas
State: TX
Zip Code / Postal Code: 75225
Game Times Frequency: Biweekly
Days of Week: Saturday, Sunday
Online Game Details Online Game?: No
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Google Map
Loading Map...

Thread: Dresden Files OR Army of Darkness

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Deadlands OR Dresden Files OR Star Wars

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    UPDATE - 5/16/09:

Hi folks. I have been looking to start a new gaming group and have been keeping my eyes open for other players who may want to join.

As GM, there are three primary campaigns that I have in mind as well as a backup game just in case:

The first campaign is the horror-fantasy western setting of "Deadlands". In particular, I will be running Deadlands Reloaded which uses the Savage Worlds rules. The rules are easy to learn and the campaign will focus on the quick and dirty action, adventure and intrigue of the spaghetti westerns.

The second campaign is a supernatural action-horror based on the "Dresden Files" series of novels by Jim Butcher. It's based in the modern world, but one which is secretly populated by vampires, wizards, werewolves, demons, fairies and the like. If it sounds similar to the White Wolf's World of Darkness, it does have a lot in common, but has just as many twists that make it unique and surprising for those familiar with White Wolf's RPGs.

Third is a "Star Wars" campaign set during the Rebellion era (more specifically, between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back). This will use the original West End Games D6 system which is quick and easy to learn for newcomers.

The backup campaign idea is based on the film "Army of Darkness". If you haven't seen the film, you really should as it is an instant classic and a lot of fun. The campaign would revolve around a group of characters (who could come from any period in humanity's past...or future) who discover the legendary Necronomicon and must race through history to stop the evil Army of Darkness and destroy the book once and for all.

If none of these campaigns catches the group's fancy, then I could run Call of Cthulhu or other games as the group decides.

Anyway, drop me a line if you're interested or if you'd like more information about anything you've read above. Hope to talk to you soon, and good gaming to you!
    Last edited by Webhead; 05-17-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Is this PBP?

The Dresden Files campaign sounds cool, as I am a big fan of this genre. I was just wondering about what type of play and a little bit of knowledge on character creation to see if I could put together a character. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballzy1 View Post
    The Dresden Files campaign sounds cool, as I am a big fan of this genre. I was just wondering about what type of play and a little bit of knowledge on character creation to see if I could put together a character. Thanks!

Hi there, Ballzy1. Though the game I'm trying to get together is a table-top game, if you're interested in a Dresden Files PbP, I could offer to run a solo PbP for you on my web forum: http://steelmaster.proboards53.com/

If this is something you'd like to try, let me know and send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the character creation guidelines. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Happy gaming!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen the 'Army of Darkness' movies and did really enjoy them.
    Unfortunatly, I have found myself NOT liking the Horror genre. And i have tried it several times, just not my cup of tea.
    If your group wants some other fantacy game, give me a heads-up.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dresden Files is probably more a "Modern Supernatural Fantasy" than a true horror. The "horror" aspect really just comes from the fact that there are supernatural critters out there, several of whom would just as soon eat your face off as look at you.

In the same sense, I wouldn't exactly call Army of Darkness horror. It's really more of a "horror-themed action" film.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually more like action themed horror. At least it didn't show all the blood and guts that slasher films do nowadays. I wold never have watch them.
    Besides, any movie that would deliberatly screw up "Gort, Klatu Barda Nict$%*" can't be all bad, huh?
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Downloads
    Uploads

Thats ok!

Web thanks for offer - I hope you all have a great time. If you ever do host a PBP campaign for a group I would be interested but no need to run a solo one as I have a couple others starting soon anyway. Thanks, Ballzy

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballzy1 View Post
    Web thanks for offer - I hope you all have a great time. If you ever do host a PBP campaign for a group I would be interested but no need to run a solo one as I have a couple others starting soon anyway. Thanks, Ballzy
    No problem. Best of luck to you in your new games as well. If you ever feel like it, give me a shout.

Happy gaming!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A question, does your 'Dresden Files' format include the posibility of mutants or only the fantasy creatures youv'e mentioned?

I might be a little more inclined to try it, now that I looked a little closer at your postings.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
    A question, does your 'Dresden Files' format include the posibility of mutants or only the fantasy creatures youv'e mentioned?

I might be a little more inclined to try it, now that I looked a little closer at your postings.

I suppose that depends on what you mean by "mutants".

The cosmology of the Dresden reality is based mostly around psychic, mystical, and classically supernatural concepts, but that could be interpreted to include a better portion of human legends, myths and religious scripture. From what I'm recalling off the top of my head, the following basic "creature types" have been established within the setting:

Angels, Fallen (fallen angels), demons and demon-possessed humans, several varieties of vampires, several varieties of werewolves, Seelie and Unseelie fairies, centaurs, goblins, pixies, changelings, ghosts, zombies, wizards (practitioners of magic), psychics, ectomancers (those who can speak with the dead), animated constructs, holy-men (those gifted with holy power), and at least one dragon (though he is only seen once and in a human-like form). Many others might certainly exist.

Many creatures (demons for instance) are all thrown into one, broad classification, but demons is really more a term for "strange, nightmarish creatures of all imaginable shapes and sizes" than a demon in the biblical sense.

There are some "hybrid" type creatures, such as changelings (half human, half fey), or people possessing supernatural power (wizards, psychics, holy-men).

What are you thinking of or looking for when you mention "mutant"?
    Last edited by Webhead; 02-27-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Still looking for a playa? I'm looking for a regular game, the setting doesn't matter - i preetty much have fun no matter what...
    Warm Regards,

Nok, MBA
    Chief Barbaric Officer (CBO)
    Stone Age Technical Consultancy

"We brought you fire, and it burned! Now try our latest offering - the wheel! You'll swear it goes round and round! Ask me about it - TODAY!"

Downloads
    Uploads

Dresden?

Did you ever get thre dresden files ish game up and running?
    I read the entire series and it ruled. Mostly.
    I heard a rumor that a dresden rpg was being developed by someone.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Elguapo72 View Post
    Did you ever get thre dresden files ish game up and running?...
    I've gotten a bunch of campaign and system notes hammered out but I never did get a group to start running it for. I am currently on the lookout for putting together another group though, so let me know if you are interested in possibly joining.

...I read the entire series and it ruled...
    I whole-heartedly agree.

...I heard a rumor that a dresden rpg was being developed by someone.
    Yes, an officially licensed Dresden Files RPG is in the works by Evil Hat Productions. One of the cool things is that Jim Butcher actually approached the guys at Evil Hat and told them that he felt they were the only people who could do a "Dresden" RPG justice. They've really been doing an excellent job of posting weekly or bi-weekly updates on the progress of the game.

You can check out the company's website and the Dresden Files RPG website at the links below:

http://www.evilhat.com/

http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/

Naturally, I'm going to be picking it up when it releases.
    Last edited by Webhead; 05-16-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.