Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want try COC

Downloads
    Uploads

I want try COC

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'd like to try COC but Chaosium's quick start PDF is broken, anyone have it...I just don't want to invest much$$ in a system without any ideas about how it'll run....so if anyone has that pm me .....Thanks inadavance!

Downloads
    Uploads
    never mind, i got it...for some reason my laptop couldn't get it's head around it so I got it on my main computer

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by amardolem View Post
    never mind, i got it...for some reason my laptop couldn't get it's head around it so I got it on my main computer
    Is the version of your PDF reader different on each machine?
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    No it was a wierd redirect thing that kept happening on the laptop, I was going off the actual intro page, afterwards I noticed another link (when I was on my main computer) in a little menu across the top and it worked, so I'm really not sure...I was trying on the laptop all saturday in hopes of running that mini scenario for my family on fathers day, because the lack of tactical mapping is conducive to newer roleplayers (my kids) plus I lobe (sic-and love)the mythos and a nice little haunted house scenario would have made my fathers day (course, they might not SLEEP that night)

My time constraints tend to give me little time for multiple face to face games, so I don't know if it's worth the cash for the actual game and a few expansions...Boulet was on about the WOD Mage game, but Crikey! There's as many books for that as for 3.5 (never noticed bfore)

That's the weird thing about getting old..when I was rabid (and YOUNG), I had no cash, now I could buy any game/system/supplement out there, but I weigh the expenditure vs how much I can get out of it...is that wisdom? NAH!! cheap skinflintery!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Boulet was on about the WOD Mage game, but Crikey! There's as many books for that as for 3.5 (never noticed bfore)
    I wouldn't advise Mage for a first game The system is a bit complex. Plus my experience with the first version was that it takes confident autonomous players to enjoy this game.

Hell there isn't any obvious game coming to my mind for your kids first experience :/
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    I wouldn't advise Mage for a first game The system is a bit complex. Plus my experience with the first version was that it takes confident autonomous players to enjoy this game.

Hell there isn't any obvious game coming to my mind for your kids first experience :/
    Toon. Excellent and simple game for youngsters and/or first timers. Not too expensive either if you keep your eyes on Amazon.com and Ebay. I bought my copy of the Deluxe Edition for $5 plus shipping ($9 - $10 total).

Or you can buy the PDF version from Steve Jackson Games for $14.95 here: http://e23.sjgames.com/item.html?id=SJG30-1203

The great thing about Toon for young/inexperienced players is that you can't die. You're playing a cartoon character. The worst that happens in cartoons is you fall down/get flattened/blow up/get shot into outer space and you show right back up in the next scene without a scratch. Plus you can be as loud and wacky as you want without going against the theme of the game.

Plus, the rules are very simple.

It's probably the most newbie-friendly RPG I can think of...and it's just an outright riot to play.
    Last edited by Webhead; 06-18-2008 at 11:41 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No it was a wierd redirect thing that kept happening on the laptop, I was going off the actual intro page, afterwards I noticed another link (when I was on my main computer) in a little menu across the top and it worked, so I'm really not sure...I was trying on the laptop all saturday in hopes of running that mini scenario for my family on fathers day, because the lack of tactical mapping is conducive to newer roleplayers (my kids) plus I lobe (sic-and love)the mythos and a nice little haunted house scenario would have made my fathers day (course, they might not SLEEP that night)
    That's weird!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    The great thing about Toon for young/inexperienced players is that you can't die. You're playing a cartoon character. The worst that happens in cartoons is you fall down/get flattened/blow up/get shot into outer space and you show right back up in the next scene without a scratch. Plus you can be as loud and wacky as you want without going against the theme of the game.

Plus, the rules are very simple.

It's probably the most newbie-friendly RPG I can think of...and it's just an outright riot to play.
    Great input WebHead. I think it's spot on

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great input WebHead. I think it's spot on
    Thanks. Toon is one of those games that I wish I could play more often. It's a game focused on having a hilarious time and doing anything you can imagine.

You can play a talking, anthropomorphic fire hydrant with overalls and a Brooklyn accent if you want to.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Brooklyn accent is out of my reach... I might be able to play Pepe le Pew

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Brooklyn accent is out of my reach... I might be able to play Pepe le Pew
    One Toon character I cooked up but never got to play was "Billy-Bomb", a walking, talking, redneck bomb (the round, black kind with the open fuse that you see on cartoons) who was severely pyrophobic...he didn't want his fuse to catch fire and blow him up!!!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is pretty weird...I have Toon-the original!! (/codger) I just dug it out! But that being said, I still would have liked to play COC on fathers day (More for me I guess, but it didn't happen) My 8 yr has played a couple games of D&D just by virtue of me having it around all the time and once I figured out what the mini's game was, we have played that numerous times. I do like stuff with prepared scenarios, because tho I enjoy the act of creation, life saps most of my time for that away. (I wasn't insinuating that I would attempt Mage with the lads...I just knew you were investigating it so I checked it out, well, I couldn't really read thru, but I did notice the 247 books on the shelf)

they need a Cthulhu emoticon......

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just knew you were investigating it so I checked it out, well, I couldn't really read thru, but I did notice the 247 books on the shelf)
    Yeah White Wolf isn't much better than WotC in their "we are a money black hole, the catalog has reached the critical mass mwahahaha" kind of way... Fortunately with just the WoD and Mage rulebooks there's enough stuff for a good game experience. I'm no fan of their cosmology and the pseudo-social structure they laid the basis of. So no point for me in buying most of the source books. I could be tempted by the book about the abyss though. I think I would discard their broken virtue system which I've never seen work for me (this in the different WoD games I've played). I'd rather borrow some Story Game mechanism instead... Just have to find the right one that will bring a PC personality in the spotlight and include a rewarding principle to encourage players to explore the evolution of their characters.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just out of curiousity, boulet, are you referring to Mage: The Awakening, or Mage: The Ascencion?
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Both sir !

New WoD for the rules system and old one for the cosmology which I prefer a lot. My take on Mage would be to keep a good part of focus on mundane humanity and ways to liberate them from static reality.

[Edit : sorry Amardolem for highjacking your thread]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast