Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Late Starters Review of 4e

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Engar View Post
    Just out of curiosity. I am a freshly relocated teacher with most of the summer off aside from one road trip and my TX ACP (alt cert prog). Hence I have tons of free time right now to be here posting all day, all night, or until my wife beats me just out of fairness. I also have no gaming group atm (sadly, they stayed in IL with their wives and children *traitors!*). So my point being, and I focus this on all you DFW gamers here, and there are quite a few thank God, why are you here bs'g with me instead of out there planning an adventure to invite me into? I mean I can run the thing if I have to, but heck, this is your town right? I am sort of like the guest and all.
    hey, we need teachers in HOUSTON too!!!!!!!
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Engar View Post
    First, you got me to open the book again.
    Second, you are correct about rituals and they do make me happy. Still defensive, but jovial too.
    I am really interested in Rituals. Reading through the PHB and got to this section last night. With the appropriate skills and the Ritual Caster Feat, anyone can do this correct? I am loving that. I've had groups without primary casters where we always had to rely on Use Magic Device in 3.x So Rituals being accessible sounds very appealing. I also like that the group can participate to aid the outcome. Image of the whole party taking part (you two stand here and here with candles, you sprinkle this powder, etc)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseAlmighty View Post
    I am really interested in Rituals. Reading through the PHB and got to this section last night. With the appropriate skills and the Ritual Caster Feat, anyone can do this correct? I am loving that. I've had groups without primary casters where we always had to rely on Use Magic Device in 3.x So Rituals being accessible sounds very appealing. I also like that the group can participate to aid the outcome. Image of the whole party taking part (you two stand here and here with candles, you sprinkle this powder, etc)
    Agreed. I very much like where they are going with Rituals. If I had to pick a "favorite new feature" of 4e thus far in my reading, Rituals would probably be it.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Also note the required skills, which will probably require the Skill Training feat to get.

So, if you wanted a Rogue who could raise the dead, you'd need:

Skill Training feat: Arcana or Religion (required by Ritual Casting)
    Feat: Ritual Casting
    Skill Training feat: Heal (required by Raise Dead)

So, three extra feats total for the Rogue, while the Cleric (and only the Cleric) would need none.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This I like a lot. I still do not agree with "powers". I just don't like them and it leaves me feeling like the character has to fit their box. The rituals though. Me likee! This they should have done with all those spells no one but the crazy guy used because of the opportunity cost.

As a bonus the term "rituals" and the use in game is the sort of thing that makes ignorant deacon's wives get right on the phone to organize a church meeting. Even as an old guy in rpg years, and despite that I might personally know the deacon and his wife now and be the one having to explain it to them, I still take great pleasure in that.
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you collect 3rd party material (publishers who aren't WotC), rules for ritual casting of spells has been out there for a few years now. I'm not home so I can't quote the book title now, but they are there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If I'm not mistaken it's in the Relics & Rituls book. Not a bad read that one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have my fair share of books, but I do avoid 3rd party and I generally regret the others too. I do like Unearthed Arcana for good alternate ideas, but I do not and would not tell players all or even most of what I might reference, there is enough pressure to allow everything already.

Characters will see it in the game and can pursue it there. For example, (all my examples are a little old since its been a year now), my last setting had a dragon cult which used a form of the spell point variant: vitalizing from UA. The players knew as they battled these casters that they became physically weakened by casting and could sacrifice their health for power. Some even died casting or attempting to cast a last big damage spell. If I had introduced it as a playable class to start it would have tossing out the baby with the bath water. They would have known all about my exciting surprise before they ever encountered it. Bad enough they all memorize the MM and can tell me what page to look on for a magic item.

On a similar note I introduced taint in that same campaign with no notice or warning. Players (not characters) went apeshit. What do mean I feel dirty or infected? Why do I have two points lower Con and Wisdom!?! This is bs. It better not be permanent. That guy who sent us here is dead. I am going to tear his heart from his ...er, my paladin will confront him about his information.

I made up that last part about the pally (no pally), but players HATE (and by hate I mean secretly and never admittedly love) unkown stuff. Especially if it cripples stats (even stats they hardly use). The fact that they hate it tells me they care about the character, the fact that they want to act to do something about it tells me I own them, hook, line and sinker. The fact that they are actually a little worried I might never allow them to reverse it tells me I am walking the line pretty close, which is okay as long as it adds excitement and fun vs. makes them give up (players differ here and I have lost a few when not careful).
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Downloads
    Uploads
    He he he, just wait till Saturday /evilgrin

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. Some things should remain mysterious, surprising and unknown to the players (and their characters). It can be a lot cooler to see your players' faces twist with shock as they mutter "what the heck was that?" instead of "oh, he just cast a [blah] spell and used the [blah] and [blah] feats".
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123