Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Monster Boot Camp Series: Orc

Downloads
    Uploads

Monster Boot Camp Series: Orc

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    - To War! - the horde cried.

- Our lands have been taken from us, our game is being killed and our people starves! - Gruumsh voice was heard as thunder from the Sky - Who will be chieftain that will take back what is ours! Who!!???

To those brave enough to answer Gruumsh call, the purpose of this thread (like the others in this series) is to share strategies to effectively use the monster strengths, ultimate goal is present the PCs with a good and enjoyable challenge.

Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar View Post
    To those brave enough to answer Gruumsh call, the purpose of this thread (like the others in this series) is to share strategies to effectively use the monster strengths, ultimate goal is present the PCs with a good and enjoyable challenge.

Are we talking vs a party of PCs or an Army?

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Are we talking vs a party of PCs or an Army?
    Against a party of PCs is the right assumption. But if anyone has a "Horde" experience that they want to share is also welcome.

Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ugh, him party to dangrous, die-rect assunt to riskly. We fall back, nuke form orbit.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Mmmm. Yes. Only way be sure.

In 3.5, Reach weapons sound like they would be downright hilarious with all the AoOs the party would provoke every turn moving into attack position. Gotta drag myself to the store and get a copy of 4E to see if that would still work...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GC13 View Post
    In 3.5, Reach weapons sound like they would be downright hilarious with all the AoOs the party would provoke every turn moving into attack position. Gotta drag myself to the store and get a copy of 4E to see if that would still work...
    (Un?)fortunately, you now need Threatening Reach for that to work. A few monsters have that, but I don't have my MM yet so I couldn't say which. *Curses Amazon for overselling the 4e gift set*

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mmmm. Yes. Only way be sure.

If you can set up a phalanx or shield wall situation. Hallways, gates choke points and so forth. Reach weapons are the deal. Make the foe come to you and eat what you have to offer.

However... You are asking for an area effect spell at that point.

Therefore, break your group into boxes of four. With reach they can give the party Hell, but not be such a target for area effect spells.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, I was thinking of more of a dispersed unit than a phalanx. Not only are orcs not that disciplined, but it WOULD protect you from AoE. You got your orcs all dispersed, perhaps with Combat Reflexes and 12 or 14 dex, and might have two PCs in their threatened area to thwack. Good times, good times... Quite the melee though...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, I was thinking of more of a dispersed unit than a phalanx. Not only are orcs not that disciplined, but it WOULD protect you from AoE. You got your orcs all dispersed, perhaps with Combat Reflexes and 12 or 14 dex, and might have two PCs in their threatened area to thwack. Good times, good times... Quite the melee though...
    I was thinking on introducing some kind of Team (Pack) strategy from the Orc side, borrowing a little from the oWoD Werewolf. As they rise in power and status, they will obtain "Warg Mounts" and some magical back-up (Either Arcane or Divine spell casters).

As team, they will know the advantages of flanking, taking down first the spell caster, reach weapons, ambush, etc.
    Saluti
    Carlos