Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to figure damage to dead critter??

Downloads
    Uploads

How to figure damage to dead critter??

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    In our game, we killed a T-Rex.

I wanted to cut the head off for a trophy (shrink item blah blah blah)

DM said 5 min (50 rounds)

I said "fine"

That got me thinking about how would you do it via the rules.

I figure the hide is about 2 inches thick each side 4 inch hardness 2 hp 20
    flesh 5 foot hardness 1 x 60 = 60 Hp

Bone .. could not find bone so I figure the spinal cord is stone hardness 8 hp 15/inch figure it is hollow so 3 inches for 45 Hp

I was using a Great Axe and figured on the Coup de Grace rules for crit hits

I figure 7 to 10 rounds at 1d12 (ave 6)

But when I talked about this later the DM said Coup de Grace is only for living things because .... blah blah blah.

What does one use to figure out how much time it takes to chop a tree or a T-Rex head??

Downloads
    Uploads
    i dont know about chopping the head off a t-rex, as i dont have one handy, but if i wanted to know how long it took to chop down a tree, i'd grab an axe and head out into the woods...
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One can easily argue that yo uarte not in combat with a dead critter.

But then again, it isn't really an argument with a point. If the DM says five minutes, no one is trying to kill you while you do it. Play the game, don't worry over the little things.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Truthfully it's one of those things you could sit there and figure out the hardness and hp and rounds of damage. Or you could just take the time the DM says. Simple. Five minutes sounds reasonable if you are being careful about it and don't want to damage your trophy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could always try and look up how long it takes to cut off the head of a cow in a slaughter house. Granted, they're not trying to be careful and they have powered tools to do it, but that would give you an idea if you really want to get that precise with the time.

Personally, I'd go with what most everyone else says, go with what the GM said as far as time was concerned. No one is trying to kill you and you're not trying to complete some mission so the 5 minutes of game time you lost really isn't that big of a deal.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is what I did.

However, the DM likes to Railroad us and says stuff like "ok you can do it but the rest of the party is leaving and you will get lost if you do not follow ... "

I know. Quit if I don't like it; but it is the only game in town.

She will obey the rules if you can find one that points to such a thing which is why I asked.

You all seem to know a lot and I was hoping for some help instead of the obvious which I stated I did in fact do.

However the rest of the story was that after the T-Rex fight the little fellers we rescuted dragged 3 or 4 of their companions out of a tar pit and burried them in less time that it took me to chop of the head.

So, they left; I stayed and took the head. I got lost and teleported home. they got into a fight and needed me and blamed me for the day delay.

I know. The DM is always right. Just sometimes I don't want to ride the rails for no reason.

So, I ask again. Does anyone know any rule for this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for your constructive comments:

Downloads
    Uploads
    The internet has everything on it. Surely somewhere a movie can be found of an elephant being decapitated that can be used as a baseline to figure out the timing required for a T-Rex.
    ... AND ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD SAID, "I NEED A DRINK."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Annshadow View Post
    That is what I did.

However, the DM likes to Railroad us and says stuff like "ok you can do it but the rest of the party is leaving and you will get lost if you do not follow ... "
    That is an issue to take up with the rest of your group. the time to cut a head off is secondary. The real problem is the railroad ride. Deal with the real problem or you will be chashing this kind of thing constatly.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    That is an issue to take up with the rest of your group. the time to cut a head off is secondary. The real problem is the railroad ride. Deal with the real problem or you will be chashing this kind of thing constatly.
    Good advice

Prior to that we had a disagreement about whether a wizard with the Fabricate spell and +14 in Craft Carpentry should be able to build a watch tower with a near by forest for wood.

And then later with a +15 in craft shipbuilding saying that said wizard could take only 5 days off the 3 weeks the module says it takes to repair the ship.

after the entire group got into it for about 1/2 hour the DM said... the module makes it important to not be able to do all this stuff so should I just throw out the entire module???

I guess I'm just venting ... I'm the one with the Craft skills and now I know I'll never be able to build my ships or my estate on this island we find ourselves on and it just makes me sad.

So it seems that we HAVE to do only what the module says...

I emailed the group (cuz it was no point arguing further) if we get the defense the module is forcing us to do out of the way in a week instead of 5 weeks that will give us time to brainstorm... maybe ambush the pirates instead of just waiting to be attacked.

I'm depressed about it because I know none of our ideas will be done because we have to do what the Module says and fight the way the module says the fight will go and blah blah blah ....

That is why I took the stupid head and said "well ... if everyone wants to go I'll see ya later." After all, I belong to an affiliation of big game hunters.
    Last edited by Annshadow; 05-28-2008 at 07:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm depressed about it because I know none of our ideas will be done because we have to do what the Module says and fight the way the module says the fight will go and blah blah blah ....
    Then you need to deal with the DM. I would say you have a problem. And simply venting isn't enough. Confront it, if you are going to be limited to "what the module says", tell him to write fiction and leave the DMing to someone that is creative.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In our game, we killed a T-Rex.

I wanted to cut the head off for a trophy (shrink item blah blah blah)

DM said 5 min (50 rounds)

I said "fine"

That got me thinking about how would you do it via the rules.

I figure the hide is about 2 inches thick each side 4 inch hardness 2 hp 20
    flesh 5 foot hardness 1 x 60 = 60 Hp

Bone .. could not find bone so I figure the spinal cord is stone hardness 8 hp 15/inch figure it is hollow so 3 inches for 45 Hp

I was using a Great Axe and figured on the Coup de Grace rules for crit hits

I figure 7 to 10 rounds at 1d12 (ave 6)

But when I talked about this later the DM said Coup de Grace is only for living things because .... blah blah blah.

What does one use to figure out how much time it takes to chop a tree or a T-Rex head??
    Quote Originally Posted by agoraderek View Post
    i dont know about chopping the head off a t-rex, as i dont have one handy, but if i wanted to know how long it took to chop down a tree, i'd grab an axe and head out into the woods...

Depends on how sharp the axe is and who is swinging it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the module makes it important to not be able to do all this stuff so should I just throw out the entire module???
    That's an awful thing for a DM to say. If she can't be bothered to do the work required then she should not be the DM. Part of the job is adapting to when your players do the unexpected. Next time tell her, yes, throw out the module.

Run your own game. It's hard work but if you feel you could do better you should. Or get together with the other players and voice your problems as a group.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You have to express how frustrating and narrow minded his way of running the game is. If this feeling is shared by the other players then I doubt he would remain deaf to your criticism. It might be done in a more diplomatic way than telling him that he isn't good enough to run a game. I have the impression that the guy is very insecure about his GM skill, and it may explain why he's hiding behind "the module say". Maybe he's a beginner and need to be reassured. Remind him that it isn't him against you guys.

Antagonizing him could be a gamble, especially if he's the leader of the group of players or if you don't feel like stepping up and trying the GM role. My advice for diplomacy comes from you mentioning that it's your only group of players available. Personally, I'd rather leave his campaign... no time for mediocre RPG
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads

Tomorrow's session

We shall see.

I plan to take your advice and adjust it to the DM whom I have known since she and her husband were 16 and are now 40.

We were planning to stop the adventure and Play 4th edition. I was planning to just bide my time, but one of the players wants to continue to level 20 and I simply will not. The adventure as written is one big train ride.

sigh ...
    Last edited by Annshadow; 05-30-2008 at 05:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We shall see.

I plan to take your advice and adjust it to the DM whom I have known since she and her husband were 16 and are now 40.

We were planning to stop the adventure and Play 4th edition. I was planning to just bide my time, but one of the players wants to continue to level 20 and I simply will not. The adventure as written is one big train ride.

sigh ...
    Get her a book on trains. Since you have teleport do as you have suggested and opt out. See if anyone else wishes to opt out as well. You have a month before the pirates arrive? They find a wrecked ship, and nothing else.

Rumble, rumble, rumble, mutiny, mutiny, mutiny.

Seriously a real friend is willing to take constriction criticism. No one should be pushed out of the fun, and you clearly have.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast