Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have your reading tastes changed?

Downloads
    Uploads

Have your reading tastes changed?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    OK everyone's taste do change to some degree as we grow, mature, or simply find new authors that engage your emotions and/or intellect with new ideas and great story telling. And you can enjoy a light read anytime!

Some books you will always remember with fondness because you loved them at the time, but trying to reread them now can be a bit painful

When I bought a new house last year and decided what books to move vs donate, I started flipping through lots of paperbacks that had accumulated over the years. A number of gaming based novels didn't make it. The Horseclans series - well I kept it but man... I guess at 14 they were pretty cool.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I face the same thing with the cartoons of my youth. He-Man, GI Joe, Space Ghost, The Herculoids, Voltron...when I was a child, these were pure awesomeness. But try watching them as an adult...yikes!
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The first novel I remember reading (not any Disney-Comic-TV Version) was "Neverending Story", perhaps I was 10 or so … (I am pretty sure it was not the first story I read, but is the one that I remember that was not a “modified” version). So time went by and read things like Call of the Wild/White Fang, Jules Verne, Emilio Salgari, Alexandre Dumas, etc.

LotR and Chronicles of Dragonlace were my first fantasy novels around my 17s, along with some SciFi Clockwork Orange, Foundation Series and some Michael Crichton novels.

In my early 20’s I became a “Nationalist” and moved to latin-american authors such as Garcia Marquez, Vargas Llosa, Isabel Allende, Laura Esquivel and Borges. Oh! And yes, Pablo Neruda’s poems have that special effect on women (as in the movie “Il Postino).

I guess Neil Gaiman got me back, read most of them, read the Robot Series, Animal Farm and 1984. Thanks to Pirates of the Caribbean I read the “Captain Alatriste Series”
    The WoD pushed me to Interview with the Vampire->Queen of the Damned.

Now I am trying some Classics, last book was the “Jungle Book”, my favorite was Rikki-Tikki-Tavi.

Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't say they really have. I still enjoy my old favorites. I recently reread "The White Dragon" and enjoyed it every bit as much as the first time.

I have gotten out of the reading habit due to poor eyesight for the longest time. Glasses corrected I am getting myself back into the habit by reading old favorites.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    when i was a kid, all things fantasy. lieber, tolkein, donaldson, aspirin, poul anderson (three hearts and three lions is still a fave, the d&d troll and the "pharisees" from queen of the demonweb pits were lifted whole cloth from that book).

in high school, i still read fantasy, but my tastes veered more towards "literature" type fiction and a lot of non-fiction, particularly history and philosophy.

now, i mix it up a bit, i'll read some fantasy, some modern lit type stuff (bellow and greene are faves right now) and non-fiction. with my schedule, however, it takes me a week or two to read a book when i used to be able to burn through one a day...
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by agoraderek View Post
    when i was a kid, all things fantasy. lieber, tolkein, donaldson, aspirin, poul anderson (three hearts and three lions is still a fave, the d&d troll and the "pharisees" from queen of the demonweb pits were lifted whole cloth from that book).

in high school, i still read fantasy, but my tastes veered more towards "literature" type fiction and a lot of non-fiction, particularly history and philosophy.

now, i mix it up a bit, i'll read some fantasy, some modern lit type stuff (bellow and greene are faves right now) and non-fiction. with my schedule, however, it takes me a week or two to read a book when i used to be able to burn through one a day...
    We just lost Bob Asprin. He died Thursday. We don't have the casue of death yet. the old Gang from A2 and I are in a bit of a state of shock.

Poul Anderson was a regular at the Micihigan cons. We miss him too. In died 2001, it doesn't feel like that long.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    We just lost Bob Asprin. He died Thursday. We don't have the casue of death yet. the old Gang from A2 and I are in a bit of a state of shock.
    wow, i didnt know...

the "myth" books and the thieve's world books really shaped how i approached a lot of my gaming. i stole the "d-hopper" as a high level magic item for my homebrew campaign...

robert aspirin, thank you for years of escape and for always putting a smile on my face. long live skeeve the great!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have to sat that yes my reading tastes changed once I was introduced to D&D 2E in 1991. Before that, I would not have given a thought of reading anything like it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    I would have to sat that yes my reading tastes changed once I was introduced to D&D 2E in 1991. Before that, I would not have given a thought of reading anything like it.
    Fiction vs non-fiction. D&D game books fall into non-fiction.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i started with hardy boys. swiftly ran through the entire children's mystery section... then branched into sci-fi. finally fantasy. throughout i've had occasionaly forays into almost everything else.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I face the same thing with the cartoons of my youth. He-Man, GI Joe, Space Ghost, The Herculoids, Voltron...when I was a child, these were pure awesomeness. But try watching them as an adult...yikes!
    i tried to watch some of the original translation "battle of the planets" on youtube the other day. it was painful...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by agoraderek View Post
    i tried to watch some of the original translation "battle of the planets" on youtube the other day. it was painful...
    Loony Tunes are still as good as ever. I got another box of the Gold collection. "They must be mine!"
    Last edited by tesral; 06-01-2008 at 11:52 PM. Reason: damn those silent 3s.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Loony Tunes are still as good as ever. I got another box of the Gold collection. "They must be mine!"
    Agreed. Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, Foghorn Leghorn, Wylie Coyote and the others still make me giggle after all these years. Some things never go out of style.

As far as my early reading goes, the first “books” I remember getting into (besides Dr. Seuss and other children’s books) was the Encyclopedia Brown series. I also frequently borrowed Eastman and Laird's original black-and-white Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics from the local library and must have read them a dozen times or more. From there it didn’t take long before I began reading fantasy and sci-fi from The Hobbit to Star Wars.
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Agreed. Bugs, Daffy, Sylvester, Foghorn Leghorn, Wylie Coyote and the others still make me giggle after all these years. Some things never go out of style.

As far as my early reading goes, the first “books” I remember getting into (besides Dr. Seuss and other children’s books) was the Encyclopedia Brown series.
    I have some experience with Brown. It is good stuff.

The secret to Loony toons or for that matter anything that appeals to all ages? Don't write down. If you look at the stuff that even older children hate it is all written for the age level. The Loony Toons were not written for children. They were intended as the shorts between the features the way movie houses used to be run. You paid your ticket and waked in. It might be the middle of the film. You watched to the end, there were a couple of short, a newsreel and a second film. More same and you left when you got to where you came in. All content.

Well because they were intended for adult consumption, but must meet the standards of the day and be entertaining to children as well, the toons are not written for children. Result they meet the goal of being entertaining to all. Kids dig the slapstick, adults get the more subtle jokes that go right by the kiddies.

Lesson: If you want material that lasts, don't write down.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

As far as my early reading goes, the first “books” I remember getting into (besides Dr. Seuss and other children’s books) was the Encyclopedia Brown series. I also frequently borrowed Eastman and Laird's original black-and-white Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comics from the local library and must have read them a dozen times or more. From there it didn’t take long before I began reading fantasy and sci-fi from The Hobbit to Star Wars.

Not sure which thread, (to lazy at this time to research it), but if you find it, there is a discussion about the coyote and roadrunner, of which started from my town's name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast