Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Feats

Downloads
    Uploads

Feats

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Many feats taken at first level are great. By the time the character hits lvl 8+, they are pretty much useless. Dodge, Combat Casting, and so on. For a while I have actually considered having the ability for feats to mature. Your feats would get better as you level, just like spells get better. I plan on implementing this idea, but not sure about how to level some feats. I wanted feats to get better at every level divisible by 5. Of course most feats should not get better. The metamagic feats are ok as they are for most of them.

examples:
    Dodge - +1 vs 1 foe at 1st lvl, +2 at 5th, +3 10th, +4 15th, +5 20th
    Weapon Focus - same as Dodge
    Weapon Spec - +2 at 4th, +4 at 12, +6 at 20th (leveled slower to keep from overpowering)
    Spell Penetration - +1 to DC of one school of spells at 1st, +2 at 8th, +3 at 16th

Combat Casting giving a +4 to Concentration is good for lower levels, but alot more useless at higher levels and is only good for casting defensively. For advancement am not to sure where to go, as more of a bonus is not really needed.

The changes to these feats make some other feats useless, but allows for more variation to what a character can do.
    ... AND ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD SAID, "I NEED A DRINK."

Downloads
    Uploads
    The bonus to those feats is that they are mostly the beginning of a chain of feats or pre-reqs of classes.
    EX.
    Weapon Focus to get Specalization, which is needed for weapon master
    So I don't think it's a problem

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I made a change to dodge in my games, mostly because I didn't want to have to keep up with who-is-dodging-who for the enemies and players. So, instead, the dodge feat gives a straight +1 dodge bonus versus all attackers. That may make it worth while all the way through 20th.

I would disagree that the feats should be changed to give a larger bonus at later levels. These feats should be giving slight edges, not be character defining. If you have two warrior types, and Warrior A has weapon focus and weapon specialization and Warrior B does not, Warrior B shouldn't be at a huge disadvantage just because of two feats. By continuing to increase the bonuses, you are tilting the scales.

D&D already provides for improving some of these base feats by taking the next in the progression -- Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Focus, for example. I'd suggest you approach it like that. I.e. If you want to provide a way for dodge to get better, then let the character take "Greater Dodge," and so on.

Still, you have to be very careful about how much you let feats stack, or you may quickly find that one feat is far more valuable than any others. Or worse, you will find there are feats that if you don't take them, you are at a significant disadvantage to people who did. And I don't think that is what was intended for feats to do.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For feats that have preq (like dodge) they should not be changed. Besides--that dodge could be the one thing that prevents a PC from getting hit. Nor should it improve. What improves dodge is the slew of other feats you can take in the tree with dodge as a prerequisite.

For feats that may not be useful at later level there is always retraining rules. Swapping Combat casting for another can be done with the retraining rules.