Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Expanded Your DM Horizons?

Downloads
    Uploads

What Expanded Your DM Horizons?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Ok, what additional materials affected the way your run your games? I am not talking core rule books. I am talking about items such as mats, supplemental books, dice roll generators, DM screens and other misc crap used. Or even columns written with advice.

My first dual-sided hex/square vinyl map was pretty awesome. Up to that point we had been using a poker table with squares drawn by marker onto its surface. My friend was grounded from RPing at his house for a month. (We had also been using the green plastic Army men for figures.)

We had been playing for about 2 years before we discovered the DM screen. We bought most of our stuff from the small shop in our town that mostly catered to collectable sports cards. With the advent of the internet, we discovered the DM screen. Oh Happy Day!

And my favorite set of books ever was Grimtooth's Traps. I still use them to this day. I so love those books. Many an upstart thief (and once a whole party) has met their end by prying into areas they were warned away from. Not much works needs to be done to keep those books useful.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The computer. What I was able to do after the computer was so much better than anything I did before it.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    What got my attention? One of the dnd core books, I think it was 'Wilderness Guide', had several pages of hex fields in the back. I sliced this out and made hundreds of copies, which I still use today.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Transylvania for Vampire: The Dark Ages

It got me to experiment with lighting (candles), music, and other props. Plus it got me thinking more about who my NPCs are and what are their motivations.

Probably not the answer you were expecting but it really made me a better DM for D&D and GM for every other game.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably the biggest effect was from reading other games. Looking at how HERO or GURPS would accomplish the same task changed the way I used D&D.

The Complete Book of Villains for AD&D2 was a nice compilation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TAROT View Post
    The Complete Book of Villains for AD&D2 was a nice compilation.
    Excellent book.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    The computer. What I was able to do after the computer was so much better than anything I did before it.

I have to agree with tesral. With the use of the computer, it helps to keep information readily available. It has also helped with supplying maps to the party as well as other props.

Downloads
    Uploads
    my laptop... having every single core rulebook & supplemental book at my fingertips as a .pdf file made running a session much easier.

Also, Paizo publishing's run on Dragon & Dungeon mag was great. I kept my older brothers old issues from the 80's, and I had a few from the mid 90's, but after that they all sucked IMO. Then one day I was waiting for a train & decided to pick up a copy to kill time, and WOW, it was great. I loved the adventure paths in Dungeon, and Dragon actually had interesting stuff in it (no Dragon Mirth comics, but you can't have everything)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilrex View Post
    Ok, what additional materials affected the way your run your games? I am not talking core rule books. I am talking about items such as mats, supplemental books, dice roll generators, DM screens and other misc crap used. Or even columns written with advice.
    Adding minis to the game made a huge change for me. Before minis I would describe combatant as being in melee, medium or long range. I'd worked out how long it would take to change between those if you chose. When we added minis I think some folks could follow what was going on a lot easier and I was able to get more tactics into the fights. It also ment we had to take up more space on the table, less room for pizza and chips.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Walls made from Castlemolds (www.castlemolds.com). Faster than tiles or even drawing, and you don't get dry-erase ink all over your hands.

I never understood how people successfully play without minis and a board. Players just seem to want to be in two places at once all the time (that is, close enough to be next to the action, and far enough away to be perfectly safe.) If a player says, "Wait, wasn't I there too?" I point at the board.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Similair idea. Finding the DnD 2nd Ed Core Rules Program. Having a dice roller, every single 2nd Ed book, and printable character sheets all on a computer made life so easy. It also made using Player's Options Rules plausible for my group. Player's Option was too much of a headache to try to write out, but with the computer walking you through the character creation, it was easy.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by StarLady98 View Post
    Similair idea. Finding the DnD 2nd Ed Core Rules Program. Having a dice roller, every single 2nd Ed book, and printable character sheets all on a computer made life so easy. It also made using Player's Options Rules plausible for my group. Player's Option was too much of a headache to try to write out, but with the computer walking you through the character creation, it was easy.
    The 2e core CD was the basis of my custom rules. The RTFs are editable and I have with a will.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 2e core CD was the basis of my custom rules. The RTFs are editable and I have with a will.

This is the first I heard about a CD with all the 2E information on it. I'm sure it is as nice as it sounds.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The RAVENLOFT Campaign 2e. All the suggestions for the DM are great.

Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post

This is the first I heard about a CD with all the 2E information on it. I'm sure it is as nice as it sounds.
    The programs that came on the CD were so-so. I found I could write an encounter faster by hand that the program could generate one. The PC generator didn't allow any exceptions or rule changes. So you couldn't enter a non core class for example, or give anyone an exceptional strength.

However that is more than made up for in the fact that the books were present in RTF format as well as the art from the Monstrous Compendium. It was the first time we could get our hands on editable D&D books.
    Last edited by tesral; 05-22-2008 at 01:07 PM. Reason: that spwelling thing

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast