Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parents Guide to Fantasy and SciFi Literature

Downloads
    Uploads

Parents Guide to Fantasy and SciFi Literature

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Well, I guess it was time for a new Thread.

The purpose of the project is to suggest and ultimately create a guideline for parents to know if a particular work of literature is appropriate to their kids age.

I suggest using age groups:
    7-8
    9-11
    12-13
    14-17

Would it be fair to assume that most of the time, once a book is read it won’t be pick up again by the Kid? This assumption is to not only consider those elements that may prevent a parent to give a particular book to for example a 9y, but also to suggest that maybe a specific novel may be more attractive or educational to a more mature mind.

Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Age 9 -11
    The Hobbit

Ages 12 - 13
    All Jules Verne Classics
    Martian Chronicles
    Chronicles of Dragon Lance
    Lord of the Rings
    Jurassic Park
    Stardust
    Neverwhere

Age 13-17
    Silmarillion
    Interview with the Vampire (and other Ann Rice Vampire Novels)
    Call of Chtulhu (and other Mythos novels)
    American Gods
    Dune

For some reason my mind is blocking everything for the little one, I better wait for other people's suggestions.

Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How about a differnet approach. Read the books your kids do.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You forgot Narnia in your list.

Really, though, let your kids read what they're interested in reading. I read most of the works of Edgar Allen Poe in grade school (although that might not be the best example), and pretty much anything I could get my hands on in high school.

If you're worried about sex and violence -- and for some reason parents in America worry more about the former than the latter -- make sure you know what your kids are reading, and discuss what they've read. I know that's more work that assembling a whitelist, but if you restrict a kid's reading he'll find anything not on the list all the more tempting.

(I also wonder about the 12-13 category ... are those years somehow magic?)
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    You forgot Narnia in your list.

Really, though, let your kids read what they're interested in reading. I read most of the works of Edgar Allen Poe in grade school (although that might not be the best example), and pretty much anything I could get my hands on in high school.

If you're worried about sex and violence -- and for some reason parents in America worry more about the former than the latter -- make sure you know what your kids are reading, and discuss what they've read. I know that's more work that assembling a whitelist, but if you restrict a kid's reading he'll find anything not on the list all the more tempting.
    Amen bother, preach it! I am firmly in favor of connection and conversation, firmly not in favor of "lists" of approved and unapproved books.

Fact is when I was told a book was "bad for me", I had to go read it and see what the problem was (Johnathan Livingston Seagull in case you wondered, the Pastor was railing against same) What I found was a light hearted fantasy that didn't really deserve the attention. My Father was upset that I had read it. My reaction was "Why? It's fluff, fantasy, talking seagulls. Half an hour of amusement. Get a grip."

That is the point. The book is harmless. You are not going to limit exposure to books, music and films. In the long run it is a battle you will loose. Take the advice of the Bible whether you are a Christian or not. "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." -- Proverbs 22:6 In plain speaking English, parent. Those first five years are a foundation that cannot be ignored. You cannot censor the world, train the child.
    Last edited by tesral; 05-02-2008 at 10:35 PM.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    (I also wonder about the 12-13 category ... are those years somehow magic?)
    Maybe I was influenced by the DnD stat system.

Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am speechless. And the worst thing is that I agree with all said and now am trying to figure out why the whole thing came out so wrong.

My “Inner Debate” is in how to guide in this case my children to be ready for the world and for them to take the best advantage of what world is offering.

I am all for “you should wait until you are ___ because…” and all against “No, you can not read this”. And perhaps in my mind I was hoping to get some help on the first one.

Now that I see it, yes it looks a lot like a “White list”. Shame on me.
    Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    How about a differnet approach. Read the books your kids do.

On a similar note, how about reading to your children, when they are in the younger groups especially.

Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as fantacy goes, add to the list, anything by Edgar Rice Bourghes, Sir Author Canon Doyal, and Robert A. Heinlein. ERB wrote Tarzan, Plucidar, and the Mars stories, the Knight wrote Holmes, and Heinlein did a lot of Scifi.
    My mother had these when I was a small boy and I reread them voraciously, over and over. When I left home she and I had a big fight over who actually had the right to keep them. Well, she kept most of them, but every time I visited, one would disappear.

Of course, when my kids began leaving home, those books did another disappearing act.

Turn about is fair play, parents, just teach them the joy of reading. They can get the joy of other stuff on their own.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Downloads
    Uploads
    My kids are 6 and 8 (now) on wed. the previous 2 yrs up till about 6 months ago my wife worked the evening shift. I went through may frustrating nights trying to balance getting everybody fed, and prepared for school, and still have a "guys night" (they're both boys) after a few weeks I started reading to them (one of the Harry Potter books) they had seen and liked the movies so they knew the characters. They liked it so much I banned TV for wed. nights; since then I've read them the rest of the series (3) and am currently on the Hobbit.

My 8y reads alot of stuff from the scholastic catalogs they get at school and those people are very good at pegging age groups (it's their job) There's a good portion of new fantasy also due to the popularity of Rowling's books. Also as a reward for him aceing spelling tests, I take him to the comic store (they have games there too ; ) and let him pick something out. (You do have to skim tho..comics have some adult themes too) The adaptations of the Salvatore novels are real good and D&Dish (they're almost all out in graphic novels now too) I like them myself....although I know they're generally looked upon as one of the munchkin creating forces out there. (neophyte D&D games rife with Drizzt's and Legolas's)

I tried reading Burroughs, and I was amazed at how archaic the language he used is. Princess of Mars was a tough outloud read, and they seemed disnterested (I loved it) so I put it off...they can just read it themselves in a couple yrs. I read them "The Cats of Ulthar" every Halloween to give them a little taste of Lovecraft; It implies the horrific but it's otherwise lite. Also Tolkien's "Roverandum" is a good read for 8-10 yr old or to read too 5-8yr old. well I rambled enought that;='s my 10 cents for now

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac
    On a similar note, how about reading to your children, when they are in the younger groups especially.
    Yea verily I tell you. That is exactly how my Mother instilled a love of reading in me. It's how good thinkers are made. I have read and loved to read from the age of four, and I have questioned everything since.

Quote Originally Posted by amardolem View Post
    They liked it so much I banned TV for wed. nights; since then I've read them the rest of the series (3) and am currently on the Hobbit.
    You rock dude.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Yea verily I tell you. That is exactly how my Mother instilled a love of reading in me. It's how good thinkers are made. I have read and loved to read from the age of four, and I have questioned everything since.

There are times that I am in the middle of doing something else, even a couple of times while on this site, that my 2 1/2 year old has wanted to read books. I always stop and read whatever book(s) she wants me to. I do not want to make her think that reading is not fun and I also don't want her thinking that daddy doesn't have time to spend with her.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post

There are times that I am in the middle of doing something else, even a couple of times while on this site, that my 2 1/2 year old has wanted to read books. I always stop and read whatever book(s) she wants me to. I do not want to make her think that reading is not fun and I also don't want her thinking that daddy doesn't have time to spend with her.
    Then I must say that you rock also.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    if I only get to rock for one thing, that's the one I'm picking!!

thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can understand the 'Inner Debate' problem. My mother, may she rest in peace, did a little teaching that way also. Which I tried to copy, as well. There were books that were not on our church's approved list. When one or another was brought to attention, she would simply cation me, "That is not a worthwhile book."

If I questioned it or actually got a copy, She would tell me it taught a bad lesson or idea, and give an appropriate moral point.

I gradually understood that even 'just for fun' books could have serious things to discuss. I did my best to try and teach my children the same. With varying degrees of success.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast