Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Commonly do DM's use Monster INT's??

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    Also, 4e is getting away from the concept of monsters and PCs having the same rules, so I suspect that most monsters are going to stop having INT scores (or any scores beyond their attack and defense bonuses.)
    Everything old is new again. Sounds just like the old days of 1st ed.

I am highly against separate rules for player characters and "monsters". I don't see the universe as knowing the difference. So my rules don't know the difference.

Last night a group of eight 8th level PCs took down a 40th level magician just proving the power of the many. Yes he used that high Int stat, but when you get dog piled and grappled there isn't much you can do about it. Sure he killed three of them and left the rest staggering with one spell, but they got closely and very personally intimate with keeping him from doing that again.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow Tesral, keep it PG-13 please ! I'm all sweaty with those subliminal pictures of yours about hot promiscuity with a gray beard wizard ! I hope you mention the proper use of condoms to your players...
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    Wow Tesral, keep it PG-13 please ! I'm all sweaty with those subliminal pictures of yours about hot promiscuity with a gray beard wizard ! I hope you mention the proper use of condoms to your players...
    Dude, you have not seen me get dirty.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    I am highly against separate rules for player characters and "monsters". I don't see the universe as knowing the difference. So my rules don't know the difference.
    I'd rather have asymmetrical rules than have to follow the PC's character generation system for everything the party encounters. The NPCs don't need the same level of options and balance that PCs do, so it just seems like overkill to know every last stat about them.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    I'd rather have asymmetrical rules than have to follow the PC's character generation system for everything the party encounters. The NPCs don't need the same level of options and balance that PCs do, so it just seems like overkill to know every last stat about them.
    Ya think? Like it was in 1st/2nd editions and before that?

Every thing old is new again.

I rather like having the monsters stated out. And if you know anything about your encounter you don't need to stat every every little thing. I don't use feats and I don't tend to do monster skills. It doesn't come up.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    My players have long since found out that dozen hobgoblin slavers are a nasty group to be ambushed by no matter the level you are. All it takes is one enhanced net of entangling to drop on thier big melee guy and a stone with a permenet spell of 15' r of silence on it chucked at the feet of the spell casters (the hobgoblins used the stone to also sneak up on the PCs too!). Guess they should be more careful when tracking down the slavers in thier own woods....

My point, even lowly goblins and orcs can be deadly to epic charecters with the right background story. give a colony of goblins a hunderd years to build complex, deadly traps coupled with hidden arrow slit all through out the dungeon, and you have a dungeon orginally designed for 1-4 level PC to a 6-8 levels needed.

As for the 100 vs 1, unlikely unless the PC did something extrodinary or executed a superb plan perfectly. A mass of 100 can just over run him. Once pinned down, no need to roll for a dozen daggers that are slipped between the PCs armor. Instant death. hee hee hee.
    When I visit reality, I go as a tourist.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmall View Post
    My players have long since found out that dozen hobgoblin slavers are a nasty group to be ambushed by no matter the level you are. All it takes is one enhanced net of entangling to drop on thier big melee guy and a stone with a permenet spell of 15' r of silence on it chucked at the feet of the spell casters (the hobgoblins used the stone to also sneak up on the PCs too!). Guess they should be more careful when tracking down the slavers in thier own woods....

My point, even lowly goblins and orcs can be deadly to epic charecters with the right background story. give a colony of goblins a hunderd years to build complex, deadly traps coupled with hidden arrow slit all through out the dungeon, and you have a dungeon orginally designed for 1-4 level PC to a 6-8 levels needed.

As for the 100 vs 1, unlikely unless the PC did something extrodinary or executed a superb plan perfectly. A mass of 100 can just over run him. Once pinned down, no need to roll for a dozen daggers that are slipped between the PCs armor. Instant death. hee hee hee.

Comes down to how good the DM is.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post

Comes down to how good the DM is.

How very very true
    When I visit reality, I go as a tourist.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12