Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the Second: Into the Darkness

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Variorum of Victoria: Chapter the Second: Into the Darkness

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    You have a fine close up view of lots of fur, some clothing, a few elbows, knees, and toes, and some of the metallic netting as a bonus. You are prodded and poked as the monkeys attempt to likewise reorient themselves. Your attention is drawn by the cable trailing into the dark opening as it twitches. Concentrating, you can hear metallic noises coming from within as the cable twitches several more times. The metallic noises get louder and more prolonged with each twitch of the cable. The cable suddenly goes taunt, and the net begins slowly sliding into the opening, knocking most everyone over again.

    ...The darkness swallows you.
    Last edited by nijineko; 07-29-2013 at 04:43 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    When the cable goes taught and starts dragging us once again I try to prevent myself from crushing any monkeys as we're knocked off our feet and pulled toward the darkness. I grab the nearest monkey, hug it and wonder what I did to the Gods to deserve this nightmare.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Eventually the dragging stops, and you hear a harsh metallic clang that reverberates about you, followed by the whining rattling as the door ratchets its way down, shutting out the stream of light entering from without. The mesh becomes slack and loose. A small number of bars overhead, floating in mid-air, flicker and begin glowing with a feeble light and buzzing, flickering noise.

    You find yourself in a metal enclosure with very tall tightly meshed walls, and a partly open top covered only by a slender grid of widely spaced bars. There are numerous hulking shadows surrounding with banks of small winking lights of many colors flickering on and off. Climbing up the outside of the mesh on some sort of tracks joined to the outside of the walls of your cage, is a construct with large manipulators hanging from long dangling arms, small padded limbs, and many ropes and cables going up out of sight. The padding on the manipulators is cracked and worn, ripped missing large chunks. It emits a sort of grumbling as it struggles jerkily up the track, which you can see joins the overhead grid of bars. It bangs the mesh with one arm in an almost frustrated sort of way whenever it slips back down slightly and the grumbling gets louder as well. Some minutes later, it finally achieves the top, after a precarious balancing act over the corner. It reminds you somewhat of a spider, though it does not really look like one.
    Last edited by nijineko; 08-29-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I look around and see what I can figure out. Are we moving along with the construct? How do things respond to me if, I say, bang on the walls and yell? What happens if a monkey does the same? Can I climb the walls? Are they tall as in two of me kind of high or 100 metres kind of high? What kind of things can I see that I could make use of, like broken bits or rocks or something? How small or large is the pen, or whatever it is, I'm in? Like am I squished together with the monkeys or is there room to move?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    You appear to be in some kind of cage. The walls are of a metal mesh that is closely woven, if rusted and pitted, reinforced by a loose grid of bars on the outside. It is much to tight to get even a finger through, though if you had a pointed tool such as an awl, it might be able to be thrust into the chinks. You estimate that the mesh walls go up about 40' or so. Banging on the walls causes you to yell, they give off a mild shock somehow. The monkeys also get shocked when they try, also, the shocking seems to get more intense with more banging. The yelling is ignored by the thing up on the grid above. There is a lot of dust inside the enclosure which is about 20' square. As such, there is room enough to move around. You notice that the dust is a combination of dust and rust.

    The thing sitting up above grumbles to itself, emitting an occasional spark, and moves back and forth slightly.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    When I get shocked from banging on the cage I don't bother getting the monkeys to try, though I can't stop them if they try on their own. If I were to pry away some of the mesh wall with my dagger would it shock me and, if not, would I be able to see a way to go? If not then I see about going up. How many monkeys do I have with me?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    If your dagger conducts, then you will get shocked. Poking it may move the mesh enough to get a slightly better peephole. The mesh seems to be made of woven and rust pitted metallic strands. There are twelve monkeys with you, in various states of health. Above you the construct emits some more noises, rattles, drops its arms through the openings, and keeps dropping them, as they apparently extend.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    If the shock didn't feel too bad then I try to dig a hole in the mesh with my dagger, suffer the small shocks, and try to see if there's a way to escape. If it's a really bad shock then I wait and see what the construct is doing exactly, if it's going to grab something I make sure I'm that thing.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    The shocks escalate rapidly as you keep poking at it, going from small bite to numb your arms and knock you on your rear rather quickly. You try to clear your head while you warily watch the construct. It indeed attempts to herd the monkeys into a corner with what look to be threatened grabbing motions. After a bit, it notices you and brackets you with its hand units, and when you don't run it closes its hands about you. What is left of the padding on the finger-like parts reek of mold and oil and rust. The unpadded parts are quite uncomfortable and pinch you as it hauls you part way up. It is a jerky rise and the construct emits more grumbles and sparks.

    You come to a halt about half-way up the enclosure, dangling in mid-air. What you thought of as the 'head' portion of the construct extends down into the enclosure on another 'arm' much like the others. You see numerous clouded and cracked lenses and odd protrusions as it draws near. Stopping out of the reach of your limbs, the lenses glow and emit a stuttering light. It examines you from various angles, even flipping you upside down whereupon it attempts to get a view in between your legs.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Well unless it can scan through clothing.. a lot of clothing, it's not going to see much, still... How rude! I think and attempt to cast inflict moderate damage on the arms that are holding me.

    [yes I realise that I'm probably going to fall.]

    * Attack Roll *


    * Damage roll if attack succeeds *


    [Let me know if I need to change anything]

    [Cursed Dice! D:<]


    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-24-2013 02:52 PM
    Attack Roll: 1d20 (9)+ 4 (4) = 13
    Damage roll if attack succeeds: 2d8 (5,7 = 12) + 6 (6) = 18

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    You manage to wiggle one of your arms free and lay hand upon the gripping portion of the construct. Enough of the hand crumbles to dust that the construct loses its grip on you, whereupon you promptly tumble to the ground. The construct protests this sudden failure of the limb with more banging, clattering and muttering... but it desists attempting to herd and scan the lot of you. It climbs back down the outside of the cage (more of a barely controlled fall, really) and trundles off noisily. After some time, a narrow slab of the floor off to one side jerks and begins to tilt down and outwards. Natural light filters in through the opening, as does a slight breeze bearing fresher air.


    {{{ if you have the tumble skill you can attempt to lessen the damage of the fall, but you must get a 15 or more to do so. otherwise you take
    * falling damage *
    . if you have DR or some other form of protection, you may subtract it. }}}

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-25-2013 02:26 PM
    falling damage: 2d6 (4,6 = 10)
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    * Tumble check *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    09-27-2013 06:16 PM
    Tumble check: 1d20 (13)+ 4 (4) = 17

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    {{{ with that result, you only take four points of damage instead of ten, less any DR you may have. congrats! ^^ i imagine that you pick yourself up off the dusty filthy floor, asap. what next? }}}
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    106
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Well unless something catches my attention right away I check on the monkeys after picking myself up. If they're okay then I check out my surroundings. If not then, unless I'm in obvious danger, I tend to the injured monkeys as best as I can and then check out my surroundings and see what I've gotten myself into.

    [Did you want me to roll a heal check or anything? and no DR and Yay to less damage. Did you want me to send you an updated version of my Character sheet? Also, do you have a copy of her background story still? I seem to have lost my copy...]

    HP: 44/48
    Last edited by Arahira; 09-28-2013 at 01:17 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Jordan
    Posts
    5,171
    Blog Entries
    41
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    The monkeys seem to be okay, those who are hale are assisting those who are injured. (Mostly bumps, bruises, pinches and scrapes from the rough transportation.) Some strips of cloth from your tatters are gladly accepted for those whose scrapes are the worst.

    You are still in the metal cage, but a portion of the floor along one side has tilted down into a ramp down to a space under the floor. It appears to be a tunnel, as you can see a more natural light and smell fresh air coming from the opening.

    There appears to be nothing else happening, so eventually the lot of you move through the grimy tunnel, which is low enough to force you to crouch or crawl to get through. You emerge into an area open to the sky, which is almost blinding compared to inside the structure. As your eyes adjust, you perceive that the area you are in is open, with brown stunted grass, oddly shaped rocks, and some things that looks like leafless trees, but are the same color as the oddly shaped rocks. At one end there is a wall that looks vaguely like a miniature mountain, with large openings in it at different levels. There is a small stream trickling down the 'mountain' and it forms a pool before it continues along the side and disappears over an edge. The other end seems to have a large gap or ravine wrapped all along it, on the far side of which is a tall wall, the top of which you cannot see. From some of the 'trees' hang rusted metal chains which have large grayish tori, open in the center and hollow, attached. The area seems to be several hundred feet square in size.

    With a grating sound, the opening closes.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •