Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: CoS: Campaign announcements and parameters (open for everyone to post and ask questions!)

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

CoS: OoC (Players only)

Here is where everyone who is playing can post everything out of character. Players only, please!
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

CoS: Campaign announcements and parameters (open for everyone to post and ask questions!)

general announcements and rules for the campaign:

It started off as an ordinary enough day.... pleasant weather, the usual concerns that needed to get done, the usual people passed on your way. You pause, hearing an intriguing tune, and realize that you've been hearing it or variations of it throughout the day. You haven't heard it before today, is it a new popular song, you wonder? Momentarily distracted by the music, you step around a corner and smack into a something that wasn't there a moment before. Or rather, stumble into it, literally into it. You float suspended in... something... that resists your movements something like water or jelly but feels like air. Glancing around yourself, you can still see your surroundings, distorted by whatever it is that holds you. People walk by, never noticing or reacting to you in any way, even passing through the edges of the pillar-looking thing that is holding you.

There is a "sensation" behind you and it sings the song you have heard all day long. You swim-turn around to see a area begin to glow and receede from you. The brighter the glow, the farther away it appears to be, until you have a sense of vertigo. From an enormous distance away, something appears to be moving towards you. Eventually you make out a personage. As they draw close you see that it is actually a chain of persons, both men and women, holding hands and looking stretched out to an enormous degree. Strain is evident on their faces. They are dressed in odd attire, completely unfamiliar. They all look somewhat transparent. The personage at the end of this chain of people draws close and stretches out her hand. Her mouth moves. If you stretched out your arm to it's fullest extension you could just grasp her hand. Suddenly, you hear a voice, soft, blurred, and somewhat distorted coming from a great distance, like an echo without a source. The words spoken are melodic, alien, unknown. The meaning abruptly drops into your head. "Help us, please we beg of you. You are uniquely suited to assist us in our time of need. We have sought across time and space to find some few whom by being who and what they are, can be the answer to our need. You are such an one. You can save our world, our people, our lives. Please, we beg of you, come to our aid! Take my hand, please!"

welcome to your story! the exact details of this campaign will be a surprise. (muahahahah!) however, as most of my campaigns do, it takes place in a modified greyhawk settings. this particular campaign has a feature unique from any of my other campaigns. in fact, this is the first time that I’ve done this. lucky you. you may choose as your origin any setting that has been supported by any edition of d&d during any part of its history. additionally, as a special option, you may choose to play as yourself-from the real world-converted into d&d stats. for example, you may choose to play someone from modern greyhawk, or darksun, or lankhmar, or eberron, d20 modern, or d20 future, or even as yourself. despite your origin, the character must be (d&d) 3.0 and 3.5 compliant. for settings which do not have an official 3.0 or 3.5 update, we will have to work out the details together. if you choose to do yourself, we will have to do some comparisons and contrasts to see roughly where you fall.

source materials: all official wotc publications to include books, dungeon and dragon magazines, and the wotc website articles. books not allowed-these are boed, bovd, eoe, ee, fc1 and fc2. books like epic and deities will have to be qualified for as usual via in-game context. all source materials used need to be quoted so that i can reference. the dm will be using these materials as well.

character level: 1st through 6th is allowed, exact level to be determined later. starting wealth will be as appropriate for the level. xp will be the minimum to qualify for the level.

races: all races which have a final ecl of 6 or below are allowed. races with a higher ecl might be considered if they have a racial level breakout, or if one can be made for them. keep in mind that this includes all races in d&d which fit under the 3.0-3.5 umbrella, even d20 ones.

equipment: anything that appears in the allowed source materials and for which qualifications your character meets is fair game. however, due to the unusual starting nature of this campaign, your exact starting equipment will be not only determined by your starting wealth, but by what your character would happen to have on them during a typical "day off". the rest will be considered as ‘credit’ that you will be provided a way to use shortly after campaign start. i’ll allow you to blow it all on something nice, even. i find that such characters quickly learn the “for want of a nail” lesson. saving it up to use as credit might be worth your while, however. ;D

classes and prestige: anything from the allowed source materials for which the character qualifies is allowed. i do prefer a good reason for odd or unlikely choices. with lots of supporting background story... the more implausible the selection, the more detailed the justification required. non-standard choices are fine, but it should make for an interesting story as to why this particular character managed to learn that rare/unusual/little-known thing. please include said story. same goes for race and equipment choices, btw.

self as character: we will have to work together closely to identify your ecl.

if you have questions, ask. there are no stupid questions with me.
    Last edited by nijineko; 10-27-2009 at 11:22 PM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    please post any questions you have here in this thread.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I feel like I'm reading a government letter x.@.. just kidding. Good opening by the way.

I don't know the Greyhawk setting very well... Okay at all. Does that matter?

Oh and K sent me your PMs... It would be cool just to be the two of us but we can add more... no stupid random people though...

Would I be able to use an old character? As long as its 3.0/.5 based of course. Or should I stick with just creating a new character from the stats you gave us?

......... Okay I think that's it for now. I'll add more if I think of anything.

Oh yeah. Add me as friend!!!
    Last edited by Arahira; 06-19-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    actually your unfamiliarity will happen to fit in perfectly with this campaign. and just so you know, even diehard greyhawk fans will find some things surprisingly different due to this particular campaigns... ah... differences. ^^

age is a factor under your control. there are tables describing what happens to the stats of character in different age categories, based on race. basically, your physical stats take a hit, your mental stats take a boost, the older you are. you use the stats you pick as your base starting point, then modify by your race, then age.

as for adding players, i have a very short list of knowns, and one unknown whom i will consider pending the responses of the knowns. chances are we will be playing for a while before i am able to incorporate the unknown (you know who you are-i haven't forgotten you). re-scaling will be needed depending on how many respond. in any case, at first it will almost certainly be you two, with a slight chance of the first of the knowns joining in.

as far as starting level goes, we are looking at either randomly picked, or 5th level. ^^ what do you two prefer?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I like the random level option, except that your suggestion was 1d6, and I don't like the chance of getting level one or two, when others could be as high as six. Too much gap. Perhaps 1d4+2?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arahira View Post
    Would I be able to use an old character? As long as its 3.0/.5 based of course. Or should I stick with just creating a new character from the stats you gave us?
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    age is a factor under your control. there are tables describing what happens to the stats of character in different age categories, based on race. basically, your physical stats take a hit, your mental stats take a boost, the older you are. you use the stats you pick as your base starting point, then modify by your race, then age.

Small misunderstanding there I think. In Arahira's quote up there, I think you should be reading "old" as "not new," not as "not young," as you had interpreted it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    quite. i found that out. well, i'm willing to look over any old character sheets that can be sent my way. electronically. ^^ don't want the originals. =P

i can go with 1d4+2. seems fair. roll it here in the forum using the dice roller then, and we can go from there.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    here are a few test rolls for my own use:
    * test roll 1 *

* test roll 2 *

* test roll 3 *

* test roll 4 *

in case you don't know, here's the format for that:
    [ roll = 1d4+2 ]descriptive fluff text here[ / roll ]

(note that extra spaces have been added preventing this last one from rolling. )
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-21-2008 at 04:14 PM.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-21-2008 04:11 PM
    test roll 1: 1d4 (1) + 2 = 3
    test roll 2: 1d4 (4) + 2 = 6
    test roll 3: 1d4 (4) + 2 = 6
    test roll 4: 1d4 (3) + 2 = 5

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know that if you add [noparse][/noparse] tags around your tags, they don't parse, and you don't need the spaces, right?

Anyways,
    * my level is.... *

edit .... crap.

06-21-2008 09:15 PM
    my level is....: 1d4 (1) + 2 = 3

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if i did know that, i'd forgotten it. *^^*

welcome to the third level. i'll hold back my reaction until i see what arahira's roll is. =D

Downloads
    Uploads
    * Rawr *
    Last edited by Arahira; 06-22-2008 at 09:53 AM.

06-22-2008 09:53 AM
    Rawr: 1d4 (4) + 2 = 6

Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL I pwned you! xD

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate you so much.

I've never had much luck with d4's. Better than sucking with d20's I suppose...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    now i should just make anyone else automatically 5th or 6th level just to make necrite feel his 3rd level roll.... but then hand out special xp awards for good rp to necrite for playing (and surviving) with an underdog. ^^

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast