Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: CoS: Campaign announcements and parameters (open for everyone to post and ask questions!)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    now i should just make anyone else automatically 5th or 6th level just to make necrite feel his 3rd level roll.... but then hand out special xp awards for good rp to necrite for playing (and surviving) with an underdog. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm rolling a sorcerer. I meet the requiremenrs for Two-Weapon Finghting. If I take it, will you allow me to fight with a weapon in one hand and a wand in the other, using a standard action to both fire the wand and attack with the weapon, with the standard -2 penalty to both (when applicable to the wand)?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the answer is mixed. two weapon fighting does allow one to weild two melee weapons. however, a spell trigger activation item is not a weapon. thus, the end result of applying two-weapon fighting would be to use the wand as a very thin club. the feat you are looking for is dual wand weilder. this allows you to activate two wands at a once, for an extra drain in charges on the second wand.

if the object you wanted to use was a use-activated item, then we might be in business.

however, all is not lost. if you were to take both two weapon fighting and dual wand weilder, then it would be logical and reasonable to allow you to mix weapon and wand in a dual style. dual wand weilder is found in either the complete arcane, or complete mage, i believe. if you check the consolidated lists on the wotc site, it has a list for all feats and where they are found. =D i should be able to get it together for you along with that other information i'm collecting.

speaking of which, can you read rtfd files? (rtf with embedded pictures) that would be the easiest way for me to send it to you. =D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's an extra feat over what I wanted to take, but I may do it anyways. I can probably load the rtfd files, I've got the most up to date version of Open Office, and it's supposed to open everything except the newest (proprietary) files that the new MS Word uses.

Of course, you could always just copy the feat text into a PM and send it to me that way. :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another alternative: Flaws from Unearthed Arcana. You said you were using some of its optional rules, is this one of them? If so, and Dual-Wand Weilder can be qualified for at 1st level, we're good. Unfortunately, my 3rd level feat is spoken for.

That reminds me - In your opinion, does a wand count as a weapon for purposes of the Quick Draw feat?

Finally, hit points. Third level sorcerer gets 4+Con
    * plus 2d4 *
    +Con. I can't remember my Con score, I'll add that on my sheet.

*EDIT* Son of a.... Did I mention that I hate d4s?

*EDIT2* Crap, both the creation feats I was looking at take 3rd caster level, and Quick Draw takes BAB +1. I could take a Fighter level at level 1 and get QD as a 1st level feat, and even get a bonus feat, but then I wouldn't have 3rd caster level for the crafting feat. Arg.
    Last edited by Necrite; 06-24-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-24-2008 02:00 AM
    plus 2d4: 2d4 (2,1 = 3)

Downloads
    Uploads
    One more question: If I want to craft small, single-use magical items, would you rule that this is done with the Craft Wondrous Item feat, or a variant on the Brew Potion?

In specific, the items will be lots - small sticks, about the size of a popsicle stick, that are broker to create their effect.

I wouldn't mind the extra functionality that Craft Wondrous allows, and I've never been fond of the fact that Brew Potion limits you to third level, but I'll go with whichever you say.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrite View Post
    That's an extra feat over what I wanted to take, but I may do it anyways. I can probably load the rtfd files, I've got the most up to date version of Open Office, and it's supposed to open everything except the newest (proprietary) files that the new MS Word uses.

Of course, you could always just copy the feat text into a PM and send it to me that way. :P
    that's assuming that my electronic copy was ocr'ed instead of just scanned. ^^ which i don't think it was.

Another alternative: Flaws from Unearthed Arcana. You said you were using some of its optional rules, is this one of them? If so, and Dual-Wand Weilder can be qualified for at 1st level, we're good. Unfortunately, my 3rd level feat is spoken for.
    yes, both flaws and traits. the flaw has to be meaningful and actually apply to your character. dragon 324 and 328 have more flaws to pick from. and dragon 280 has extra sorcerer options. dragon 311 has more bloodline feats. there are a few others that would apply too. if you are interested.

That reminds me - In your opinion, does a wand count as a weapon for purposes of the Quick Draw feat?
    it has been established that drawing objects that are used in weapon-like attacks, even if said object itself is not a weapon, counts for purposes of quick draw. you do realize that you get a free quick draw during a move action, yes? the feat basically allows you to quick draw without having to move.

Finally, hit points. Third level sorcerer gets 4+Con [roll=2d4]plus 2d4[/roll]+Con. I can't remember my Con score, I'll add that on my sheet.

*EDIT* Son of a.... Did I mention that I hate d4s?

*EDIT2* Crap, both the creation feats I was looking at take 3rd caster level, and Quick Draw takes BAB +1. I could take a Fighter level at level 1 and get QD as a 1st level feat, and even get a bonus feat, but then I wouldn't have 3rd caster level for the crafting feat. Arg.
    you are obviously not in touch with the power of the pyramid.... hope that doesn't affect your chances in the hereafter. ;D

One more question: If I want to craft small, single-use magical items, would you rule that this is done with the Craft Wondrous Item feat, or a variant on the Brew Potion?

In specific, the items will be lots - small sticks, about the size of a popsicle stick, that are broker to create their effect.

I wouldn't mind the extra functionality that Craft Wondrous allows, and I've never been fond of the fact that Brew Potion limits you to third level, but I'll go with whichever you say.
    i guess that it depends on what the effects are. there are one-shot wondrous items, noticeably feather tokens. sorry to make it tough on you, but i'll have to review each effect that you plan on using to determine which feat applies. ^^ for example: a one-shot heal effect is more like a potion, whereas a one-shot create plant or object effect is more like a wondrous item.
    Last edited by nijineko; 06-25-2008 at 02:57 PM.

06-25-2008 02:44 PM
    plus 2d4: 2d4 (1,4 = 5)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ahah! happy news for you, necrite! i found something that will fit what you want precisely. here's how we will handle it:

you will get the scribe scroll alternate feat, "scribe runestick". an extremely antiquated and primitive form of magic, it nonetheless is more than powerful enough to handle modern spells, with the right components and mild alterations to the rituals. anyone trained in this form of magic is quite capable of feeling out any needed alterations. a prepared stick is used by snapping the stick while simultaneously speaking aloud a special arcane trigger sequence. this releases the stored magic and produces the desired effect. snapped sticks crumble to dust once the magic is released.

preparing a runestick may differ in specifics from creating a scroll (rubbing special materials on the sitck, bathing it in special preperations, waving it through ritual smoke, etc) but the costs and rule mechanics are otherwise the same.

hope this helps with your character concept! =D do include some background as to how/why your character is familiar with this unusual form, ne?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sadly, that doesn't work, as the main idea was building the sticks into traps, with triggers breaking them. The spoken word makes these not work that way.

Honestly, I've been having problems making this character come together the way I want. Plus, he'd be fairly useless in combat, and it doesn't sound like Arahira is gonna have a very strong melee character either. I'm thinking of going in a different direction, probably some kind of fighter multiclass.

I'll give you more details once I've got a better idea what I'm doing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I'll bite, if you'll have me. (Nijineko, this Will). I'll need help with the dice roller. Right now I'm thinking about either a Favoured Soul or an Enlightened Fist. Tell me what you guys think.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sadly, that doesn't work, as the main idea was building the sticks into traps, with triggers breaking them. The spoken word makes these not work that way.

Honestly, I've been having problems making this character come together the way I want. Plus, he'd be fairly useless in combat, and it doesn't sound like Arahira is gonna have a very strong melee character either. I'm thinking of going in a different direction, probably some kind of fighter multiclass.

I'll give you more details once I've got a better idea what I'm doing.
    well, then we could go with the potion-style option, if you like. that would allow you to set the traps, but unfortunatly limit you in level of effect. the issue with scroll-style variant of the feat is that it requires the verbal component. there is the option of going more spellcaster/rouge type and using symbols or glyphs to hold the traps.... also, consider looking up the warforged race in the book i sent arahira, they synergy VERY well with the abilities of arahira's class choice. and make good fighter types. they have some nice racial feats and prestige as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dax Thura View Post
    Ok, I'll bite, if you'll have me. (Nijineko, this Will). I'll need help with the dice roller. Right now I'm thinking about either a Favoured Soul or an Enlightened Fist. Tell me what you guys think.
    awesome! i was hoping you would be able to. =D favoured soul also mixes nicely with divine fist.... (or whatever the monk/divine one is called! *^^*)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to go with a human, either fighter/cleric or fighter/ranger. I guess I'll base my decision on what Dax is. I don't know either of the classes he mentioned. If he's a combat character, I'll do Ftr/Clr, if it's a caster, Ftr/Rng.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was going to go with a human, either fighter/cleric or fighter/ranger. I guess I'll base my decision on what Dax is. I don't know either of the classes he mentioned. If he's a combat character, I'll do Ftr/Clr, if it's a caster, Ftr/Rng.
    The Favored Soul is a spontaneous divine caster, the divine sorcerer if you will. The Enlightened Fist is a monk/arcane caster prestige class. If I understand it correctly, it is more of a combat character than a caster, though it is no front line fighter.

Other possibilities include Warlock, a personal favorite, and Dragon Shaman, seems interesting. In any case what are the rules for putting a character together? How do I do the dice rolls?

* After some test rolls, My level is: *

I don't think it worked.

I don't want to seem like a cheat, so if the group wants I will reroll (again) or have Nijineko roll it. Sorry.
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 07-09-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: attemting to roll

07-09-2008 04:15 PM
    My level is:: 1d4 (1) + 2 = 3
    My level is:: 1d4 (3) + 2 = 5
    My level is:: 1d4 (2) + 2 = 4
    07-09-2008 04:19 PM
    After some test rolls, My level is:: 1d4 (4) + 2 = 6

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well, they appear to have all been rolled simultaneously. so i'm inclined to let it stand for now.

the general rules for building a character are in the first post at the top of this thread. if you have questions about it, contact me. =D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, I see, make the new guy decide. Well, after my rolls, I've decided against the Enlightened Fist. Instead I have the Warlock, again a personal favorite, the Sorcerer, which I've never played before, and the Soul Knife going for the Soul Bow, another personal favorite. If I must decide now, I'd go with the Sorcerer. I am not married to it though, and if someone else wants to be a primary arcane caster, I will go with the Soul Knife.

Are we using action points from either Eberron or the Unearthed Arcana?

BTW, Nijineko, according to the EPH, neither of the Giths's have racial levels just the +2ECL.
    Last edited by Dax Thura; 07-10-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast