Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: A Slew of New Features - April 2008 - Newsletter

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up A Slew of New Features - April 2008 - Newsletter

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hail and well met, all!

It's been a while since I've sent out a newsletter to everyone with the latest updates here at Pen & Paper Games. Now, I can wait no longer. For those of you that read it, you may remember that back towards the end of February in an interview with RPGx.org, I hinted at some fairly major enhancements that were on the horizon. Well, I'm pleased to say that we have another round of great new features that I think are going to be a big boon to our members, including: user creatable social groups, upgrades to member profiles, member photo albums, thread tagging, and an integrated dice roller for our play-by-posters.

Sound interesting? Read on.

Social Groups
    I've never been one that is good at holding back the best for last, so I'll jump right in and tell you about what I think is the coolest new feature: user creatable social groups. Have you been longing to have a place for you and your gaming group to go to post messages to each other between games, but you don't want to go through the hassle of renting webspace and setting up your own forums? You can now create a place for you and your gaming buddies right here at Pen & Paper Games. Or, if you'd like to organize a local area gamers group in your area, you can easily create a place for you and your members. Small and large groups are both welcome to use this new functionality.

In your group, you will be able to:

• Post messages between group members.
    • Upload and share pictures from your albums.
    • View a list of all other members in your group.
    • Make your group page public, private or invitation only.
    • Moderate requests to join your group.
    • And more features to come... Including the ability for larger groups to create a fully featured public forum integrated alongside the other Pen & Paper Games forums.

To see a list of current groups, visit: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/group.php

To create a group of your own, you would go here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru....php?do=create

(Note, if you are a new member and wish to create a new social group, your group will require approval. Members are considered to be "new" until they have been in the community for at least one month and have at least posted once in the general forums.)

Member Profiles
    The Player Registry has long been one of the central focal points of our community, and the member profile is a key component of that, giving you a place to tell other gamers about yourself. I'm pleased to say that member profiles have received a bit of a face lift. Among the new features are:

• The profile has been restructured into a more compact and eye pleasing tabbed view, and you can further customize the fonts, colors and background of your profile to truly give it a more personal touch.
    • You can also edit your profile right on your profile page without having to go back and forth from the User CP and profile pages.
    • Visits to your profile page are tracked, so you can see how many times your profile has been seen by other members.
    • Visitors can even leave public messages for you in your "Visitor Messages" section.
    • You can create a list of online friends, which are also shown in your profile.
    • And you can now create photo albums and share pictures publicly or amongst you and your friends. (Community members can have up to 100 pictures totaling 5 MB, and Community Supporters can upload up to 500 pictures totaling 15 MB)

To see your spiffy new profile, click the link on the navigation bar up-top: Player Registry -> Your Profile.

Play By Post: Dice Roller
    To enhance the Play By Post community that has been steadily growing in the P&PG community, we recently added an integrated dice roller. The dice roller uses standard dice notation (i.e. 3d6+3) and keeps a running history of dice results. You can read more about this feature here: http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5432

As a reminder, if you are interested in having your Play-by-Post game hosted here, we'd be happy to setup a section for your game. You can request a PBP section by sending a PM to Farcaster or by emailing gm@penandpapergames.com. In your request, include the name of the campaign and a short description that you'd like to appear below the campaign title. If you are sending your request by email, be sure to also include your user name.

Message Tagging & Bookmarking
    You can now help create catalogue posts on the forum so that other members can more easily find related posts by adding tags to threads you have read. You'll find a new section to add tags at the bottom of each page. These tags are hot-linked so that you can follow them to other posts with the same tag, or you can also use the Search tool (linked in the navigation bar) to search for tags or view the P&PG Tag Cloud.

And if you find a particularly useful post that you'd like to share with others, you'll find a link at the bottom of each thread to add a bookmark to a number of the major social bookmarking networks.

That basically summarizes most of the major enhancements. Let me know what you think or if you have any questions or feedback about any of the new features.

Enjoy!
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just noticed a slight misconfiguration that was preventing "new members," from creating social groups. It has been fixed. If you have any problems creating a group, please let me know.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    New features is good. Keep them coming.
    [r oll=Dice]Action Description[/ roll]
    [h ide]Some stuff[/ hide]
    (no spaces)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, the new layout of the profiles does seem alot nicer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Great job Farcaster !

We appreciate your efforts and dedication
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    sounds great! Thanks for the dice roller!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow I just discovered the notifications ! That's awesome too !
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.