Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 76

  Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: WEG Star Wars?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    WEG Star Wars?

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Anyone still play the West End Games version of the Star Wars RPG?

    Or

    Anyone adapted any adventures from WEG to Saga or Revised?

    I am considering it.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

    "It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Acampo
    Age
    32
    Posts
    902
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I bought another copy of 2nd ed WEG players guide because my first copy finally succumbed to all the use I give it.

    I play in the expanded universe in the pre-Vong days but after Anakin Solo is born.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Awesome!

    That sounds cool. Tell me more DA.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

    "It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    oxford
    Age
    47
    Posts
    142
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    neither, or none, but which do you recomend? "At last we shall reveal ourselves..... at last, we shall have revenge!" Big SW fan, big D&D player, but never the twain have met!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    2,525
    Blog Entries
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Anyone still play the West End Games version of the Star Wars RPG?
    Oh, absolutely. WEG's Star Wars RPG is my favorite RPG of all time. Still have all my old sourcebooks and my two copies of the corebook. It's been a couple years since my last campaign, but I'm feeling the urge to start one up again, so I imagine it won't be too much longer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Anyone adapted any adventures from WEG to Saga or Revised?
    I've run a short-lived campaign of the Star Wars d20 Revised edition, but in the strictest sense, I haven't really converted material from one to the other. There was some real cool material from the Star Wars Gamer magazine that is worth converting over to Star Wars D6 though...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

    Star Wars d20 had some interesting features to it, but D6 serves my Star Wars needs better. I never liked the class-and-level-based structure of d20 for emulating Star Wars. And I like D6's combat, damage, and starship rules better. Oh, and the Dark Side rules need some serious tweaking in any of the d20 versions to grok with my established notions of how the Dark Side should behave.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo
    Age
    29
    Posts
    244
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I still have some books my uncle would use when I was a small kid; I always though of going through "Tatooine Manhunt" for some material.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    2,525
    Blog Entries
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I have fond memories of running Star Wars D6 adventures for my brother and his friends on the front porch of our apartment. We would lay a blanket down over the concrete so that our butts wouldn't hurt so much from sitting around there for hours on end (we didn't have a table that we could take outside so we played on the floor instead, not bothering with chairs). Thinking back, they probably weren't the most intricate or well-conceived adventures as I was still a young Game Master back then, but we sure had a hell of a lot of fun!

    I miss that kind of free-wheeling play. I need to try to recapture that style somehow.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I have fond memories of running Star Wars D6 adventures for my brother and his friends on the front porch of our apartment. We would lay a blanket down over the concrete so that our butts wouldn't hurt so much from sitting around there for hours on end (we didn't have a table that we could take outside so we played on the floor instead, not bothering with chairs). Thinking back, they probably weren't the most intricate or well-conceived adventures as I was still a young Game Master back then, but we sure had a hell of a lot of fun!

    I miss that kind of free-wheeling play. I need to try to recapture that style somehow.
    Saga edition my friend, Saga edition.

    Its great. It is detailed enough to cover a lot of things yet open enough to let the GM really adhoc what the players wish to do.

    Case in point, most of the game I am running has had a Firefly type feel to it. The players are on the outskirts of the galaxy bopping around from one planet to the next adn you never know where or who they are going to run into next.

    Loads of fun!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

    "It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    2,525
    Blog Entries
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Saga edition my friend, Saga edition.

    Its great. It is detailed enough to cover a lot of things yet open enough to let the GM really adhoc what the players wish to do.

    Case in point, most of the game I am running has had a Firefly type feel to it. The players are on the outskirts of the galaxy bopping around from one planet to the next adn you never know where or who they are going to run into next.

    Loads of fun!
    I just ran the intro to my first Star Wars Saga campaign this past weekend and it has potential. The system is definately a breath of relief from the previous two versions of d20 Star Wars. I have thus far found that it runs pretty smoothly. The flat probability curve of the d20 has been problematic for my players though, as I witnessed them fall victim to several terrible rolls that not even Force Points could save them from (that brings me to one observation about Saga: Force Points don't seem potent enough). Seriously, five rolls in a row were made where the d20 came up a "4" or less. Granted, no one died, but I could tell that it irked them more than a little.

    It still can never replace Star Wars D6 for me, but for the time being it seems like it will be fun. I must admit, character creation and combat in Saga are very nicely lean and efficient. I've never seen another d20 game where I could walk four players through their first character creation in an hour. This included me explaining the differences between Saga and D&D 3.5.

    I still miss running my Star Wars D6 though (see the "Campaign Invitation" board for proof of that )
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    (that brings me to one observation about Saga: Force Points don't seem potent enough).
    That's what Destiny Points are for!!

    Seriously, destiny points can quickly unbalance your game. Whatever you do, DO NOT put your BBEG up against your 4 players alone. If your 4 players have at least 1 destiny point, on each of their initiatives they can spend that DP to auto-crit the BBEG and potentially take them out in one round. Not Cool.

    But my players tend to hoard their Force points and Destiny points so I kind of have to make situations to force them to use them. No pun intended.

    One other "problem" you may find is that there are not rules to cover every single little thing a character could potentially do, so you as the GM are left to calling for skill checks or ability checks or simply adhoc-ing in general. But I don't have a problem with this and it allows me the ability to keep the game moving. Can't find the rule in the book, adhoc it!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

    "It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    2,525
    Blog Entries
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    That's what Destiny Points are for!!
    I have been undecided on my opinion of the Destiny Point rules at this stage. Thus, I let my players know that I'm not using Destiny Points yet, but I may add them in later after I've had time to decide if/how they are going to play a role in my campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    One other "problem" you may find is that there are not rules to cover every single little thing a character could potentially do, so you as the GM are left to calling for skill checks or ability checks or simply adhoc-ing in general. But I don't have a problem with this and it allows me the ability to keep the game moving. Can't find the rule in the book, adhoc it!
    This actually harkens back to the style of play that got me into RPGs to begin with...thus I'm more in favor of this element than opposed to it. The game should give you enough insight into how things are done that you should feel confident and comfortable filling in the blanks with your own judgement.

    That's how we played RPGs in the "golden days". When the rules for something weren't clear (or didn't exist), the GM got creative, had the players roll some dice and moved on! Any game that encourages this scores points with me.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Brighton
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,362
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    This actually harkens back to the style of play that got me into RPGs to begin with...thus I'm more in favor of this element than opposed to it. The game should give you enough insight into how things are done that you should feel confident and comfortable filling in the blanks with your own judgement.

    That's how we played RPGs in the "golden days". When the rules for something weren't clear (or didn't exist), the GM got creative, had the players roll some dice and moved on! Any game that encourages this scores points with me.
    I concur. It avoids rule hang-ups that slow down the game and that is always a plus!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

    "It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    2,525
    Blog Entries
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    I concur. It avoids rule hang-ups that slow down the game and that is always a plus!
    I think this is one of the things that I've always admired about the Star Wars D6 RPG. Several times throughout the book, the authors remind you of the "golden rule of the Star Wars RPG": If you're stuck or not sure how to handle something, pick a difficulty number and have the players roll the most appropriate skill.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Redlands
    Age
    34
    Posts
    249
    Blog Entries
    20
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Personally, I loved the d6 version over any d20 version they have offered so far, and that was after playing for a year or so on d20 and having two wonderful campaigns with it. The d6 system really suited the star wars feel and, at least for me, added the cinamatic touch I was looking for with space flight rules and whatnot. I had a hard time recapturing it with the d20 system.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett
    Posts
    2,525
    Blog Entries
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Aye...I miss my Star Wars D6 games. Best RPG ever.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 12:36 PM
  2. [Star Wars d20] Star Wars Roleplaying Game: Starships of the Galaxy
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 11:31 AM
  3. [Star Wars d20] GenCon 2007 - Star Wars Photos from the Show
    By PnP News Bot in forum News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2007, 05:00 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:53 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •