Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: WEG Star Wars?

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

WEG Star Wars?

Anyone still play the West End Games version of the Star Wars RPG?

Or

Anyone adapted any adventures from WEG to Saga or Revised?

I am considering it.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought another copy of 2nd ed WEG players guide because my first copy finally succumbed to all the use I give it.

I play in the expanded universe in the pre-Vong days but after Anakin Solo is born.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome!

That sounds cool. Tell me more DA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    neither, or none, but which do you recomend? "At last we shall reveal ourselves..... at last, we shall have revenge!" Big SW fan, big D&D player, but never the twain have met!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Anyone still play the West End Games version of the Star Wars RPG?
    Oh, absolutely. WEG's Star Wars RPG is my favorite RPG of all time. Still have all my old sourcebooks and my two copies of the corebook. It's been a couple years since my last campaign, but I'm feeling the urge to start one up again, so I imagine it won't be too much longer.

Anyone adapted any adventures from WEG to Saga or Revised?
    I've run a short-lived campaign of the Star Wars d20 Revised edition, but in the strictest sense, I haven't really converted material from one to the other. There was some real cool material from the Star Wars Gamer magazine that is worth converting over to Star Wars D6 though...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Star Wars d20 had some interesting features to it, but D6 serves my Star Wars needs better. I never liked the class-and-level-based structure of d20 for emulating Star Wars. And I like D6's combat, damage, and starship rules better. Oh, and the Dark Side rules need some serious tweaking in any of the d20 versions to grok with my established notions of how the Dark Side should behave.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I still have some books my uncle would use when I was a small kid; I always though of going through "Tatooine Manhunt" for some material.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have fond memories of running Star Wars D6 adventures for my brother and his friends on the front porch of our apartment. We would lay a blanket down over the concrete so that our butts wouldn't hurt so much from sitting around there for hours on end (we didn't have a table that we could take outside so we played on the floor instead, not bothering with chairs). Thinking back, they probably weren't the most intricate or well-conceived adventures as I was still a young Game Master back then, but we sure had a hell of a lot of fun!

I miss that kind of free-wheeling play. I need to try to recapture that style somehow.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I have fond memories of running Star Wars D6 adventures for my brother and his friends on the front porch of our apartment. We would lay a blanket down over the concrete so that our butts wouldn't hurt so much from sitting around there for hours on end (we didn't have a table that we could take outside so we played on the floor instead, not bothering with chairs). Thinking back, they probably weren't the most intricate or well-conceived adventures as I was still a young Game Master back then, but we sure had a hell of a lot of fun!

I miss that kind of free-wheeling play. I need to try to recapture that style somehow.
    Saga edition my friend, Saga edition.

Its great. It is detailed enough to cover a lot of things yet open enough to let the GM really adhoc what the players wish to do.

Case in point, most of the game I am running has had a Firefly type feel to it. The players are on the outskirts of the galaxy bopping around from one planet to the next adn you never know where or who they are going to run into next.

Loads of fun!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Saga edition my friend, Saga edition.

Its great. It is detailed enough to cover a lot of things yet open enough to let the GM really adhoc what the players wish to do.

Case in point, most of the game I am running has had a Firefly type feel to it. The players are on the outskirts of the galaxy bopping around from one planet to the next adn you never know where or who they are going to run into next.

Loads of fun!
    I just ran the intro to my first Star Wars Saga campaign this past weekend and it has potential. The system is definately a breath of relief from the previous two versions of d20 Star Wars. I have thus far found that it runs pretty smoothly. The flat probability curve of the d20 has been problematic for my players though, as I witnessed them fall victim to several terrible rolls that not even Force Points could save them from (that brings me to one observation about Saga: Force Points don't seem potent enough). Seriously, five rolls in a row were made where the d20 came up a "4" or less. Granted, no one died, but I could tell that it irked them more than a little.

It still can never replace Star Wars D6 for me, but for the time being it seems like it will be fun. I must admit, character creation and combat in Saga are very nicely lean and efficient. I've never seen another d20 game where I could walk four players through their first character creation in an hour. This included me explaining the differences between Saga and D&D 3.5.

I still miss running my Star Wars D6 though (see the "Campaign Invitation" board for proof of that )
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Personally, I loved the d6 version over any d20 version they have offered so far, and that was after playing for a year or so on d20 and having two wonderful campaigns with it. The d6 system really suited the star wars feel and, at least for me, added the cinamatic touch I was looking for with space flight rules and whatnot. I had a hard time recapturing it with the d20 system.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aye...I miss my Star Wars D6 games. Best RPG ever.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just saw your profile Webhead. Star Wars d6 was my first run at GameMastering too! ahhh....good times

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamerath View Post
    I just saw your profile Webhead. Star Wars d6 was my first run at GameMastering too! ahhh....good times
    Indeed. See the link below for a little more on Star Wars D6 as my gateway to role playing. Great fun and great memories!

http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...?t=5298&page=4
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    You know, I am going to have to go back and break out my WEG books. I do remember the game being fun and fast paced and easy to learn, but I also remember the difficulties got out of hand rather quickly. And being a Jedi was the end all be all of characters.

Oh, nostalgia. Le sigh.

Downloads
    Uploads

Dark Jedi PC

I've been reading the posts and they are really good. I've garnered many good ideas from reading the things all of you have posted.

The GM I play under is a good friend. We have been friends for almost 25 years and have gamed most of that time (various genre). Our favorites are 2nd Edition AD&D and WEG D6 Star Wars.

In the most recent Star Wars game, one of the players asked the GM if he would allow him to play a Jedi of an alien race who was corrupted by a Dark Ritual which caused him to become a Vampiric Dark Jedi.

The original premise was supposed to tie the character to a story arch involving an ancient artifact of unknown origin. (the artifact was created as a plot hook).

The GM told the player that he does not like players playing Dark Side Jedi. The player assured the GM that he was not going to unbalance his campaign.

It was explained that the character he wanted to play was an alien, whose people had succumb to the Dark Side through a rift in the Force created when they tried to open a direct connection with the Force through a ritual. But something went horribly wrong and the volunteer through whom the intended connection was to become established was instead filled with Dark Side energies and transformed into a Vampiric Lifeforce Energy draining humanoid, who began feeding on his own people until he was driven off world.

The player's character left off world to search for an artifact rumored to be capable of closing the rift and restoring his people to normal. His people had been transformed into Vampiric Lifeforce Energy draining humanoids who feed on the Midi-Chlorians of Force Sensitives by draining their blood.

The player assured the GM that as soon as he located the ancient artifact, he would return to his home world and use the artifact to close the rift and restore his people.

The player was persuasive and the GM was curious as to how this would play out, and he allowed the player to play the character. Within 3 sessions the player located the artifact and rather than return to his home world as soon as he could, he instead went about systematically unbalancing the campaign. When the GM called him on it, he accused the GM of railroading and being a bad GM.

We (the other players) didn't see the harm in allowing the character to have a little off world fun before returning to his home planet to complete a ritual that would effectively retire his character from the game. (The vampiric character was created specifically to save his people and close the rift). The GM prefers to maintain the peace so he agreed to allow the character to delay his return home.

A few sessions after that, we (the other players) regretted our decision. The Vanpiric character began to systematically destroy the campaign. The GM tried to stop it but by that time (for reasons that are far too detailed to go into without taking up a lot! more space) the player had become rude and hostile to any suggestion that his character was overpowered and disruptive. The player kept insisting that the GM was being unfair and singling him out just because his character was clever enough to outwit the GM's plans and the GM's NPCs.

Meanwhile, the other players said nothing and seemed to be enjoying the new power level that the player had introduced. But now we all see how this player has abused the game, rules, and GM's willingness to allow a player to play an unusual character. The rogue player does not see that he is doing anything wrong.

The GM has tried to amp up the power level of his campaign in an effort restore the balance. Each time he has attempted to do so, the power player has become biligerent and accusational.

At one point the GM was 'told' by that player that he would strand him at the game location if he tried to bring in anything that the player did not want brought in. In other words, anything the GM tried to use to re-establish control over the game the player of the Vampiric character shot down with threats.

The GM told the other players (since the one out of control won't listen to him anymore) that the next time the player threatens him over anything in-game, he is out of the game permanently and will never be allowed to play in any other game the GM holds.

(it might help the reader to know that the offensive player was the GMs only source of transportation up until recently, and we have been playing at the home of one of the other players.)

Now that I've filled you all in on the basics, I'd like your feedback as to what should be done in the future to prevent this type of abuse from happening again.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast