Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Star Wars era/setting

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old Republic - Knights of the Old Republic era

35 46.67%
  • Rise of the Empire era

9 12.00%
  • Rebellion era

23 30.67%
  • New Republic era

2 2.67%
  • New Jedi Order era

1 1.33%
  • Legacy era

3 4.00%
  • Infinities - anything beyond!

2 2.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite Star Wars era/setting

Downloads
    Uploads

Your favorite Star Wars era/setting

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I have been inspired by the D&D setting polls.

So tell us, what's your favorite Star Wars era/setting?

Old Republic - Knights of the Old Republic: Where Jedi and Sith abound and the galaxy is just starting to take shape!

Rise of the Empire: Episodes I - III: The galaxy has been at peace for the past 1000 years and the evil Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, is slowly rising to power and engineers the final destruction of the Jedi.

Rebellion Era: A few years after Episode III through Episode VI: Rebels striking from hidden bases attempt to overthrow the Empire. The Jedi begin to resurface and a final battle over the moon of Endor brings the Empire to its knees.

New Republic Era: The Rebel Alliance finds itself thrust into the publics eye as they try to reshape the galaxy. They must contend with political intrigue, rouge Imperial factions, and other outside sources that want to see the New Republic fail. Luke Skywalker searches out more Jedi and brings them to Yavin 4 to begin training a new generation of Jedi.

New Jedi Order era: The fledgling galaxy faces its greatest threat yet, the Yuuzahn Vong. An intergalactic race that is vacant in the Force.

Legacy era: Following the trails and tribulations of the Organa-Solo children or 140+ years after the New Jedi Order and the Skywalker bloodline still shapes events in the galaxy.

(There's more to those eras than that though!)

Vote!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I am going to have to say, Rise of the Empire.

I admit it, I like Jedi. And this era allows for A LOT of Jedi and it is the height of the Jedi Order (however complacent they may have been).

Not a lot of dark siders though, but still open enough to throw some in every now and then.

Then there is the Clone Wars! How fun is that!? Killing Jedi is even more fun than playing as one!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I voted for the Rebellion as it is a lot of fun having the big bad Empire out there. But in retrospect, it might be the New Republic era. There are a lot of options and Luke's Jedi Praxeum is great for allowing starting Jedi characters.

I also really like the Tales of the Jedi era, as opposed to KotoR. There was something in the feel of the TotJ books vs the KotoR stuff. But maybe that is just me.

Thanks,
    Duncan
    Proud to be a Gungan!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by vadersson View Post
    I also really like the Tales of the Jedi era, as opposed to KotoR. There was something in the feel of the TotJ books vs the KotoR stuff. But maybe that is just me.

Thanks,
    Duncan
    THANK YOU!

Finally someone else who LOVES Tales of the Jedi and NOT KotOR!

When the Knights of the Old Republic game came out I expected it to be like the TotJ comics and have a very archaic feel to it. And it didn't even though it was set shortly after the same time period. It looked like everything else "new" Star Wars (Episodes I-VI) and THAT was disappointing.

I was hesitant to call the selection above "Tales of the Jedi" because it seems everyone is now only familiar with KotOR. Unfortunately.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I enjoy the thought of large sith wars with legions of jedi. So I guess I'd be interested in the ancient times atm.

Rise of the empire and rebellion are always going to be most easy to get into though since there is tons of actually movie material. (it's not like everybody reads the novels.. I don't at all, if I read a book, its usually more english/american lit.) Not to mention the fact that the clone wars is coming out.

anything after episode 6 I don't really care for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Legacy Era, but only the comic setting, 100+ years after everything else.

I haven't read a single NJO or LOTF novel. Back when the Solo kids were born, they were pretty cool, especially Anakin. I don't like what they did to him, and I am on the Jacen-hating Band Wagon. Also, Luke FINALLY hooks up, and they kill her.

Legacy (as opposed to Legacy of The Force) allows everything to have happened, and then pick up the pieces from there. We get a Skywalker who is actually cool, as opposed to whiny/wanky or backward/confused/bumbling. I'm much harder on the Skywalkers there than I intended to be... Plus we get characters that existed even as old as Clone Wars Era, (How old is K'Kruhk? Little Chak grew up!) still kicking arse. Plus they'll be able to hint at possible futures of original characters, such as a possible Vos descendant, how cool would that be?

Anyway, that's my vote.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to try to make my own homebrew settings.

I suppose I could have set a game sometime between the TotJ and the Clone wars.

I wanted to avoid a setting where my players knew more than I did.

I also think that some of the Extended Universe material is drool.

Jay ~Meow!~

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the classic Star Wars era. The Force is a hokey religion and no one really remembered the Jedi. That and the HUGE 20 year gab between episodes III and IV makes for a fun playground for RPGs in my humble opinion.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe it's just my nostalgia flaring up, but for me nothing beats the good old Rebellion Era for a romping Star Wars game. Blasting Stormtroopers, outrunning TIE fighters and the Force as an "ancient religion" virtually lost to the ravages of the Emperor's New Order. It just doesn't get better than that.

I'm also a fan of the Tales of the Jedi comics and thus have some fondness for the period.

In an upcoming campaign that I'm preparing to run however, I have decided to set it just after the events of Revenge of the Sith and intend to run it up bascially to the signing of the Corellian Treaty and Mon Mothma's drafting of the Declaration of Rebellion. Of course, that leaves a large period of time to explore and adventures to be had. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    4000 or so years before the battle of yavin.

My whole game was based in that era. Mandalorian wars had already happened, the Sith were working behind the scenes and about to wage serious war.
    "And then you wake up."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    4000 or so years before the battle of yavin.

My whole game was based in that era. Mandalorian wars had already happened, the Sith were working behind the scenes and about to wage serious war.
    So, they were Sithpering behind people's backs were they?

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    So, they were Sithpering behind people's backs were they?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Im pickin rise of the empire cause it suits me

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to go with the New Republic. Probably partly my choice is because I'm reading the Thrawn Trilogy. It's a great time, I think, because you still get the "classic" Star Wars feel (Empire vs Rebellion, etc. Yes, the Rebels are now the New Republic, but they feel like rebels, being underfunded and poorly staffed), but there's so much room to explore.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, I always played d6 (tiny bit of d20, no Saga). That was all Rebellion. Not that you couldn't do something else. But typically the group was about smuggling and surviving (which meant keeping the ship from falling apart). Politics only mattered when it got in the way (which it often did), then you killed the stormtroopers got a nice new bounty issued and went on your way... loop to sentence start. If they started caring about you, well, that was when real trouble started. If the starmaster (that's right, Starmaster, and it was often said in the same whine Luke used about Toshi Station)... so, if a starmaster gave a bounty hunter a unique name and cool armor, that was the apex of trouble because mark my words, that guy can shoot. Of course eventually the group might have a bounty hunter of it's own. That character is probably fine as long as he doesn't get in the way, it's the bounty hunter code and all (You only tag another hunter if the creds are so good you can't help it).
    "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth." - JFK

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    - Noam Chomsky

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast