Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Democracy

Downloads
    Uploads

Democracy

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Does anyone have a Fantasy Campaign with a Democratic Goverment as the ruling body of the realm?

I was wondering how will that work.

Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    i was thinking of running a greek mythology campaign in which case there would be a democratic home for the players. Slaves and women might not be able to vote, but the "real citizens" would be able to vote.

But that campaign wouldn't really be a politically driven one.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    democracy is a fun one... especially if it is a true democracy, and the players have a vested interest in it. makes for an interesting mixed nationality party, especially if the democracy is magically inclined and has communication amulets for the member citizens to vote on major issues with, no matter where they are. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've only recently introduced a small area in my world that has a democracy. If it weren't for the area having superior magic, it would probably end up being overrun by those who can't handle the concept.

Democracy is a VERY scary thing to those that are due to benefit from a monarchy/oligarchy/whateverarchy. The concept that everyone is equal is DAMNED scary to those who believe that blood-ties give special rights.

Tread lightly before you introduce it on a wide scale. It may prove your undoing as a DM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    after all, the nobles can't have the commoners realize that they can live without them.... ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    Tread lightly before you introduce it on a wide scale. It may prove your undoing as a DM.
    Would you care to develop that ?
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As such no. However the Eyrian Empire is firmly the place of rule of law. It matters not if you are a King or a commoner, the law applies and will be applied.

The result looks lot like a democracy in effect. People respect nobility that is respectable, and only those. A Noble title is considered a responsibility, not a privilege.

"A qud* and a liniage and will get you a pint." -- Eyrian proverb.

*qud -- one quarter copper piece.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't tried Democracy yet-ROTD background history Elata was a Coregency. At this point in time, there's a Dictatorship.
    There's nothing to fear except fear itself and, of course, the boogeyman.

Co-Organizer of NEPA D&D and Stroudsburg Geeks. Member of Stroudsburg Area Gaming Association.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My gut reaction is "too modern". Medieval military technology is too entrenched in the feudal system to work in a democracy- ten guys with pikes will beat a knight, and are much cheaper to outfit. So you'll only have a guy in plate armor on a horse where the military holds privilege. And where the military holds privilege, they usually don't share it

My second reaction would be that this would be a good ruling system for a highly developed civilization that is above worldly concerns, and probably not well-known in the world at large. A city in the clouds, for instance.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    Would you care to develop that ?
    Sorry, Sure!!

Introducing a democratic system needs constant attention as a DM. The politics involved are amazing, especially considering the number of other regimes in the area that would try to subvert the idea for their benefit. If the DM introduces it and then loses control of the program, the entire campaign world can end up crashing in around their little democratic ears.

THAT's what I meant by the comment. Sorry you weren't able to read my mind to see what I intended there!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is really true of any political system. Monarchies are just as subvertible, except that it does not always play out before the public eye.

See Henry V for a good example. It's reasonably close to what we understand as to what happened.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    I rarely introduce a democratic system into my campaigns. It requires more work in addition to the already large amount of work required to just craft an adventure on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

When I do introduce a democratic system I use a Senate or quorum-style system which each member being either a governor or chosen representative of a state or province.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdar View Post
    My second reaction would be that this would be a good ruling system for a highly developed civilization that is above worldly concerns, and probably not well-known in the world at large. A city in the clouds, for instance.
    Very apt.
    ... AND ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD SAID, "I NEED A DRINK."

Downloads
    Uploads
    depends how educated the populous is really. and are there printing presses and technology to support a true democracy?

Or maybe the realm is chopped up onto local counsels.

Downloads
    Uploads
    reminds me of the bumper sticker: "vote cthulhu, why chose the lesser of two evils?"
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast