Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What are you currently reading?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I am not currently reading it, but was wondering if anyone was familiar with a series of books that I think the first one is called "The Mistersinger" or something like that. It's about a guy that does magic by playing music on a guitar like instrument. He plays current day music but the instrument turns it to magic but it never totally turns out the way he was intending it to.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    reading the book of the league of extraordinary gentlemen. likely read christopher white's tripod trilogy again after that.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Anaesthesia View Post
    Is that good? I've only read American Gods and Neverwhere, although I do have Anasi Boys and Good Omens/Bad Omens on Mt. TBR.
    I loved it - of course, I loved it because of the Charlie/Anansi relationship. I really, really liked American Gods. If Gaiman ever writes anything more featuring Shadow, I'll snap it up in a heartbeat (I did pick up Fragile Things just for "Monarch of the Glen").

Melefresh

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i've read stardust of gaiman's, haven't gotten around to any of his other stuff yet. starting white's tripod trilogy. =D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to share-although it's not about reading. Ok, maybe a little.

I went to a Used Book Store yesterday in NY, and found a AD&D Player's Handbook (for $4), and a AD&D Dragonlance Sourcebook (for $3). One of the best prices I had for older editon D&D books. (Ok, ok, the best price I ever had was $1 for a 3.0 book)

There's nothing to fear except fear itself and, of course, the boogeyman.

Co-Organizer of NEPA D&D and Stroudsburg Geeks. Member of Stroudsburg Area Gaming Association.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now I'm reading "Sun Tzu The Art of War" and "Mythology: The Illistrated Anthology of World Myth and Storytelling" (an almost 700 page 'crush your lap' book of mythology goodness).
    Legends Never Die!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    just started to read the new Dresden files book....
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Thunder of Time" by James F David.

It's a book about rifts in time that intermix the periods of the dinosaurs with modern periods. For example, Portland was suddenly rifted and there were dinosaurs all over the place. These rifts were caused by nuclear testing, ripping a hole in space-time.

Anyway, so far, so good. Plus, I totally dig on any story with dinosaurs, megalodons, and time travel.
    "And then you wake up."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm reading The Difference Engine by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, which was probably the first popular steampunk novel. I'm also reading The Eisenhorn Omnibus by Dan Abnett. I'm reading that for background info on the w40k Dark Heresy game I'm playing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Currently reading A Cruel Wind by Glen Cook. It's a single volume republishing of his Dread Empire trilogy. Very good stuff. And you can clearly see the influence it (and the Black Company) had on Steven Erikson's Malazan Empire series. Impatiently waiting for Erikson's next book this Fall

Breezed through Raymond Feist's latest, Wrath of a Mad God.

For some noir, I read L.A. Confidential (James Ellroy). Then Charlie Huston's Already Dead for modern noir with a supernatural twist.

I've enjoyed every book from Tim Powers. Most recently Three Days to Never. He always surprises me with some truly creative ideas.

In non-fiction, I just started Guns, Germs and Steel.

Downloads
    Uploads

to cplmac

The book you are referring to is Spellsinger. Alan Dean Foster I think?? There are a few others in the series but Day of Dissonance is the only other title I remember.

Read them over 20 years ago... yikes. I think they went to the used book store during a move, but if I still have them they're yours for the taking. I'll check the shelves and what boxes I still have.

Marty

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm well lets see,

I am reading the first book by Anthony Bourdain - No Reservations

and on y coffee table is Tim Waggoner Thieves of Blood - Blade of the flame book 1 (Eberron novel.

and assorted cook books...

Giddoen
    I have faith!...my character sheet says so!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I've finished up The Descent by Jeff Long. The first few chapters were spellbinding and had a palpable air of tension. But, once the Long more fully reveals the "hadal," devil like entities that reside in deep subterranean recesses, the dramatic tension is mostly lost. From there, it is still an interesting story, but more of a psychological thriller than a horror story. Of course, Long still manages to throw in a few succor punches along the way with some particularly gory or perverse imagery.

Now, I have started on "The Ruins," by Scott Smith. I plan to only go see the movie after I have finished reading the book.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseAlmighty View Post
    The book you are referring to is Spellsinger. Alan Dean Foster I think?? There are a few others in the series but Day of Dissonance is the only other title I remember.

Read them over 20 years ago... yikes. I think they went to the used book store during a move, but if I still have them they're yours for the taking. I'll check the shelves and what boxes I still have.

Marty

Actually read the whole series while over in the Persian Gulf in 90 and 91. They were a good read. Wasn't a lot to do over there when you were lucky enough to get a little "down time". It was over there that I got introduced to D&D (2E).

Downloads
    Uploads

Captain Alatriste Series

I just finished "El Capitan Alatriste (tr. Captain Alatriste)" and plan to move to the next book in the series "Limpieza de Sangre (tr. Purity of blood)".

Who knows, maybe one day the movie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alatriste will be available in the US. (Already in my Netflix list).

---

What do you know? There is a roleplaying game (Note: Website is in Spanish) http://www.devir.es/producto/alatriste/inicio/index.htm
    Last edited by Dimthar; 04-19-2008 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Added roleplayin comment.
    Saluti
    Carlos

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast