Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What are you currently reading?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Just finished two Joe Haldeman books (Old Twentieth and A Separate War), read a John Ringo book (Ghost) on the recommendation from someone and it was fricking lame, had to put down a Harry Turtledove book (Alternate General's III) because I wasn't getting into it, am reading Tsathoggaga Cycle: Terror of the Toad God and one of the Man Kzin books (Man Kzin Wars XI) which is a sequel to Man Kzin Wars X: The Wunder Wars that I didn't know at the time.

Game book wise I'm reading Arsenal (SR4), Street Magic (SR4), Fistful o' Zombies (AFMBE), and Pulp Zombies (AFMBE).

Magazine wise I'm reading Rider, Motorcycle Consumer News, Back Street Choppers, and American Motorcyclist. I also pick up Sport Rider from time to time.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i think it's quite interesting just how many multi-readers we have. that, or speed-readers. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    i think it's quite interesting just how many multi-readers we have. that, or speed-readers. ^^
    It depends on the book. I generally have two or three books open at one time. For example, four of the books above were collections of stories. The Ringo book was some real bad fluff.

The Shadowrun books are on PDF so I can read them anywhere just as the technical book are. I have a subscription to O'Reilly's Safari bookshelf for access to technical books.

And that's also over the past week or so. "Currently" means different things to folks.

Carl
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm currently reading through the "His Dark Materials" trilogy, and I've got a bunch of things on the current pile-- "Demon Princes" by Jack Vance, another run at "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell", there's a Nora Roberts someplace I should get to, "Dragon Bones" that I got when I went into the hospital and never read.
    GM of a Gaslight JL Mutants & Masterminds game, by PbP.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I also just picked up and started on Deep Storm by Lincoln Child.
    Update on that. I finished Deep Storm, which I'd give 3 out of 5 on. It was okay. The next book I'm tearing into now is The Descent by Jeff Long. I've only just started on it, but I'm loving it so far. But, I'm a sucker for Hell-centric stories -- especially since they're good inspiration for my current campaign, The Damned, which is set in Hell.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    just finished talion:revenant, and browsed through some of the phule series by robert asprin. and i picked up several hundreds of books in text that i'm going to work my way through next.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Once, I realized I was reading 4 books at the same time. *lol* It's a really old habit with me though. It came out of the need to research for 3 different 400-Level History Classes at the same damn time. (Will never do that again)

Hey Farcaster, ever read the "Heroes in Hell" Series? It's really good and really funny. One of the books had the best tag line ever: "Be it ever so horrible, there's no place like Hell...(But there may be a way out...)" I've read 5 of the books, but there's like 6 or 7 more to read. See here I was fiddling around with the idea if I ever got my paws on a d20 Modern (maybe a d20 Past would be better) book, I'd run a campaign that was very similar to Heroes in Hell.
    Last edited by Anaesthesia; 04-01-2008 at 03:28 PM.
    There's nothing to fear except fear itself and, of course, the boogeyman.

Co-Organizer of NEPA D&D and Stroudsburg Geeks. Member of Stroudsburg Area Gaming Association.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Picked up and finished Small favor yesterday, Now aside from my American Lit class Im looking to find another book or to to delve into.
    Kore RPG - AP Podcast of Irreverent Humor
    Heroic Journey Publishing

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No kidding, I'm lucky if I can get through a book in 4 months. Then again, the only time I really read is when sitting on the porcelain throne.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Generally I get my reading before going to bed. It calms and focuses my thoughts so I can relax. My wife says it takes me less than 5 minutes to go to sleep.

Sometimes I'll just take a break and spend a few hours either in my library or go down to the lake and sit and read a book.

Right now I have the core All Flesh Must Be Eaten book with me at work and at lunch I'll be outside (probably) finishing it up. I read Atlas of the Walking Dead the night before last and The Book of Archetypes 1 and 2 and most of the little adventure that came with the Zombie Master's Screen last night (Coffee Break of the Damned I believe it's called).

And yea, I'll take a book with me to the can from time to time although generally I have a magazine and not a book.

Carl

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Frobozz View Post
    No kidding, I'm lucky if I can get through a book in 4 months. Then again, the only time I really read is when sitting on the porcelain throne.
    Well, I don't do any reading on the can, but I am myself a (partly-deliberately) slow reader. It tends to take me about a month of on-again, off-again reading to finish a 400-ish page novel. I have to be in a quiet, comfortable place to read (at home in my recliner). That said, that really only accounts for about 6-8 days of actual reading as I tend to read 50-75 pages at a sit. This probably has more to do with the demands of my lifestyle and my limited reading environment than anything else.

But I've also taken to this kind of deliberate pacing because I find I enjoy and remember books more when I give myself some "thinking time" between reads. I like to read several chapters and spend some time thinking about my impressions, my hopes and fears, and generally expanding my attachment to the characters. I've been reading Dresden Files this way and it has now become my favorite fiction series ever. I've had time to contemplate the characters and cosmology and I love it all.

I picked up Small Favor yesterday, but I probably won't get to it for a couple months because I'm not that far in the series yet...but I knew I had to have it, because I know I'll read it and love it.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ice Station by Matthew Reilly. It would be just another die hard type movie, but hey, if it's done right it would be entertaining at the least.'Water for Elephants' by Sara Gruen.and'7th Heaven' by James PattersonSure - they're
    both good books.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I was trying to get through the Elfstones of Shannara, but I just couldn't get into the story. I should have known better when the Sword of Shannara--the first book in the series--was a blatant ripoff of Lord of the Rings down to the evil witch king, the enigmatic wizard type, a corrupting sorcerer, and an epic class of the good races versus the evil races.
    I completely agree about the Sword of Shannara (I think it's still in the trunk of my car, half-way read). The Elfstones were much better, I thought. Although Brooks seems to have very one-dimensional relationships throughout.

As I came late to SciFi/Fantasy/RP, I've been catching up lately. I just finished everything Neil Gaiman wrote - and just loved Anansi Boys. And I think after finishing Galworthy's Forsyte Saga (picked up because I wondered who the super hot guy on the PBS commercials was - Damian Lewis!) I might reread Dan Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion series.

Melefresh

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by at5115 View Post
    The Elfstones were much better, I thought. Although Brooks seems to have very one-dimensional relationships throughout... I might reread Dan Simmons' Hyperion/Endymion series.
    I probably would have enjoyed the Sword of Shannara, if I hadn't been so familiar with the plot line already. I only got about halfway through the Elfstones before I had to put the book down and move on to something else for a while. I still haven't come back to it. I'd have to agree with your assessment that the character interactions are a bit stilted and wooden. I especially am not awestruck by the enigmatic druid as I think Brooks was hoping for.

As to Hyperion, it is a tough read. Or at least it was for me. His prose is colorful and he often throws out techno-babble without any contextual clues. I read and reread the first two pages at least five times before I was able to move on and finally get a handle on what I was reading. Once I had a feel for his style though, I really did like Hyperion. If any of you have read the books before, you might have guessed by my alias, Farcaster, which I brazenly stole from Simmons. It was just too perfect really. I needed a login to check out this whole "World Wide Web" thing, and I had just got done reading Hyperion where travelers were able to step through portals between worlds (called farcasting) on the World-Web. Voila! An alias was born.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by at5115 View Post
    As I came late to SciFi/Fantasy/RP, I've been catching up lately. I just finished everything Neil Gaiman wrote - and just loved Anansi Boys. Melefresh
    Is that good? I've only read American Gods and Neverwhere, although I do have Anasi Boys and Good Omens/Bad Omens on Mt. TBR.

I've finished Dark Water (kinda dissapointed); gave up reading Darkness and Light. Started Blood Autumn by Kathryn Ptacek.
    There's nothing to fear except fear itself and, of course, the boogeyman.

Co-Organizer of NEPA D&D and Stroudsburg Geeks. Member of Stroudsburg Area Gaming Association.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast