Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What are you currently reading?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I recently re-read Out of the Silent Planet. What an amazing series. Blew my mind again.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    being that it is thanksgiving, i was reading the original thanksgiving story as told by the native americans, detailing why they held the thanksgiving ceremony that they shared with the pilgrims in the first place. hint: the thanksgiving ceremony predates the pilgrims by over a thousand years and more.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just started reading Hyperion, by Dan Simmons.
    Just finished reading Game of Thrones.

RPG Design Alliance is coming! We are bringing together people that want to create or help create quality games.
    QT Games is revamping and expanding our Cosmothea Roleplaying Game, which features fantasy, science fiction and superheroes. Not trying to take anyone away from Pen and Paper Games, but if you're curious to take a peek ... visitors are always welcome!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just finished reading Inheritance by Christopher Paolini. It was amazing.
    Now I'm about 200 pages into 11/22/63 by Stephen King. And it it SPECTACULAR!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not sure how I got 160 pages into Stephen Lawhead's first book of the Pendragon Cycle. Part of it has a good story, the other half is boring. The writing style is no Hemingway. Reads like a kids book.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    Spellwright, by Blake Charlton

It is a GREAT new magic system (not really playable in RPG's), and the characters are believable. I am 75% done and can't wait to finish it. VERY nice - and I'm REALLY jaded.
    I finished the book a while ago, and was wrong - the magic system is merely flavor that is every easily playable in RPG's - and the book was GREAT!! After some post-read research, I found that Blake Charlton is a FIRST TIME WRITER (this was his first published work), which blew my socks off. I am looking about for his second installment, "Spellbound".

The first book reads like a fantasy adventure. Really, I can't recommend it highly enough. Good stuff, Maynard!! (/gush)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just finished Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds. It's the first book of his I've read that's not set in his Revelation Space setting. It delivered the space opera I was missing in Vinge's Children of the Sky. Overall, Reynolds' wide-reaching scope in this novel reminded me of some of Arthur C. Clarke's stories, such as his 2001 series or Rendezvous with Rama, but with more dynamic characterization.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Had to move away from Sherlock Holmes for a bit, couldn't find anymore of them in ebook format. My shelves are completely full and a pile has started forming in front of them, until I get rid of a few I have to stick with stuff that fits into the nook. So I've moved on to reading some old pulp Doc Savage tales, The Man of Bronze and the Land of Terror.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My Life as a Night Elf Priest: An Anthropological Account of World of Warcraft, by Bonnie Nardi. Required reading for school, specifically a course on anthropology research methods in virtual worlds. It's an ethnography of WoW players, as a distinct sub-culture, and really good. Academic, but fairly accessible. It was a good reference for my own work this semester.

Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    The writing style is no Hemingway.
    In some circles, this is considered favorable :P

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i was reading the book of mormon this morning. i find it very interesting. guess i'm really into tales from the native americans.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I loved it myself but each to their own taste some like stuff while others hate it.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane

Its an interesting collection of stories from an RPG perspective. The stories generally have a straightforward narrative of Kane overcoming all obstacles to bring justice, which is normally death, to his target. Its very similar to how a campaign usually plays out or at least the way my players handle them. The supernatural twist to many of the stories gave me interesting ideas to use against my players.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the hobbit, to my boys for part of their bedtime stories. first time for them, 50the or 60th or so for me?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just started reading Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan.
    Probably going to be one of the best books I ever read and I'm only on chapter 5

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Dragon's Ring" by Dave Freer.
    It's out of the ordinary for me to read about a female lead character - but the intrigue and subterfuge are just amazing in this book. Also, the way I like to start new characters in my world is to have them originate from an out-of-the-way back-water - so they experience the full on, "OMG" with mouths agape when they hit the "big city" - and this book has it in SPADES!!

I have about 80 pages left, and it seems to be heading to a glorious ending. I haven't been able to figure out how it will end - which is a HUGE plus in my book.

BRAVO, Mr. Freer!!!