Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What are you currently reading?

bionec Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi.............
    Currently i reading a book which is my favorite.Book name is Illuminates,This book is best for mind.
    After 1 day i start my new book.

Christmas bingo
    Last edited by bionec; 11-05-2011 at 04:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I finished Children of the Sky. It was good, very good, but I guess I shouldn't have paid attention to that map in the front of the book. Maybe it was same map as the one in Fire Upon the Deep? The book was very Vingean, no mistake there: it's got technology, it's got science, and it's even got Tines. Although it's the third book in his Zones of Thought series, it gave me more of the feel of his Bobble series. So, yes, it's a planetary romance, which means I'm now on the prowl for a good space opera.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bionec View Post
    Hi.............
    Currently i reading a book which is my favorite.Book name is Illuminates,This book is best for mind.
    After 1 day i start my new book.]
    I understood everyone of those words..but not in that order.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Ipsissimus, by E.A. Koetting, and 5 others: The Complete Chronicles of Conan, by Robert E. Howard; Brunner, The Bounty Hunter (Omnibus), by C.L. Werner; Alien: Steal Egg, by John Shirley; In The Beginning: Age of Zombies Series, by Dave Frizzell, and I'm still working on The Pirate King, by R.A. Salvatore.

Even though I have yet to finish any of the above listed books, they are all - so far - at least a 4-Star rating, Ipsissimus and Conan being 5-Star; though I will readily admit that I may harbor some bias towards Robert E. Howards Conan.

I need to get at least a few of the above books completed before this weekend due to the fact that I have more coming it from different sources. One book in particular that I am looking forward to beginning is a scifi novel entitled, Crusade (StarFire book 2), by David Weber & Steve White, though it's #1 chronologically in the series. Amazon and - I believe - *pbs rates this one a 4-Star. Lets hope so. I'm finding that my interests have moved more into the scifi realm, as of late.

*pbs = www.paperbackswap.com

*I totally recommend it, so join today. It's a great way to read books on a budget. If you do, be kind and give me the credit. My name on that site is: ufoundbrent. When you join, and some of you will, be sure to "friend me." BTW, it's also a great way to swap out your gaming material that you may have lost some interest in for gaming material in which you have more interest in. Did I mention membership to that site is free? It is!

**Thoth's question of the day: I was in a conversation with a scifi nut recenty (and I mean this in a complimentary way), and while in an engaged conversation I had stated that anyone really interested in fantasy must have read at least one Conan story by Robert E. Howard. His counter was similar regarding scifi novels except that his belief was that any true scifi novel fan must have read The Mote in God's Eye, by Larry Niven. A book I have not, as of yet, had the pleasure of reading.

**Okay, to the question: Do you all agree with any or all parts of this last paragraph? Which, and why? If you disagree with my recommendation of Conan and/or The Mote in God's Eye recommendation, please share which books you believe should be read in place of. I always love to hear/read others POV.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 11-09-2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Improbable Tales of Sherlock Holmes. Its been a while since I've read any Sherlockian stuff, and somehow I never know of this collection.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not in the Canon I would think. However some non-canon Holmes stories are good.
    Last edited by tesral; 11-15-2011 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Typing at oh dark thirty

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No they definitely aren't in the canon, but still enjoyable reads.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just reading The Miss New Mexico program book!

Downloads
    Uploads
    At the moment, I'm reading A Game of Thrones. Next up, I'll read a scifi book. Haven't sorted out which author/story yet though. Something far future, I imagine.
    RPG Design Alliance is coming! We are bringing together people that want to create or help create quality games.
    QT Games is revamping and expanding our Cosmothea Roleplaying Game, which features fantasy, science fiction and superheroes. Not trying to take anyone away from Pen and Paper Games, but if you're curious to take a peek ... visitors are always welcome!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, just finished The Complete Chronicles of Conan, by Robert E. Howard (5 Stars!), & Alien: Steal Egg, by John Shirley (3.5 Stars!).

Tonight, I am beginning two more books: Crusade (StarFire book 2), by David Weber & Steve White, & The Han Solo Adventures Omnibus (books 1-3), by Brian Daley.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 11-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
    No they definitely aren't in the canon, but still enjoyable reads.
    I Personally I recommend "The Holmes-Dracula File" by Saberhagen and "West-End Horror", author not remembered ( Nicholas Meyer, I got an internet thing.)

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    I Personally I recommend "The Holmes-Dracula File" by Saberhagen and "West-End Horror", author not remembered ( Nicholas Meyer, I got an internet thing.)
    Oooh! Even more Sherlock stuff. Whats this Dracula Series? Guess I'll have to pick up the one before as well.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
    Oooh! Even more Sherlock stuff. Whats this Dracula Series? Guess I'll have to pick up the one before as well.

Yes it is. "The Dracula Tapes" is a decent piece and explains his take on the old Vampire. The books are eposotic, you don't need to read all of them in order.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, just finished In The Beginning: Age of Zombies Series (Solid 4 Star!), by Dave Frizzell, and I'm beginning a new book entitled, Fire: It Begins with the End, by William Esmont. It's another zombie book that comes highly recommended. We will see.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finished The Song of Ice and Fire series last night. Excellent book. Was very similar to my fantasy game. That was the most fiction I have read since I got married back in 88. My wife handed me Stephen Lawhead's Taliesin. It is a five or six part series called the Pendragon Cycle. Am about 20 pages into it and finding it very hard to continue reading. She says it gets better. I do hope so or I'm going back to non-fiction.