Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What are you currently reading?

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm looking forward to the release of the next Gotrek and Felix novel being released later this year. It's called, Zombieslayer.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 07-28-2010 at 12:47 AM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just finished Witch Finder, on to the next one in the omni bus
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Loved that omnibus. Good stuff.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Erak's Ransom by John Flannagan, book seven of the Ranger's Apprentice series. It's billed as "young adult" reading, but I'm hooked on the historic atmosphere.

I recommend them all!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Beginning Old Man's War, by John Scalzi, this evening. Pretty damn original. Check it out when you all have time.

4.5 stars on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Old-Mans-War-J.../dp/0765309408

Downloads
    Uploads
    Love the Ranger's apprentice series myself but if they meet one more "best of whatever he does" character I might scream. I mean come on he's taught by the best, mentored by the second best, his best friend is a natural swordsman, his girlfriend who grew up effectively in an orphanage is an amazing diplomat with perfect noble behavior, where another girl is a world class cook, the baron and battlemaster are both top knights. You get the idea. But then again this is part of where the "young adult" part comes in./rant
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Marooned in Realtime by Vernor Vinge, the sequel to The Peace War. Set fifty million years after the 1990s, with a couple of the old characters still kicking around, it looks like it serves both as a murder mystery and a survey of speculative evolutionary biology. Pretty cool on both counts, so far!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by shilar View Post
    Love the Ranger's apprentice series myself but if they meet one more "best of whatever he does" character I might scream. I mean come on he's taught by the best, mentored by the second best, his best friend is a natural swordsman, his girlfriend who grew up effectively in an orphanage is an amazing diplomat with perfect noble behavior, where another girl is a world class cook, the baron and battlemaster are both top knights. You get the idea. But then again this is part of where the "young adult" part comes in./rant
    Ach, that's one of the reasons I liked it, as it reminded me of any standard D&D adventure. I also saw the appeal to the "YA" group, as they tend to do a lot of "hero worship" and everyone in authority is the bestest of the best of the best. My biggest complaint was in Sorceror of the North where Flannagan REALLY beat the, "If you break your word, you are a poopy head and everyone will hate you," meme to death.

Still, it's great escapism until the next Wheel of Time book comes out!!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh man, the first chapter of Old Man's War was awesome. Glad to find out that there are four books out in the series as of now.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm almost finished with The Name of the Wind. I was a little surprised that not much seemed to happen in the book. I know it was meant to be the first part in a trilogy, but still I expected that after 700 pages (at least thats what my nook claims) there would be some sort of conflict or major event that the characters would overcome. A lot of little stuff happened, that was all clearly meant to be the groundwork for a much larger story. Just a little disappointing that there was no real climax in the book.

That said, its been a very enjoyable book to read; and I'm looking forward to A Wise Man's Fears. If the series will hold to being a trilogy I'm expecting quite a bit to happen in that book.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    An old sci-fi book from the 70's.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So I finish Name of the Wind and think: That was really good, I should get The Wise Man's Fear and continue the story. Off I go to barnesandnoble.com and see about getting it for the Nook. For some reason they are selling it at double the price of all the other books I've bought for the nook. I check Borders and Amazon and they are doing the same price gouging, I'm pretty sure that all 3 places will drop the price in a few months.

My next thought is that 15 minutes of searching will turn up a free copy. I wonder if any of these company's have a clue how their ridiculous pricing games encourage piracy? Had they listed it at the normal price I'd have bought a copy and contentedly been reading. Instead I'm looking over my list of unread books and noticing that I never finished the Chronicles of Prydain books. So now I'm reading the Castle of Llyr.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Best of Dragon 1-5

Downloads
    Uploads
    Re-reading The Art of War and Go Rin No Sho.
    New stuff would be Game of Thrones and the occasional Walking Dead when I remember to pick up issues.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reviewing a few magickal texts.