Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What are you currently reading?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I just finished Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch. It's the second book in a series about, in my opinion, the greatest thief and liar ever(The first book is The Lies of Locke Lamorra). Very well written, I really recommend it.

Also finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.
    It's very good as well.

Did someone say something about actual Shadowrun books? Like novels? I need to get my hands on those.
    Normal people worry me.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Igbutton View Post
    Did someone say something about actual Shadowrun books? Like novels? I need to get my hands on those.
    I've seen them on the shelf at Half Price Books quite often. Never read any as there are already far too many books on the "waiting list". Could be interesting, but could just as easily be very, very bad. Such is the nature of "RPG fiction".
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I've seen them on the shelf at Half Price Books quite often. Never read any as there are already far too many books on the "waiting list". Could be interesting, but could just as easily be very, very bad. Such is the nature of "RPG fiction".
    i've only read one, it wasn't bad, but it was BRUTAL. very in line with the setting, not something i'd let a kid younger than high school age read.
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Downloads
    Uploads
    Books I Have Recently Finished

"Dies the Fire" S.M.Stirling -- a great book about the end of the world.

"World War Z" Max Brooks -- a tale of the Great Zombie War told by the author of the "Zombie Survival Guide".

"City of the Beast" Michael Moorcock -- The first Michael Kane of Mars books.

"Black Gods and Scarlet Dreams" C.L. Moore -- a compiliation of the Jirel of Joire sword and sorcery tales.

"A History of the Vikings" Gwyn Jones -- non-fiction historical

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

old stuff

I went to the used book store and found a couple of good ones:

Assassin's Apprentice (Robin Hobb)
    Not all that much going on in the book action-wise but it was a good to see a 'bad guy' as the main character. I will certainly get the rest of the series.

Divided Allegiance (The deads of Paksenarrion bk 2, Elisabeh Moon)
    You can get the first book as a free e-book. Now that I've read this I'll have to find the last one. It's like reading someone's gaming sessions if they ran a single player RPG but the character is more interesting than what you normally end up with in that style of book.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fitz Chivalry is not a villian, he's a hero...(flase wa wa wa crying noises)

Quote Originally Posted by wizard_in_motley View Post
    I went to the used book store and found a couple of good ones:
    Assassin's Apprentice (Robin Hobb)
    Not all that much going on in the book action-wise but it was a good to see a 'bad guy' as the main character. I will certainly get the rest of the series.
    Sorry, I just had to. I love Fitz Chilvary...even more so in the second trilogy involving him. He takes in an orphan named "Hap" who was a mishap and although when I first read it I thought it was really slow I now love the little meditation on him raising his son.

He is a real sexual tightwad though, which I do not find to nice when it came to him and certain Twany person.
    Peace "We are that which we repeatedly do. Excellence is not an act but a habit. Our intents are manifest in our words, our actions, our songs, and our play. May we all know peace."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    reading andre norton's oak, ash, rowan and yew series.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've read the Memory, Sorrow, & Thorn series when it came out. I, too, loved it. It's up there with Dennis Mckiernan's Iron Tower trilogy, Raymond E. Fiest's Midkemia Series, and Glen Cook's The Black Company.

Stan Nichols's First Blood series is great too. Especially, if you like orcs. It's about a band of orc( and a dwarf) mercanaries that go searching for a powerful artifact that everyone seems to be after, including their former employers who are hunting them.

I liked Elfstones of Shannara. I guess we all have differant opinions. But yeh, there is a bit of LOTR there. Especially in the first book. Voyage of The Jerle of Shannara is a decent airship trip and Heritage of Shannara is good.

I enjoyed The Wheel of Time Books up until Book 5. There were too many characters introduced and some older ones just dissapeered from the stories in the later volumes. I did hope he'd finish them, but that didn't happen. Too bad.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been devouring warhammer fantasy and Conan novels. What can i say, it's my favorite fantasy... dark & gritty.

When it comes to Drow, the War of the Spider Queen series quenched my thirst, if that's even possible.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am now reading the Legacy series of Star Wars books.

Set 40 years after Return of the Jedi and centers around the children of Han and Leia and Luke and Mara.

Fun times!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post

Set 40 years after Return of the Jedi and centers around the children of Han and Leia and Luke and Mara.

Fun times!
    I love Star Wars and everything about it except... Han and Leia. I have no idea why. I know theyve been putting out books since the '70's and have always wanted to read them so in order to make myself begin, i just need to know one thing; "do they make those characters a lot more wicked and capable than the movies portrayed?" Thanks.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post

Fun times!
    What's the mood of this "after" story ?
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoth-Amon View Post
    I love Star Wars and everything about it except... Han and Leia. I have no idea why. I know theyve been putting out books since the '70's and have always wanted to read them so in order to make myself begin, i just need to know one thing; "do they make those characters a lot more wicked and capable than the movies portrayed?" Thanks.

Thoth-Amon
    Han and Leia wicked!!?? No, they are not. In fact one thing that bothers me is that it is mentioned several times how much of a killer Han ISN'T!!! For those of you who feel strongly that Han did indeed shoot first.

Han and Leia for the most part are background characters. The story centers on their two kids, Jacen and Jaina, and Luke and Mara's son, Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    What's the mood of this "after" story ?

The Galactic Alliance is struggling to hold the galaxy together while Corellia is wanting to form its own naval fleet and does so in secret AND they are trying to bring Centerpoint station back online!

The Jedi Council, is struggling with its place in the Galaxy, since it doesn't want to be a participant in a war that they can't seem to avoid.

Jacen Solo feels it's his duty to bring peace to the galaxy, ala his grandfather Anakin.

Ben Skywalker is Jacen's apprentice and struggles with wanting to be a grown up and not recognized as a Skywalker and how dark his master, Jacen , is becoming.

Jaina feels her brother slipping to the dark side but is fearful to confront him about it.

A mysterious Sith lady has reappeared and is manipulating the events of the Galaxy.

So all in all it has a grey mood. Not everything is as it seems and the lines between right and wrong and justice and chaos are blurred.

I recommend them!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of the setting you describe is unfamiliar to me. Is there like another series of books for those 40 years in between ? Or is it an effect of you trying to sum up the whole shebang ?
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    A lot of the setting you describe is unfamiliar to me. Is there like another series of books for those 40 years in between ? Or is it an effect of you trying to sum up the whole shebang ?
    In between this time you have the Thrawn trilogy, The New Jedi order series, and the Joiner King series. I know there is another 2 or 3 series inbetween this time also but not sure what they are.

I have only begun to read the Thrawn Trilogy, but you don't need to have read the books prior to this series. They explain most of what you need to know.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast