Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What are you currently reading?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I bought a crap book to just pass some time when I eat lunch at work... and fell in love with it.

In Legend Born by Laura Resnick. The backstory and character development are great, and I can't recommend it enough.

Next project: New Psionics Handbook for Pathfinder.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    keith laumer's retief series

elizabeth moon's paksenarrion series

chris dolley's resonance
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm in the middle of "Marriage and Family in the Middle Ages" to help round out campaign background stuff. Very interesting - but VERY dry. It's another of the middle age-based books by Margaret Gies, and award-winning author of historical novels.

After this one - FANTASY, baby!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Apple Cart written by G. B. Shaw.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just finished the last book in the Eye of the World series by Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson). Book 14 (A Memory of Light) was almost all combat and moved so damned fast that I had to read it in chunks because it took my breath away. It was an excellent ending for an excellent series, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Now I'm in Knights of the Blazing Sun - a Warhammer 20K book. About 20% done and it still seems promising. We'll see.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    just reread all seven books of the gandalara cycle for fun.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Journey written by Tony Blair.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm finishing up Peter Pan.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mushashi, Art of War, The Prince and other writings by Niccolo, The Tomb of Horrors (Greyhawk Classics novel), LOTR, & The Mote in God's Eye. I can never read just one book at a time. Heck, if I could watch more than one movie at a time, that'd be great.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just finished A Thousand Sons last night. Reading a book on Speed Reading now since it takes me so long to plow though a book. The authors write them faster than I read them.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by calico_jack73 View Post
    Just finished A Thousand Sons last night. Reading a book on Speed Reading now since it takes me so long to plow though a book. The authors write them faster than I read them.
    I'd love to read faster. Interesting timing that you brought up a topic on speed reading, calico_jack73, for I have considered the same thing - I've even done a bit of research on it; unfortunately, and oddly, the reviews always seem to go from 1 Star to 5.. Be sure to let me/us know how the speed reading book works out for you.

Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    I'd love to read faster. Interesting timing that you brought up a topic on speed reading, calico_jack73, for I have considered the same thing - I've even done a bit of research on it; unfortunately, and oddly, the reviews always seem to go from 1 Star to 5.. Be sure to let me/us know how the speed reading book works out for you.

I'm reading this one, http://www.amazon.com/Speed-Reading-...=speed+reading

I figure that at just $1 it won't hurt to give it a try. I know that something has to work because my grandfather too a speed reading class back in the day and was able to plow through Isaac Asimov's Nemesis in just one day. He reads the entire daily newspaper in about an hour or two. Hell, I'm happy just to get through the comics in an hour.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Link and quick reply appreciated, calico_jack73.

I'd love to try out that book, but at this time, I don't own a Kindle. I will, however, save this link for future reference. Who knows, I may just break down and get a Kindle one day soon.

Again, once you've read this book and tried the techniques, let us know your what you think. Heck, if it even doubles your reading speed -- Kindle, here I come!

Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 02-20-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    Link and quick reply appreciated, calico_jack73.

I'd love to try out that book, but at this time, I don't own a Kindle. I will, however, save this link for future reference. Who knows, I may just break down and get a Kindle one day soon.

Again, once you've read this book and tried the techniques, let us know your what you think. Heck, if it even doubles your reading speed -- Kindle, here I come!

It was a short book and it basically helped analyze causes of reading slowly and gave techniques to improve. Not an instant fix because it will take practice to improve. Luckily as a roleplayer I have a ton of material that I can practice on... prewritten adventures.

For me the two things that slow me down are 1) Subvocalization and 2) Wandering eyes. Subvocalization is a big thing for me... basically as my eyes move over the text I am reading "out loud" in my mind. This limits my reading speed to the speed that I speak. The key is to trust your brain to keep up with your eyes. Increase the speed that you are moving your eyes left to right... not to crazy levels but faster than you can speak to basically show yourself that you can still absorb the text. Over time you should be able to continue increasing your speed. The second thing is that every once in a while I'll back up and start a sentence over or go back a couple lines even if there was really no need to. The suggested fix for this is to use an index card to cover what you've already read so that you can't go back.
    Between the two problems I think that subvocalization is my real problem.

BTW, you don't need a Kindle to read it. You can download a free reading app for your PC and read any Kindle books on it. Since you are writing this post I assume you have a computer of some kind. :P

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe my Windows 8 has just an app. BTW, how does purchasing a Kindle book work with Amazon? Does Amazon send you a download link, or does Amazon email a link to your registered email? Curious!