Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: What are you currently reading?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha View Post
    It's a nice homage to Kipling
    I've a bit of a love hate relationship with Kipling. I very much like his poetry, and most of his stories are wonderful, but a few are quite dull. And yet, since I am a big fan of his poetry, and generally enjoy his storytelling, I force myself to read even the tedious ones all the way through, and then bear him a grudge for a couple of weeks.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by XeroDrift View Post
    I've a bit of a love hate relationship with Kipling. I very much like his poetry, and most of his stories are wonderful, but a few are quite dull. And yet, since I am a big fan of his poetry, and generally enjoy his storytelling, I force myself to read even the tedious ones all the way through, and then bear him a grudge for a couple of weeks.
    Note everyone has a hit every time. I'm a Kipling fan myself.

Music improves the poems. Cold Iron, Normans & Saxons, Our Fathers of Old are all titles of albums Kipling poems set to music. I'm breathlessly wanting for the reissue of "The Undertakers Horse".

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    -Fire in the Minds of Men
    -Four arguements for the Elimination of Television
    -The sercret teachings of all ages
    -Restaurant at the end of the universe

Mind you I don't read as much as I used to

Peace & Light
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Update: Just finished Thongor and the Wizard of Lemuria. Moving on to Thongor and the Dragon City now...
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Currently I'm tearing through a series called "Vampire Earth." I forget the author... E E Knight maybe.... something with a double letter initial at any rate.... I'm also reading "City of Ash" with(but mostly to because my throught holds out longer) my fiance after having finished "City of Glass."
    Oh, and I'm reading a book called "Stolen" that I grabed off the kid's room shelf at random when I ran out of bathroom reading.

On a slightly less related note I was hoping some of you guy's could help me out. I'm trying to remember the name of a series I was reading back in middle school that a friend that I've since lost contact with lent me. The only thing I can remember about the books is that one of the main characters is a woman who uses true name magic, one is half some AWESOME race that can sense things with the surfaced veins on his body, and the third is... ummm.... big and strong I think..... Oh, and they travel over a root of a Tree through the world and come out very very much later..... trying to think of the title evokes the image of a harp for some reason. Sorry I can't provide more info. I tried this question on yahoo answers and didn't really get anything very helpfull other than the fact that I now know it's not Wayfarer's Redemption. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out. Oh yeah, I just rememberd that while they were traveling on the root the girl had to use her truename magic to get all three of them (one at a time) through a fire of some kind and it subtly altered all of them because she was chanting her image of them... kinda like going through a forge and burning off all the impurities. I remember thinking how awesome that would be at the time....
    Last edited by Ishcumbeebeeda; 11-15-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: remembered some stuff to add

If everything needed to be taught in order to be learned nothing would be known.

This is far more fun than it has any right to be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ish, That would be Elizabeth Hayden Rhapsody series... Very Cool!!!
    A Rope IS too a weapon. Be Sneaky!
    I would ask a penny for my thoughts, but.... I don't have change...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Corporate Finance... once again.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaksta View Post
    Ish, That would be Elizabeth Hayden Rhapsody series... Very Cool!!!
    YES! Just reading the name I remember it now! So, thanks to the magic that is interlibrary loan I shall soon be rereading/reading this as well. You have no idea how happy this makes me and how awesome this just made this day... this might help to describe it...

If everything needed to be taught in order to be learned nothing would be known.

This is far more fun than it has any right to be.

Downloads
    Uploads
    School reading is Injustice and the Care of Souls. I'll have to respond to a few vignettes in it while trying not to pay attention to the Buffalo Sabres hockey game. Win or go home.

Pleasure reading is Ireland's Pirate Queen: The True Story of Grace O'Malley, 1530 - 1603. Grabbed it out of a bargain bin at Barnes & Noble for a few dollar bills that I had in my pocket. I'm always looking for literary works that I can interpret into leather projects.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

The Complete Chronicles of Conan, Initiation, and Death and Dishonour, by Robert E. Howard, & Elisabeth Haich, respectively; the third having been written by various authors, including Nathan Long, C.L. Werner, and David Earle. All excellent books, BTW.

Next will be The Complete Works of Lovecraft. Can't wait.

I also have in my possession The Lost Horizon II. The first one, written in 1933 and introduced the mythical Himalayan city of Shangri-La, written by James Hilton, was awesome, so i hope the 2nd one is at least half as good. We will see.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 04-26-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Finished up Changes, the latest Dresden Files book, and The Winter's Tale. Now it's on to The Tempest and ... something else I haven't decided on yet :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Re-reading "The Cell" by John Miller, Michael Stone, and Chris Mitchell. It's about the 9/11 attacks and the Al-Qaeda conspiracy behind them. It served as inspiration for "The Path to 9/11" (2006) television miniseries and its sources were cited in the 9/11 Commission Report.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    The Complete Chronicles of Conan, Initiation, and Death and Dishonour, by Robert E. Howard, & Elisabeth Haich, respectively; the third having been written by various authors, including Nathan Long, C.L. Werner, and David Earle. All excellent books, BTW.

Next will be The Complete Works of Lovecraft. Can't wait.
    Robert Howard and Lovecraft ran in the same circles and had a good friendship for a number of years before Robert's life took a turn for the worst.

I now pick up American Transcendentalism for a second time and read as much as I write. I need a break from school but the summer isn't going to be any easier.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm reading at this very moment, Business Law: The Ethical, Global, and E-Commerce Environment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Might start up Neil deGrasse Tyson's Death by Black Hole and Other Cosmic Quandries sometime this week. It's been on our shelf for a year or two now, heh.