Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Will you be updating to 4th Edition?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Will you be updating to 4th Edition?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • I plan to buy 4th edition and start using it in my game right away.

37 24.50%
  • I plan on buying 4th edition when it comes out and start using it in my next campaign.

24 15.89%
  • I'm waiting until more supplemental materials come out before I start using 4th edition.

9 5.96%
  • I think there will be a revision to 4.5e in the near future and I'm waiting for that before I buy.

7 4.64%
  • I may use some of the concepts from 4th edition in my game, but I have no intention of upgrading.

17 11.26%
  • I'm happy with 3.x, and I'm not interested in 4th edition at all.

34 22.52%
  • I didn't upgrade to 3rd edition, and I don't plan on updating to 4th either.

23 15.23%
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you be updating to 4th Edition?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Will you be updating to 4th Edition?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Wizards recently proclaimed that 4th Edition is at the Printer!, and we are now only a little over two months away from the June 6th release date. I'm curious, with all of the information we've heard over the last many months, how many D&D players out there plan on updating to the new version. Was your decision to buy or not buy changed since the original announcement?

(Please limit this discussion to the merits of the new/old system, not the company itself)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51an4V7MQJL._SS500_.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	95   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51QEsAalhBL._SS500_.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	96   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	51YtXLqtpkL._SS500_.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	97  

Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will purchase the books simply because I collect RPGs.

I imagine it will be a long time before I actually run a 4e game or participate in one. Our group currently has no plans on starting a 4e game.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    We just found out we've got another gamer in development, be another 8 months before release. There isn't a prayer that I'll have ANY money to buy anything 4th edition in the near, or FAR future, or any other games for that matter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    I will purchase the books simply because I collect RPGs.

I imagine it will be a long time before I actually run a 4e game or participate in one. Our group currently has no plans on starting a 4e game.
    Same here, but I gonna wait a bit just in case of 4.5.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Honestly I'd rather play FATE, BRP, or nearly anything but D&D. Since D&D is The Most Popular RPG (tm), though, I've preordered the PHB ... just in case I end up in a D&D game. Plus, I'm a little curious.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now, I MAY get some of the monster guides and such. There are just tooooo many simpler and easier games systems to run. My old champaigne world will prety much stay as it is.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I cannot say for sure if I will upgrade to 4th edition or when. I have some concerns about some changes they have made in the name of "class balance," but I will reserve my final judgment until I have read the books and seen the rules in action. I'll pre-order the books, but I doubt I'll switch my current campaign over, since there is supposedly no direct translation between the editions. Besides, I currently enjoy a diverse bestiary of baddies from five Monster Manuals and dozens of supplements that I can throw up against my ragtag band of adventures. I don't think "over 300" monsters from the 4e Monster Manual are going to cut it for me.

I am kind of interested in doing a post Spellfire Plague Forgotten Realms game though, so I may give it a go when the new Forgotten Realms campaign setting comes out in August.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Downloads
    Uploads
    Let's see...I just "upgraded" to 3.5 in Sept. 07, and there's a 4th edition coming out? I haven't even got a character past 3rd level or DMed yet! Curses! Foiled Again! (I'll have to think about it)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've pre-ordered my books and eagerly await the Amazon box that will bring my 4e books.

I've actually written a new campaign that places Gnomes as one of the key bad guys without even realizing their new status as monsters.

I like many of the announced changes to the system but there are a few things I have kept from 2e and will keep from 3.5 e.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For the price that the books will cost, it will probably take awhile to get them. Also, want to make sure that the 4.5 thing doesn't happen like with 3.0 and 3.5. Wouldn't mind eventually being able to have them though, since I seem to think that eventually will be the version of choice for play.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to buy them when they come out, and my next campaign will be under the 4E rules. I have personal friends who have had their hands on the system and I trust their positive reviews. So I look forward to the system as it's coming.

Plus, their design conceits, and things like the 'points of light' concept radiate well with the sort of game I like to run, so I'm hoping this means it will be more or less 'my style of game' from the system level. Call me hopeful, I am.

--
    Grimwell

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I started on 2ed and quickly changed over to 3.0 and then moved into 3.5 only to throw up my hands in disgust over what I thought to be too many rules that made little sense to me but much cents to the TSR (or who ever). 4.0 is, however, looking like it might be more like how I run a game. Therefore I may purchase the game for the ideas it promises. But I am unlikely going to change my campaign just to change to the latest and greatest product of WotC, that would be dumb. IMNTBHO

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    IMNTBHO
    Dr. Laura fan?
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might buy the books, but probably won't be running it for my next campaign. I'm leaning towards Basic Role-Playing, which is put out by Chaosium. I've always liked the RuneQuest system and that's Basic Role-Playing, plus they're in the process of updating the rules so when the new version comes out, I'll buy it and start converting my 3.5 game back into that system.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I may flip through the things but unless the thing is a significant improvement such as "Spells work off a mana point system" or something, I'll probably pass on it.

Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast