Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Any GURPS Players/GMs Here? Hello?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any GURPS Players/GMs Here? Hello?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any GURPS Players/GMs Here? Hello?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    All I see in the GURPS forums are automated posts. Is anyone on these boards actually playing a GURPS game? If so, I'd like to know:

• Are you using 4th Edition or 3rd?
    • If you use 4th, do you also use some 3rd edition material? What's it like to port?
    • What genre(s) are you using?
    • Do you use published worlds like Yrth or the Infinite Worlds metaverse?
    • Do you use the standard magic system? Psionics? Powers? Some homebrew magic or superhuman abilities? How is it working out?
    • Generally, what do and don't you like about GURPS (any edition)?

Lest I bias the results, I'm an old 3rd edition GM who's reading up on 4th, and liking most of the changes I see. I have a grudge against the standard magic system -- as a fledgeling GM I ran a campaign of mages who ran roughshod over all my plots -- and would like to craft my own, more subtle magic rules. Yrth looks interesting for its plausible historical divergence, but I'm not keen on the standard fantasy races (another, more philosophical, bias).

Thanks for any and all replies, unless they suck. (Joss Whedon *is* my master now.)
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I used to run 3rd edition, does that count? I never really had any issues with my players running roughshod over my plots. Biggest thing to remember is to only allow the players the number of points you want to have them build characters on for the power level of your campaign. If you don't have your NPCs built powerfully enough, then you'll get PCs stomping them without them having a chance to fight back.

That's partly why I stopped using the system. I always wanted to build every important NPC, both good guys and bad, so that they would be balanced pointwise to the other PCs. Meaning, if they were more powerful than the other PCs, then they had more points, less powerful - less points, etc.

Well, I really don't have time to do that as much anymore, or I should say, don't want to spend time to do that anymore, so I've switched to the d20 system. GURPS is a great system, but it does take a lot of work, balancing points.

Hope that helps you with your game. Don't hesitate to ask more questions, I'll try and give you any advice I can. Hopefully it'll be helpful.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    • Are you using 4th Edition or 3rd?
    • If you use 4th, do you also use some 3rd edition material? What's it like to port?
    • What genre(s) are you using?
    • Do you use published worlds like Yrth or the Infinite Worlds metaverse?
    • Do you use the standard magic system? Psionics? Powers? Some homebrew magic or superhuman abilities? How is it working out?
    • Generally, what do and don't you like about GURPS (any edition)?
    I have dabbled in GURPS. I have been working on and off for the past 10 years on a campaign world that is set in a future where humans are starting to develop measurable psionic powers. When I first started working on it, I was trying to make my own system, but my attempts devolved into a series of complicated charts and graphs that were required to play, plus the minutia of creating a gaming system just got old after a while.

So, recently I tried using hte 4th edition GURPS rules as a framework for the game, and it seemed to work pretty well. My chief complaints were that even using the character builder software and doing one on ones with my players, it still took as much as 3 hours for each of them to build a character. In addition, the combat rules just seemed a tad too cumbersome. Maybe it was because I hadn't run it before or even played, so I'm definitely willing to give it another go. I like it, and I like the versatility of the GURPS Powers with limitations and enhancements to really make powers unique, but it was a bit on the complicated side.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been out of gaming for a while (as stated multiple times), and I've become enamored with the "rules-light" generic games like Fudge, FATE, and PDQ. (Maybe they'd be a better base for your new game?) Still, I'm nostalgic for GURPS, so I'd like to try 4th Edition just once.

Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    My chief complaints were that even using the character builder software and doing one on ones with my players, it still took as much as 3 hours for each of them to build a character. In addition, the combat rules just seemed a tad too cumbersome.
    The complexity of character generation worries me too. I have two vague ideas how to control it:

• Start with GURPS Lite, and introduce parts from the full rules as needed. In its 32 pages it presents the basic concepts of GURPS, without the profusion of options that quickly boggles the inexperienced.
    • Build templates not only for nonhuman species (or "races"), but for professions and character types as well. Players used to D&D or other games will feel more comfortable with pre-set abilities, but can still customize (with GM's approval) to something fitting their concept. (Alas, not an option for a GM pressed for time.)

As for combat ... I don't remember it being any more cumbersome than D&D, and in some ways easier. Maybe I should play through a combat before I speak, though ... I've only skimmed the second volume (second volume!) of the Basic (Basic?) Set. At any rate, maybe the GURPS Lite version (with a healthy dollop of Just Fudge It [tm]) would help.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Re: Players tracking mud all over your clean world ...

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    I never really had any issues with my players running roughshod over my plots. Biggest thing to remember is to only allow the players the number of points you want to have them build characters on for the power level of your campaign.
    Actually, the real problem -- and why I perhaps irrationally blame magic -- was that every character was a mage and far more experienced as players than I was as a GM. Many were old-time Champions wonks, and knew how to crock a system. Plus, as novice GM, I didn't look too closely at their spell lists, so I forgot that Player A could teleport through locked doors, and Player B could Control Earth. So, what I thought of as a challenging puzzle or political conundrum quickly turned into four spell rolls and me trying to improvise a new challenge. Not to mention metagame factors: one guy had some paranormal ability over dice, and another "friend" would do something stupid and impulsive and, when it went pear-shaped, persuaded me that what he *really* meant to do was ...

Now I'm older, and I'd like to think I'm wise enough not to allow "takebacks", and to give great responsibilities along with great power. But I still blame magic.

Aside: Actually, when Man to Man and Orcslayer first came out, with only chargen and combat rules, I was also reading the first edition of Pendragon which argued that the real legends and myths kept magic very much in the background, and I've always loved the idea of fantasy without the sort of "scientific magic" most games seem to promote. See John H. Kim's "Breaking Out of Scientific Magic Systems" for the sort of thing I'm aiming for.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Right now, GURPS 4E is my favorite gaming system. I'm an experienced gamer in the Dallas area and wouldn't mind finding a GURPS group to join. I've never played GURPS 3E and have only played GURPS 4E a few times. I'm trying to write a few campaigns, but I'm a very busy person and only work on it when I get a rare spare moment. I've started doing research for writing a GURPS 4E adventure in a historical Western (something somewhat like the DeadWood series on HBO). I've also done some development work on a Sci-Fi world of my own invention that I've been dreaming up for several years.
    The Sci-Fi world is my replacement for the Star Wars universe, since I feel like Star Wars is so "epic" that you can't really create an epic story in it. It would just be too limiting on what I can create. So, I took the Space Opera concept of Star Wars and began creating. Along the way I discovered the Battlestar Galactica series on the Sci-Fi channel and have been leaning more to the "Character Development" side of writing like they do in the Battlestar series. Anyway, I have a lot of ideas for that world/game setting which I've only begun to flesh out.
    I haven't found anyone in the Dallas area to play GURPS with, so I'm considering trying to write that Western and publish it.
    I'd be interested in joining a group if they're playing GURPS 4E. I don't really have any interest in 3E.
    I'm open to most historical settings and willing to consider pretty much any setting.
    My ideal gaming group would be one where everyone takes turns running GURPS 4E games. I'd also prefer an Internet gaming group as it would be a lot easier on the time schedule to get together via the Internet than in person. However, I'd be open to joining an in-person group in the Dallas area.
    I can be contacted at CamdenRothschild@yahoo.com Just be sure and mention GURPS.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have Transhuman Space and several other GURPS, 3rd books, but I haven't ever played or GM'ed, just haven't had the chance.

Downloads
    Uploads
    GURPS GOOD(except for fantasy and Supers)
    Ive run gurps Call of Cthulu,Star Trek(Fedaration clasic,Klingon and Lyran)Traveller,Old West,Pirates,Aliens and(yuch!)Fantasy.
    INMHO one need own only 3 games
    D&D for fantasy
    V&V for super heros
    GURPS everything else

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am looking at using GURPS to do a Post-apoc game how hard is it to do this?
    War. War never changes

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's generic and universal. You can do anything with it. Post-Apoc would fit right in, especially since there is even a post-apoc supplement for the system.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Really?!?! I didn't know that.I was thinking of maybe running the Fallout game in GURPS and if it has a post-apoc setting that might help out aswell.
    War. War never changes

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hehe, interesting issues you ran into there fmitchell, I used to have some of those same problems with my players. I primarily know gurps 3rd edition, but my cousin has the 4th edition core rulebook so I've started looking through it and integrating some of the stuff in there. For example, I like that attributes no longer cost double pts to increase after you start playing, and they've added a few interesting advantages. I still like the old version of eidetic memory though that allows you to get a discount on mental skills etc... I don't really have time for gaming these days though, so I haven't put a lot of effort into working through the whole thing and figuring out what I like and plan to use.

I always thought Gurps was awesome for a fantasy setting. I used to spend time writing stats for all my NPCs too only to have them get killed in the first few rounds of the fight, so instead I just keep vague impressions of my NPCs in my mind, like approximate strength, health and skill levels and any known spells, and a basic image of their equipment.

Gurps IS a pretty complicated system, so to avoid getting outdone by the players you do need to be just as familier with the rules, if not MORE familier than they are. Definitely read over each the spells in magic at least once so you know whats out there and what abilities the players will have by getting access to certain spells. I usually don't have a problem allowing players to choose whatever spells they want unless it would be stuff I don't want them to have access to or wouldn't make sense in our game (technology and radiation magic, time and dimension travelling magic, and some necromatic spells)

I actually had a player who had learned the steal attribute spells keep a low profile and successfully use the steal attribute spells several times, and actually managed to almost max out all his attributes at 20...

As for getting outsmarted by the players, or foiled by unexpected use of their spells... don't forget that there are methods of magical protection if they're sneaking into somewhere important. Maybe someone who regularly works on the other side of the door is also a powerful mage, or at least hired one to put magical protection in place, such as a pentagram to prevent magic from being used in that area or maybe they even permanently drained the mana from the area around the walls so that there is an actual "wall" of no mana... that would be a pretty expensive method of security, but depending on what they're trying to protect, it'd be worth it. If its no big deal, I'd just go ahead and let them teleport or shape earth to move the wall etc. Remember, that drains them of some energy, so they won't have as much energy to cast in a potentially upcoming fight.

One thing that I've found that can help deal with mages that are getting too good for their own good is that they've usually invested most of their points into IQ, magery and spells, so they're physically weaker than most fighter types. This makes them vulnerable to physical attacks, so if you need to you can overwhelm them with normal thugs. Magical "dodges" like iron arm, blink and phase can only be used once in a turn and takes up their spell use, so they pretty much have to rely on dodging and parrying, which they're a lot less likely to be good at. Give the bad guys a few good mages to counter balance the magical advantage and you can beat them anytime. Casting spells also takes time, so unless they're casting from a position of complete protection, they'll be acting slower than their non-magical adversaries. Even being outnumbered by merely 2 to 1 unimpressive thugs should give a group of mages a pretty hard time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Huge GURPS fan here. I have no special dislike of the skills based magic system, though I'm really starting to like the idea of a powers based magic system.

Waiting for thaumatology to get a look at other alternatives.

4e is cool.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I play in a 4th edition cinematic campaign based on a present-day Earth. So far everything goes power-wise.

The premise is that the characters run a paranormal investigation firm and are uncovering plots within the city we live in. We of course aren't equipped to handle the problems and action ensues.

I play a washed-up superhero with mediocre powers. I was abducted by aliens and had parts of my body replaced with alien crystals. I gained a lot of new abilities from the crystal as well as a chip on my shoulder the size of Everest.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting, I'm not familier with the "powers" magic concept... unless you're talking about using powers from a gurps "supers" type campaign for fantasy use. I've heard of that, so basically all your abilities are advantages instead of skills. Is that what you're talking about?

An advantage to that would be not having to track mana or energy usage when you used your abilities, but I find the point cost too prohibitive, and its more like your powers come from semi-divine origin than that you "learned" magic. I think you guys must be talking about something else, let me know what the basics of how the powers based magic works are.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast