Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: showthread_campaign in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591

Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: googlescript in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591
Knights of Bold
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
System Used: Homegrown Fantasy like DnD, Harn and Pendragon cod
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Desired # of Players: 6
Game Location Street Address: Iliff and Chambers
City: Aurora
State: Colorado
Zip Code / Postal Code: 80013
Game Times Frequency: Bi-Monthly
Days of Week: Saturday
Online Game Details Online Game?: No
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Google Map
Loading Map...

Thread: Knights of Bold

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Homegrown fantasy - Aurora

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    After watching the Game of Thrones on HBO I was struck with how similar it was to my fantasy game. Lots of knights, political intrigue, a little magic and some monsters. A realistic world with simple rules.

The world is pretty well developed already, but even though I have run half a dozen groups through various places, there are still places that have not yet seen PC's. For the most part the mysterious parts are still intact, waiting for adventurous characters to discover and take advantage of. Plots are still intact and conspiracies are still working their devious plans.

The land is vast. Vast plains that go on for months, giant mountains going all the way to the heaven, deserts that go on until death. Rivers to cross, others that will swallow any boat that is not expertly captained. Forests that have trees older than mankind, some are so haunted as to keep all but the most valiant shaking in their boots and cleaning their pants. Caves that could hold whole villages, nay, cities. Gorges, and caverns that would take days or even weeks to find a way across or around. The world is much like a NPC with attitude (try a storm sometimes).

Yes, there are elves and dragons, but so far, no PC has actually discovered them. Though PC's have known some dwarves, and I expect have seen more than enough orcs. There are some magic items in play, though PC's are unaware for the most part. Even a few people have found a way to make magic their friends, for the most part. Magic does have a down side. Remember, with great power comes great challenges. lol I made that last part up, for my game.

My largest inspiration was DnD 2nd edition. But playing Pendragon 1st edition really changed my opinion about what was fun in RPG's. The quick shift from DnD 3rd edition to 3.5 really upset me and encouraged me to come up with a more simple rule set, which I based on a d100 game called Star Frontiers. When I found Harn I found a vast and believable type of setting I could enjoy. One that I could use actual Western European history as a inspiration. So if you enjoy history, with some fantasy thrown in for fun (the people of those days believed in dragons and faeries), this might be your new love.

It has occurred to me I might like to switch to the Savage Worlds rules or the current Pendragon rules to accommodate future players.
    Last edited by mrken; 12-04-2011 at 01:48 PM. Reason: update my info

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The recent gaming convention has stirred interest in restarting a new campaign. Role playing really is a lot of fun for me and I have a story line that has grown over the years that is dieing to find out what happens. The miniatures I paint and the terrain I build have been for the game.

If you enjoy Western European history, loved the mini-series Game of Thrones, played Pendragon RPG and found it fun, or would just like to play a game that is more
    believable, let me know. I am dieing to run it.

This game I would like to find players who would show up when they say there will. If your spouse despises you role playing, don't ask to have a seat. If you have lots of drama in your life, please don't bring it here. Guess I am asking asking for adults, more mature, but one doesn't need to be old to be mature, just mature, whatever your age.
    Last edited by mrken; 09-17-2011 at 04:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I should've checked this out before I messaged you. Are you still looking for players? I'd be interested. What time on Saturday do you play?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A shout out to all you gamers in the Denver area. The Denver Gamers Association is opening up pre-registration for Genghis Con tomorrow Monday December 5th at http://www.denvergamers.org/ While I am not running any games, I will be there to play a few and maybe see if I can find some bargains at the auction. If you are registering let me know.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Genghis Con is in a few weeks and I am looking forward to resuming some RP. Been awhile since I have run something so I am thinking of getting the Savage Worlds rules to use in my game. Have also been looking into the rules used to play the game Game of Thrones, or perhaps the new Pendragon rules. Don't know yet but might run into someone at the con who has used some of these rules. Without that, it might be Savage Worlds simply because of the number of people who are using that rule set.

Having said that, there are some things I would like to get out front. To steer players toward or away form this game and my style of play. Please post your thoughts if you wish.

First and foremost, I am not the killer GM. It is not my duty to kill any or all of the players at any time. In my opinion it is way more fun to have the players enjoying themselves than watching them roll up new characters. That does not mean I will fudge on the dice to keep them alive when they do dangerous things. Hey, they are playing with bad guys and monsters and swinging swords all around the place. Someone might die, right?

Speaking of dieing, I leave hints for adventures all over the place. I really prefer to leave it up to the players to pick and chose the ones they wish to pursue. When I first started to play the game the DM would lead us through the dungeon by our nose. I really resented that, but the game was made up to be run like that. That is why they were all played underground where there was no deviation from the tracks the adventure designer laid down. Really got under my skin when the DM tried to do that above ground. So, I have designed a world to explore and find adventures in. It is the players job to pick and choose wisely. Just because you arrive in a town and hear about the dragon that lives nearby, don't mean you need to go offer yourselves up for an appetizer. Some things are better left alone or for another time, and "Run away!" is sometimes the wise tactic.

Don't make your character a killing machine. Max stats in the killing ways, mean minimum stats in the rest of your game. In the games I like to run there is more to the game than the killing. In fact, most of my game is away from the martial arts. What is your character going to do when you are at court and the Princess come up to you and wants to talk? The killing machine will fumble around and screw things up for sure, right? You want to be the one who is so ugly that no member of the opposite sex can look upon you without retching, or that every guy just has to remark as to just how ugly can one person get? Damn dude, you make me look handsome, or, no amount of ale will make you look good enough to go home with, or looks like a three sack night. Just saying.

As the GM it is my job to run all the NPC's and all the monsters, don't make me run your character too. Pay attention and be ready with your action when I call on you for your turn. If you are not ready, don't make the entire group sit around and wait as you go through your thinking process and ask for input as to what you should do with your turn. When this happens I just move on to the next person and their turn. You can take your turn when I come around next turn. Oh, if I should happen to miss your turn, it is perfectly fine to speak up and say something. Like hey, you missed me. I will apologist because I missed your turn and don't want to slight you, then you can take your turn. But please, don't speak up and then not be ready to go with your turn.

When I ask you to roll your dice, I need you to roll them and leave them on the table until I can read them. My eyes are not so sharp and I need a bit of time. Not that you would cheat, but that I need a bit of time. High contrast dice do help me see better, while those real cool black dice with the dark red ink are real difficult. And we don't roll hit dice and damage dice at the same time, they sometimes get mixed up. If you should be so unlucky as to roll your dice hard enough to fly off the table, we can come around to your action next turn, if you have found your dice. You may use a dice tower if you wish. In fact, I have a couple of cool ones.

As one who doesn't deal well with deliberate contention, I don't bother with the alignments or evil characters. Same thing goes for the character who is stand offish or rude or in conflict with other characters in the game. Find a reason to cooperate with the ones you are adventuring with or find another group to risk your characters life with. Anti social characters don't work out well in a social situation and we all know that pretty well. Create a character that is not anti social. Create one that loves to hang out with other people. Perhaps you could write in that your character knows or is related to another character or two.

Back stories are essential to my GM'ing style. Nothing better than having your characters back story used to drive forward the story line or a side plot.

Don't be killing NPC's for fun. Nothing sucks like the law throwing your characters evil bu++ in a gaol until they starve. If you are used to playing WoW or some such game, this will not be like it. You will not be given missions, find rooms full of magical armor and weapons, and gold that goes into a bank. Magic is rare and very powerful. You will not be walking around with 20 million gold pieces. And killing newb player characters does not keep your character alive longer. You do have to defend yourself though, which can get your blood pressure up.

There, I have listed most of my philosophies on running a game. The ones that are particular to my current game, I have omitted because I may be changing the rule system. Those particularities apply to my rule set and may not apply to which ever rules I end up using.

As a post script, I am finishing a round keep I have been working on. Should be finished before the con.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As I stated I would do, I bought Savage World to see if it would be a good match for my game. Not yet sure if it will fit in a good way, but I am not yet finished in my determination. The rules do seem rather simple, but not as simple as I think my rule set is. I also bought the Fantasy PDF supplement. Have yet delved into it more than just a cursory glance over.

Just in case, I also bought the Pendragon 5.1 rule set. Back in the day, I was quite heavily involved in the original version of Pendragon. It was what shaped my RPG interests most early on. That rule set would be my first choice to fall back on if I have to change rules, but it doesn't have the following SW has, especially here in the Savage frontier that is Denver metro.

It is also my intention to purchase the next version of the Game of Thrones rules. The new version comes out early April it looks like. Already purchased some of the supplements. The world has already hooked me. I have watched the series three times, going on four. The books have now started to be reabsorbed as I love the story.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am fairly new to the area, and am interested in this game. Are you still looking for players?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Are you looking for a Game of Thrones, or a Savage game?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am more interested in the Game of Thrones game. Or for any D&D 3.5/Pathfinder type game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Been reading the new Game of Throne rules book I got in the mail a couple of days ago. Might be awhile before I can process all the information. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Guess that means the world and all the adventures from my old game will go the way of the Dodo.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't been running this game for some time now, but have started to run Game of Thrones. GoT is a lot like my old game, but a lot more rules. We currently have seven players, but one never knows if all will stick. Keep us in mind, we play at the Crit Castle Saturdays about one or so. Sometimes we go late.