Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reputation System

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    If I have a choice in this matter (and I donít, itís not my forum) I would vote for no.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Barrok's tower has a reputation system that I like. If person a thinks person b's post is great/useful there's a button for "Thanks!" and increases person b's reputation, postitively. There is no button for something like "No Thanks!" or to negatively influence someone's reputation.

*shrug*
    There's nothing to fear except fear itself and, of course, the boogeyman.

Co-Organizer of NEPA D&D and Stroudsburg Geeks. Member of Stroudsburg Area Gaming Association.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    As to the methods of Homeland Security? They could not find their ass with both hands. They could not find said ass by borrowing hands from the entire airport. Security theater is what it is. Their so called methods are useless.
    having worked for them for a good number of years, and having listened carefully to what my coworkers were talking about, listened carefully to what the management was saying, successfully passed all the training thrown at me-we are talking several hundred separate certifications, had access to the security materials and briefings from various law enforcement agencies around the states and world, thought about the implications, participated in sessions where we poked holes in the system(s), also noting that we were a cat x test airport thus got a lot of the beta-testing...

...i can say with authority that the majority of the agents of my personal acquaintance (about a couple hundred) categorically refuse to fly if any other transportation option is available. while i cannot give the reasons (yes, i agreed to the blasted confidentiality bit-and i intend to keep said agreement so long as it is legal and lawful), i can state that the reasons why they do not want to fly are valid, and i share a similar opinion of them myself.

it is only fair that i mention that on the other side, a few of the rules in place actually have a valid and legit reason and are worth the hassle. for example, if they ask you to take off your shoes, just do it. better yet, take them off and send them through the xray before they ask you. and for your health's sake, bring extra socks....
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am sorry if this comes across pissy, I do not mean to be. But there is such a belligerent resistance to this idea that it is shooking how very few people are willing to put their heads together and try to think of good ways for making something work. It is far easier to strike a concept down than to focus some thought in to it and cleverly figure out ways around certain traps. If you are going to argue against the concept, the at least argue against the tangable concepts that have been brough forth, don't continue harping on how people will mudsling or discriminate; at least within my idea, I have already dealt away with that issue.
    Go to WOTC forums, post there a few thousand times for a year. Come back and see if you have the same opinion...and share with us the few hundred names on your ignore list, most of which are sockpuppets of the same guy you "so tastefully and artfully rated against."

The internet lack of interpersonal responsibility brings out the worst in people.

In person, at groups with other DMs, I have seen Guy X slammed because Guy Y hit on Girl Z, and X was semi interested. SO X is gone, because in between sessions, people told the DM he was a rampant cheater...only because Y was a witness talked up to him and his buds, and played them.

Stuff like that, and the internet only makes it easier. I'm not saying this would happen here, it could without a rating system. But I've seen so many rating systems gamed or player or manipulated, that it's not worth the info it purports to give by analysis.

I agree, don't get me wrong, okay, it is easier to shoot an idea down than it is to find key ideas to make it work. But work, at what cost in time and effort? Who wants to be the pariah, because someone is a bully, or manipulator of the ratings?

Even been on a Forums board that was hacked and infiltrated to destroy it?

The "Good Idea" that this kind of a system needs is to first remove the personal distance, and anonymity that the Internet give it, as Step one.

Some person that has it in for you, can make multiple accounts, that all say "Jesus god, don't game with Jaime! I mean, I don't want him in my house, after he (insert disgusting thing here)" Plus sockpuppets to back that up.

And you claim, "Yeah, I don't know these people." Are people gonna take the risk? Or are you lying? Or does it start a forum war that destroys the board because The Tangled Web wants to dominate the people who play online via forums (for whatever reason)?

I've seen this stuff, live and in person.

95% of the people are cool. 5% create 95% of the problems. And once it gets going, it's often too late to stop without wiping the game group / the forums / whatever.

Your point is valid, just a bit idealistic, I think.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Relax people...

Gosh, did I speak a sin? Look Eternon, first of all, you've won! I was just told yesterday, kindly I will add, that the idea would not happen. I am fine with it, as I did note, I was just simply not aware before hand. Second of all, I said, for the eleventh hundreth time, that there would not be any room for commentaries in what I am proposing, which is what everyone is so afraid of. If you read what I wrote, I have a hard time seeing how answering the likely questions (that should be considered thoughtfully) on the scale I am suggesting would DAMN anyone from any person's home! READ PEOPLE. Or perhaps it is simply my inability to explain it correctly; on someone's end, the message is failing terribly.

The rubric is meant to ask generic questions to the determine the style of play of a person as it being compatible with yours, thereby helping you avoid awkward moments of INCOMPATIBILITY (much like the one that is taking place by me expressing a positive outlook for the system). FOR EXAMPLE, the 75% action (I think that is the word chosen) 25% role-playing... it gives me a heads-up about what this person likes. Nice. HOWEVER, having an even more specific experience-print about that person's style of play, one in which he/she can use to assess him/herself, would be helpful. I think.

Seriously, no need for sarcastic jabs! And enough with the fear of the big bad cirticism! Regardless, Jaime, aka Eltomate, is overruled, so there is nothing of which to be afraid. My mistake was not having read the date of the last post! The thread was relatively shut, and as, perhaps, a bit of advise, to avoid what are obviously sensitive issues in this website, perhaps the thread should be taken down. No insult here to the administrator, or anyone for that matter, just a sincere... comment. I hope this was "tastefully and artfully" said.

-Jaime
    Last edited by eltomate; 02-03-2009 at 08:54 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by eltomate View Post
    The thread was relatively shut, and as, perhaps, a bit of advise, to avoid what are obviously sensitive issues in this website, perhaps the thread should be taken down. No insult here to the administrator, or anyone for that matter, just a sincere... comment. I hope this was "tastefully and artfully" said.

I agree that there is no need to beat a dead horse. Thank you for your input, nonetheless.

Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123