Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Gary Gygax Passed Away Today

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Gary Gygax Passed Away Today

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Last edited by Farcaster; 03-04-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Removed AP article for copyright reasons.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    La roi mort.

One cannot question the influence that he had on the hobby. Hell he and Arnson invented it.

A good deal of my life has been devoted to D&D. He will be missed, even if I didn't like him.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A sad day for the RPG gamers that are enjoying the work that he did to help start the whole ball rolling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He freed us from the fetters of modern and mundane life.

Thanks Gary, you'll be sorely missed

Downloads
    Uploads
    funny, the creator of the game passed away just after the release of a version of his game he wouldn't even recognize...

RIP Gary, and send me a sign if St. Peter plays a assassin in your new campaign... I just think that'd be funny...

Downloads
    Uploads
    All I have to say is thanks a lot, Gary Gygax. I met a lot of friends through that game you made.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rest in Peace...
    on March 4 (GM's Day)
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    When I was a little boy, I read the 1st edition DMG until it suffered complete annhiliation. I pushed that book to the very limits of binding and paper integrity. I studied it like a holy text.

I completely failed to understand it. It took actually going to Origins when it came to Dallas in 1984 for me to really grok roleplaying.

But since then this has been my premier hobby. This has been something that has greatly changed the arc of my life. It has enriched my days and broadened my horizons. And I know who to thank.

Rest in peace, Mr. Gygax.

Another Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    The man helped create a game that has been played by millions and millions of people all over the world. I spoke with a guy who served the US Army, was stationed all over the globe, and he always brought his dice with him. Said he had played in 4 countries in Europe, Japan, even Africa once.He had copies of the rule books in a 1/2 dozen languages he had collected over his career. Pretty amazing for a "Geek" game to span the globe like that.

Thanks for all of the fun, friends, and memories Mr. Gygax. You will be missed.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by upidstay View Post
    The man helped create a game that has been played by millions and millions of people all over the world. I spoke with a guy who served the US Army, was stationed all over the globe, and he always brought his dice with him. Said he had played in 4 countries in Europe, Japan, even Africa once.He had copies of the rule books in a 1/2 dozen languages he had collected over his career. Pretty amazing for a "Geek" game to span the globe like that.

Yup, I was in the Marine Corps and played on 3 different continents, 8 countries, and 4 ships.
    Through DnD I meet a lot of good friends and people.
    Bill
    The Yeti aka Magnus the Archmage
    ~"Henry Bowman lives within each and everyone of us, and it's time to start acting like it. "
    A Story Hour set in Valus by Funeris
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=97346
    My SH Set in Valus 20yrs after Funeris's Valus SH
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=133211
    Bryon_Soulweaver - "Stupid nobles, hope Mangus blasts them (and I woundn't doubt if he could)."
    Funeris's 2nd SH(he isDM)
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=130328

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheYeti1775 View Post
    Yup, I was in the Marine Corps and played on 3 different continents, 8 countries, and 4 ships.
    Through DnD I meet a lot of good friends and people.

Semper Fi, TheYeti. I first learned to play in the Persian Gulf while there with the 2nd Marine Division. How ironic that it would be the AD&D 2nd Edition that we were using. I've been playing his game on and off since.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by upidstay View Post

I have been in the Army for 9 years and have always brought my books with me. I was deployed in Kosovo when 3.0 came out and played for about an hour 2-3 times a week. Brought my books with me both times I went to Iraq, they didn't see much use unless there was a sandstorm and we got stuck inside. Still have sand in the bindings of my DMG, my poor PH didn't survive the second trip as it was stolen by Ali Baba (I still suspect one of my roommates did it). This game has let me keep my head when the stress got bad or the boredom of tower guard hit.

Many thanks to Gary for a great game!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Did anyone see The Colbert Report a few days ago? I didn't get to see it, but apparantely he mentioned it.

Jim, on Mycathatesyou.com (who does the Bad Cats Calendars) wrote this:http://www.mycathatesyou.com/news/latest
    There's nothing to fear except fear itself and, of course, the boogeyman.

Co-Organizer of NEPA D&D and Stroudsburg Geeks. Member of Stroudsburg Area Gaming Association.