Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: City Maps wanted

Downloads
    Uploads

City Maps wanted

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Does anybody have to share, or know of any websites, any maps of towns and cities to download and print? Starting a new campaign, and just don't have the time to come up with my own. Nor do I have the time or money to get a map generator program for my PC. Looking for the cheap, easy way---just use somebody elses!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by upidstay View Post
    Does anybody have to share, or know of any websites, any maps of towns and cities to download and print? Starting a new campaign, and just don't have the time to come up with my own. Nor do I have the time or money to get a map generator program for my PC. Looking for the cheap, easy way---just use somebody elses!!
    Screen shots of the google maps view of the core of old Eorupean cities? Example, London

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of our members, ZombieNirvana, is a photoshop master who does map art for popular game companies as a freelancer. He has but put out a book of his own containing a nice sampling of city maps ready for you to add marker details to. The book is cheap and downloadable. Check out his site for the details, www.zombienirvana.com

Downloads
    Uploads
    Free city maps can be found by downloading the player's guides from Pathfinder series at Paizo.

The Curse of the Crimson Throne contains a map of the city of Korvosa.
    http://paizo.com/download/pathfinder/PZO9000-2E.zip

The Rise of the Runelords contains a map of the village of Sandpoint.
    http://paizo.com/download/pathfinder...ayersGuide.zip

Both are free and very professionally done. I'll warn you, though, if you don't want to buy Pathfinder, I might stay away. Reading the player's guides is designed to make you want to read more.

This site has a dozen fantasy city maps. Not quite as cool as Paizo's.

http://www.legolas.org/gallery/fantasycities/album22/

I'm sure you could find more with google and 'fantasy city maps'. Hardcore homebrewers love to post their city maps.

And of course, if you want the best city map ever made -- go to Fiery Dragon and see if they have any of the 31"x47" vinyl Ptolus maps left. That's not free though...

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    www.irony.com/webtools.html and www.irony.com/othertools.html have links to a variety of GM tools including village and city generators.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I just got on Google maps - and found a town on the Mississippi - Hannibal, Missouri.

I copied the map to Paint, and saved it as "Hannibal.jpg" so you can see what I started with.

I cleaned most of the side-roads off, as well as the road-signs, and saved it as "HanniClean.jpg"

Then I made a couple changes for farms and added a barge route for a ferry as well as a market area. I also added a couple buildings that may be important, and quickly changed the scale to double what it was.. This one is "HanniFin.jpg"

It took almost 20 minutes, and the only programs I used were Firefox (to get to the internet), and MicroSoft Paint.

My usual tactic is to take a map (like the Hannibal original) and copy the river and roads by hand (tracing is the way to go!), then TURN the thing 90 degrees to change the look of the location (I've used New York City turned around and nobody recognized it!). Then I add names and buildings - and voila!! Instant village/city! By hand, it takes about an hour to get a MUCH better looking map than Hannibal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hannibal.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	80   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HanClean.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	81   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HanFini.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	82  

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like the spirit of your Do It Yourself advice, like this one and the one about the homemade whiteboard table... There should be a thread to gather together all the ideas of this type, that would be useful !
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What Boulet says is so true. Just because I have a thousand bookmarks does not mean I know what is on all of them, nor that I could anything, or even remember what is on any of them.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have dowloaded every map-of-the-week by wotc since it's beginning. about 400mb worth. i have a kdx server that it can be downloaded from. =D let me know if anyone is interested.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive