Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Character Help

Downloads
    Uploads

Character Help

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Wow. Haven't posted in a while. So here goes. Dwindled down to a few posts now! lol

I have a multi-class character that is 10th level (gestalted) in Fighter and Order of the Bow Initiate. The bow class is now maxed out. So I want to add another class that will "continue" the gestalt.

The campaign has the premise that our characters are trying to save the world, of course. And in this journey we are unraveling several prophecies. Several involved finding out which prophecies directly regard individual characters.

My character is basically the machine gun of the group by the stats. However we've basically nailed down that he is forsaken by the gods and even time (or the continuity of it).

This character is lost to himself as well. A father who is dead and a mother who abandoned father and son when the good times ran out. He's a drifter who spent his youth in debtors prison. (due to his father's debts). He's got no one but his word & bow.

To my assessment, it's best for my character to leave as little a foot print on the world as possible. It seems he is basically invisible to gods and many god like beings and forces due to the fact that he has no discernible history.

So, I'm struggling to come up with some good ideas on a third class that would let him be less "visible" to the rest of the world.

Assassin isn't quite right, because he's lawful-neutral and wouldn't be a for-hire assassin. Ranger is close, but being a druid-like, nature lover isn't quite right either.

The DM and I will throw some emails back and fort before the next game to come up with some stuff, but I am open to some ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to argue for a moment...

Rangers don't necessarily have to be druid-like and tree-huggers. He could be a hunter, like a bounty hunter, and uses the Ranger class to that end. Lawful neutral means that he believes in laws - even if they are only his laws.

I'd go for Ranger.

If that doesn't work, I would go for Rogue. He can stealth into anywhere there may be record of his existence and thief them away in the dark of night. He can start collecting information, because we all know that all knowledge is power.

Oh, and to screw with him, as a DM, I'd start having demons and devils start tempting him, trying to lure him to follow their evil ways. Hey, that's what happens when a PC turns his back on the gods and the gods turn their backs on the PC.

(insert evil laugh here!!)

Downloads
    Uploads
    UA presents an Urban Ranger variant.

A good side-by-side comparison of base classes and their variants can be found here: http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/

(Then, click on Basic Classes.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I suggest the scout class from Complete Warrior (Adventurer?). The skirmish dice will stack with the precision dice of the OotB class.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Rouge/scout are good choices. Rouge sneak attacks are pretty nice when you have a good hide skill, and stack well with the Order of the Bow Initiate attack bonus. Add to that the hide skill ranks, you'll be able to use sneak/Order attacks more often.

You might want to pick up a level in Shadowdancer once you get your hide ranks up - They get a hide in plain sight ability at 1st level which allows you to hide even if you're observed (as long as you are near shadows).

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Malruhn View Post
    Just to argue for a moment...

Rangers don't necessarily have to be druid-like and tree-huggers. He could be a hunter, like a bounty hunter, and uses the Ranger class to that end. Lawful neutral means that he believes in laws - even if they are only his laws.
    Good point. And I leaned that way after looking at the Assassin prestige, mainly because it is broader in skill set. And I can add some tracking ability that isn't just in the Skills.

If that doesn't work, I would go for Rogue. He can stealth into anywhere there may be record of his existence and thief them away in the dark of night. He can start collecting information, because we all know that all knowledge is power.
    (Notice the hand smacking forehead sound.) I totally ignored Rogue class in it's own right, maybe because I was lured by the prestige classes at first.

Oh, and to screw with him, as a DM, I'd start having demons and devils start tempting him, trying to lure him to follow their evil ways. Hey, that's what happens when a PC turns his back on the gods and the gods turn their backs on the PC. (insert evil laugh here!!)
    Well, we were in the shadow realm for part of a session and a devil was the only god-like being who did notice him. Though the larger demons and such completely ignored him. lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Arcanist View Post
    I suggest the scout class from Complete Warrior (Adventurer?). The skirmish dice will stack with the precision dice of the OotB class.
    I've never really played with the skirmish dice rules. When you say precision dice, what do you mean?

I downloaded some info on the scout class off the net. But I don't have the "complete" books. I might see if my DM has them to investigate further.

I have time as I didn't quite level-up this last session.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
    I've never really played with the skirmish dice rules. When you say precision dice, what do you mean?

I downloaded some info on the scout class off the net. But I don't have the "complete" books. I might see if my DM has them to investigate further.

I have time as I didn't quite level-up this last session.
    "Precision" based damage is usually class-based extra damage that depends on hitting the right spot. Its shorthand for "anything immune to crits is immune to this" type damage.
    Contact me via PM -- email from this site isn't working for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    Rouge/scout are good choices. Rouge sneak attacks are pretty nice when you have a good hide skill, and stack well with the Order of the Bow Initiate attack bonus. Add to that the hide skill ranks, you'll be able to use sneak/Order attacks more often.

You might want to pick up a level in Shadowdancer once you get your hide ranks up - They get a hide in plain sight ability at 1st level which allows you to hide even if you're observed (as long as you are near shadows).
    Actually, the Shadwodancer is a great idea. Another character in my class uses Shadow Magic and has a lot of the same techniques. So it might fit in that she could teach my character some tricks. (For some reason I thought this class was restricted to Rogues.) But he only needs some ranks in Hide and Dance and I meet all the reqs. So that would easily happen with his next level up. Now it's up to the DM to okay it.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Scout class gives you everything a rogue can except Open Lock. You get some awesome abilities with bonus feats every couple of levels. The Battle Fortitude ability gives bonuses to AC and saves every couple of levels which never hurts.

The OotB class has Ranged Precision dice adding +1d8 +1d8/3 class levels damage. Its like Sneak Attack and Skirmish dice but you don't need to have flat-footed opponents. It has the same rules as Skirmish dice.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    may i suggest the "athar"? from the planar handbook, page 43.

here is an excerpt of the description of the class:

THE ATHAR
    The “gods” are liars, every single one of them—liars and
    frauds. They aren’t deities. They’re mortals—extremely
    powerful mortals, to be sure, but nothing more. They
    are given to petty emotions, they require sustenance
    in the form of prayers and the belief of their followers,
    and, when denied that, they die. Think about it: If the
    deities really are the source of all creation, why is it
    that many clerics can cast divine magic without devot-
    ing themselves to any deity? There may indeed be an
    omnipotent entity (or collection of entities) respon-
    sible for making and tending reality, but if so, that
    power must be completely incomprehensible to the
    minds of mere mortals. Members of the organization
    known as the Athar refer to this theoretical true god
    as “the Great Unknown.”
    The Athar are sometimes called “defiers” or “the
    lost” because their beliefs bring them into direct
    philosophical (and occasionally physical) conflict
    with just about every religion ever established
    in the multiverse. They try to convince worship-
    ers of various deities that they are being duped
    by a cosmic confidence scam. The Athar rarely
    take their accusations to the “gods” themselves.
    After all, even if they are only mortals playing at
    divinity, they are extraordinarily powerful mortals
    playing at divinity, and it is unwise to incur their
    wrath unnecessarily.
    they get a number of resistances and other bonuses against all things "divine", good or evil. might fit your guy's motif.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, I just talked with my DM and he likes the Shadowdancer with some swapping out of magic for some other capabilities.

Thanks for the info on the Athar. It doesn't really fit my character but I will tuck that bit away for the future.

Downloads
    Uploads
    How about an Arcane Archer prestige class. Can you cast arcane spells? I'm guessing you meet all of the requirements for this prestige class. Would seriously augment your existing archer abilities.