Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Pagan to take over Room 308

Downloads
    Uploads

Pagan to take over Room 308

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by yog-sothoth.com View Post
    There have been recent concerns in the forums over the future of Room 308 Graphics & Publishing since Blair Reynolds' web site went offline a little while before Christmas.

A post earlier today by Blair (NyarlathotepsScribe) has provided an update, indicating that Pagan Publishing will be taking over the publication of Room 308's planned game materials (The Mysteries of Mesoamerica , The Mysteries of the Old West) so that BR can concentrate on production of his Black Sands graphic novel series.

This change also marks the end of Room 308's involvement in game publishing, with Reynolds' stating he's:

"...grown increasingly disenchanted and frustrated (again) with the games industry’s orthodoxy, mediocrity, vapidity and apathy. Especially where Lovecraft and roleplaying are concerned, I feel strongly that too many bubbly, juvenile, tender-hearted milksops have infested the genre...

The general population of devotees among "Lovecraftian circles" suffers from a fairy tale misconception of the Mythos, one that I believe would turn poor Howard in his grave if he could see the candy-ass travesty that his grand universe has become. The mainstream Mythos is a dumbed-down and diluted, popularized and trivialized, emasculated cartoon, wholly separate from the dark, unutterable, obscene and blood-soaked savagery that is the true essence of the Mythos, and my contempt for this fashionable, New Age, Hello Kitty Lovecraft is well known.

So no more games."
    Anyone know more about this?
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    No, unfortunately. I will look around though.

and my contempt for this fashionable, New Age, Hello Kitty Lovecraft is well known.
    LOL
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can't say I don't agree more with him.

I might be new to the genre of pen and paper rpgs, but when talking Lovecraftian literature with peers they seem to avoid the insanity and brutality and overall horror of each story.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Although I have read a few different editions of the game, I have never been able to collect enough Lovecraft or horror fans together for a game of Call of Cthulu.

But this is sad news (if true), as the game has always been one of my favourites (in concept more so than practice unfortunately).

Downloads
    Uploads
    That is sad I have yet to even play it!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I hate it when something good falls, gets twisted, and turns into a hello kitty island adventure spin off.

anyone interested in playing some CoC online? real CoC, not hello kitty

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm puzzled. Call of Cthulhu isn't going away. Just a publisher of what seems to be a single module that bailed almost two years ago (talk about thread necromancy ).

Hell, if you like Hello Kthulhu then that's what you play. We're not a bunch of cultists trying to bring the great one back.

Someone's panties are a size or two too small.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsbagley View Post
    Although I have read a few different editions of the game, I have never been able to collect enough Lovecraft or horror fans together for a game of Call of Cthulu.
    I concur with michaelsbagley as far as getting Lovecraft fans to play. What I have been able to do is get horror fans to play. It is very easy to use some of the old slasher movies as settings for Cthulu games. So few people have ever read enough Lovecraft to make the mythos portion of the game really interactive. Michael Myers as the nemesis for the evening makes for a much better game than Hastur or Wendigo. Camp Crystal Lake is easier for players to visualize than mountains and caverns in Antarctica.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd be willing to play in a CoC game online. I can't ever get on set up around here, and I would be no good at running it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know what you mean

I have read the Dunwich Horror and Others and have the quickstart rules but I cannot find anyone to play with me in my area... I hate living in a rural city.... no one is interested in anything but hunting, cars, and pc games!

Downloads
    Uploads
    online....online...online..*the word is spoken low, and seems to blend into a deep chant that rumbles your chest. The occult leader raises his hands before the giant monitor as the chanting reaches a crescendo*