Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: "...with a little help from my friends..."

Downloads
    Uploads

"...with a little help from my friends..."

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I do a little wood working as a hobby. Mostly small things, lately just 'nude furniture' type CD and DVD racks. However, I recently found an a job site some large pieces of scrap lumber measureing about 20" by 14" and 3.25" thick.

I am turning this two item into small benches fit for children. I was going to make the top a base relief but the grain is not suitible. I have a friend that is making a drawing of a dragon for one piece, which I intend to make as an inlay.

What I need help with is the sides of each bench. I have access to several reference books that detail RUNIC signs and alphabets. There for will some one please supply me with a couple of nice phrases that I can put on the sides of each bench.

Remember, these benches are for children, keep that in mind when supmitting suggestions.

Post them here or send me an e-mail.

Thanx, everyone.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We've seen this saying before. "Beware of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup." Not sure of what age range of children you are looking at.

My wife is the crafty one. I take care of the financial part of the biz.

Downloads
    Uploads
    does it have to be about dragons?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "He who has imagination without learning has wings but no feet." -- Unknown

"When one is willing and eager, the gods join in." --Aeschylus

"Words are plentiful, but deeds are precious." -- Lech Walesa

"Heros come along when you need them." -- Ronald Steel

"An effort made for the happiness of others lifts us above ourselves." -- Lydia M. Child

"If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come." --Chinese Proverb

The high minded man must care more for the truth than for what people think. --Aristotle

Messages from the Journey of Life

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "no matter where you go, there you are" --buckaroo bonzai

"creation is creating in motion" --nijineko
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wheeoo, such a nice set of responces. Thanks guys and gals. And no, it doesn't have to be about dragons.

The two benches will only be about 12 inches tall, so I'm targeting small children, but at least old enough to appreciate the art work.
    Only the first bench will have a dragon inlaid on it. The second bench, we have not decided what will be the subject of the art.

By the way, the drawing of the dragon is signed and made specificly for this bench, so it sill take a little work to get it done correctly to match the drawing. Thank God the runes on the side will be easier.
    Sure, Life IS like a bowl of cherries, but how SWEET they are depends on how much crap your willing to take to fertalize your DREAMS. Michael L. Cross

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    oooh. runes? i could help with kanji, if that's desired.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post

"Words are plentiful, but deeds are precious." -- Lech Walesa
    He.he.hee. Well den what do me say about the number one winner of all time posts for the board on 'dis here www.penandpaper.com site?

On the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    "Heros come along when you need them." -- Ronald Steel
    Messages from the Journey of Life
    Does that mean we shouldn't try to teach people to be heroes or aspire to me them for others?

-Good luck with the naked furniture spotlight. Be ambiguous though, that's my two cents.

>Humming song lyrics...

"Oh what would you do if I sung of key...would you get up and walk out on me?
    Chorus: I get by with a little help from my friends. I get Bleep with a little help from my friends...."

Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    oooh. runes? i could help with kanji, if that's desired.

Who would a thunk it!?

And den the little children will decipher the Kanji or not and declare the man either a Japanese Hooligan or a Warlok. Don't go making those offers. Who couldn't help with Kanji. Just link him to some vector grahpics, svg files he can download off wikicommons and leave the man alone.

Kanji huh. Kids learn that stuff...they learn it because they play video games man, you don't want them decoding weird gibberish and deciding you curse them out.
    Last edited by Farcaster; 03-02-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Please use multi-quote

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Kwiat View Post
    Does that mean we shouldn't try to teach people to be heroes or aspire to me them for others?
    Sometimes the hero is you.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a hero is someone who happened to be there when it happened, and just did what they could. sometimes they even live afterwards.

and it's been a while, but i can still read kanji. i speak japanese fluently, you know. ^^ and for what i can't remember, that's what a jiten (kanji dictionary) is for. =D

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, fellas, thanks for the various ideas on what to inscrip on the bench.

The first one will have a saying I finally made up myself (with a little help from my friends, of course).

The quote will be: "Sit here, read aloud, and become someone." Simplified, it might translate as: Sit, Read, Inspire. Of course, that would be much like the quote attributed to Ceaser, "I came, Isaw, I conquered." You get the idea.
    I have yet to decided if I will use Finn or Nord as the base runes for the quote. Sorry, I am not sure I want Kanji, but thanks for the offer. I am not comfortable useing a language I can't read myself.

But keep the offers and ideas coming, as there will be a second bench. And any idea I acctually use will be credited to the proper author.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    heheh. well, i would use runes, but i only knew a couple, and i'm not sure that what i knew was based on an actual language. i don't think that tolkien alphabets count. ^^ so that's three runic alphabets that i can't use for you. ^^ plus the kanji. i could even scan you the pages from the japanese-english jiten that i have so that you aren't just taking my word for it. =D options, options. but no hard feelings if you don't use them.

you will post pictures here of the finished work(s), yes?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahem, Yes, I do plan to post pictures of the finished bench(s) when the time comes. The first one still has a lot of sanding to do just to get the laminate to stay properly. I have had a request already from another site I write on regularly for photos, so, they will come.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds pretty cool. I can't wait to see.
    Note: The maximum size of your custom image is really freaking small!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, sad news for the naught. It seems my little artist friend used his boss's gas card for his personal vehical. Got fired. Moved back to Fort Worth and changed phone numbers. No cantact. Still had the drawing(incompleted of course).

Looking for another artist now, probably will NOT try another 'tatto artist', at least not without a better portfolio.