Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Can I have a Sticky on Best Practices on How to Use This Board?
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I have a Sticky on Best Practices on How to Use This Board?

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I have a Sticky on Best Practices on How to Use This Board?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Look, first I recognize that a Sticky on Best Practices on how to use this Board has probably been done ad-nauseum.

Fine Mea Culpa. No flames thank you m'am just redirect me and I gone.

<Now for some Sarcasm>

And Yes I am sure this is using Unix/Open Source/ MySql/ PHP under some sort of LAMP archecture running on razor servers in some warehouse with air-conditioning running right next to MySpace servers that are not running 1/1000th as good as this.

I freakin hate MySpace, FaceBook and the reast simply because it won't get me what I want. A community I want and people that want to talk about certain things I like.

As I am an old man, 34, and played with bulletin boards when I was Kid not doubt I am simply hopelessly confused. I am just like my Dad now, he goes to the 'icebox' meaning the refrigerator looking for icecubes not in the freezer which has the icecubes and is part of the whole refrigerator apparatus.

<End Sarcasm>

Have community has inspeak. I speak roleplaying though so please lets have a sticky so I can find people I want.

All that Sarcasm is for people I do not want to interview in person for games or creating a game anyway.

See ya,

Jonathan S. Kwiat

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, Johnathan, join the site and enter your information honestly. Look in the player registry and campaign invitations to find local games and players. Join the discussions on the boards if you like. Check back regularly for new games and players.

There is no trick to it. Past that, I am not sure what you want from that post. If 34 is old, myself and many others around here are ancient. I didn't use a computer until I was in my 20's, didn't get online until 2000, and have never used any of the 'kid' sites. Does that help you at all?
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I read words but didn't understand anything. What is this thread about ?
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads

That's Exactly What I wanted to Know

My sarcasm is really because I feel like a fool using some of this internet social networking software.

I just got home Saturday for my friends that I made during my two year game. You know what my former DM of that game was talking about, among other things?

How much he loves Role-Playing games how he wants to start a new game when version 4 comes out of D&D and...

how much a newlywed he still is.

I need to help him out, if the game he starts is to continue.

Here is the place to start that. To start my own game in earnest and also to help him find players.

He really hates computers...

Be Well,

Jonathan S. Kwiat

Downloads
    Uploads
    I need advice how how to use this board properly.

I need to know how to find players in my community that I can meet face to face.

I need to learn how to use Outlook Email Client so I can screen out people that are just not relevant to me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Kwiat View Post
    I need to learn how to use Outlook Email Client so I can screen out people that are just not relevant to me.
    You already lost me on this one. If you're weary of spammers and other obnoxious emails you have many options to toy with. It starts here :

One of them is to refuse incoming emails from other members, so you can limit interactions to the forum only Private Messages.

It looks like you should start a thread in the sub forum : Campaign Invitation. People will ask details about the campaign and you guys will be able to have an idea of the potetial candidates. Have fun !
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For finding players the Player Registry is an invaluable tool and for recruiting players as a DM the Campaign Invitations forum is perfect. Please join us in on any of the various topics being discussed in the forums. For best results taking the initiative to contact players in your area should greatly increase your chances of finding others to game with. Many players are in groups that have openings but since they aren't the GM they don't go out of their way to recruit new players for the game.

To access the Player Registry you need to click on the link provided in this websites toolbar (as seen below). Click on it and select the option that best suits your needs:

Find Players: This will allow you to search this websites database of players. These players may or may not be what you are looking for. Unfortunately there are no advanced features that allow you to define, down to the last detail, what you are looking for in a player. I don't think such a search would be that useful. Many players make their profile the day they join and don't come back to the website. They merely register so they can be found by future people who are looking for players. This being the case their profile can be outdated and may not accurately portray what they are currently interested in playing.

I recommend using this option and contacting every single person that is within the distance you are willing to travel. If you plan on hosting a game of your own I would not pay attention to the "distance willing to travel" in other players profiles. Again this information may not be accurate any longer and they may be willing to travel the distance to play with you.

Find Games: Game Masters can use this website to advertise games they are currently playing or games they will be starting soon. Click on this link to browse through all of the available games in your area.

Online Games: Game Masters who host games online can also advertise on this website. This is just like the Find Games section but is limited to games that are only hosted online.

This sums up finding players and games using this website. If you have any questions on how to use the forum or any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask them. I will do my best to answer them with images and plenty of details

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    You already lost me on this one. If you're weary of spammers and other obnoxious emails you have many options to toy with. It starts here :

One of them is to refuse incoming emails from other members, so you can limit interactions to the forum only Private Messages.

It looks like you should start a thread in the sub forum : Campaign Invitation. People will ask details about the campaign and you guys will be able to have an idea of the potetial candidates. Have fun !

Ummm....Actually you telling me I lost you with "Outlook Client" tells me how much an anal dweeb I was being with this site.

I use Microsoft Outlook as my Email Client on my Desktop to manage my email accounts and organize a lot of my life as well. Its just convient for me. But I could see that my settings were messing up the boards attempts to contact me.

I think I have fixed that.

I changed my default email contact for this board, and confirmed it as well as opening up my privacy options.

This Board is running sanely and not flooding me with all sorts of "updates."

Anyway thank you for the "You lost me..."

Be Well,

Jonathan

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    and as far as finding people goes... this site is about as close to eharmony for gamers as any we've seen around the net. =D we'll work with you, never fear!
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    and as far as finding people goes... this site is about as close to eharmony for gamers as any we've seen around the net. =D we'll work with you, never fear!
    Chuckle, I believe you.

Know why?

1) I found this board through that Mega Portal at WotC

2) I just tried Googling that tag line of you and found...

you or versions of you in the right places. (GRIN)

But no alas in NY.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    googling my tag line...? wow, i never thought of that. ^^ i'm going to have to try it now, just to see what comes up.

edit: interesting! ^^ of course, i imagine that most translator engines will choke on romanized japanese.... especially since it's not a japanese phrase in the first place. =D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah I tried it when you first joined up here. That is I tried numerous online translation websites. Nothing could do it

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes Googling the Equivalent of Random Numbers...

Well, yes you need to understand a little about how the search engine you are using works but...

Well, I figured you post things Nijineko. Posting at forums gets noticed by search engines generally and they TRY to index that stuff.

It can be a great cat and mouse game because the forum needs us to visit this place not see everything through Search Engine Frames like you often see pictures when you do Google Image Searches.

But. Well, when someone goes out of there way to use... I do not know what that stuff is. On some of that stuff that showed up you actually explain what you mean by what to me is gibberish.

It almost looked like Engrish or Japanese in English maybe mixed with Elf from the Tolkien board. Who knows? This question should only be of interest and discovered by search Engines through your cyberstalking significant others.

I hope for your sake if it happens they do not remain significant for much longer else you clue them in on what you are doing with your "spare" time.

You made yourself unique and associated yourself with a board.

Search Engines know about boards, dude or dudette.

I try to make myself easy to find these days. It will be easy enough to make myself harder to find via search engines should that become a pressing matter in my life.

Thankfully, although I have a professional life it does not involve pleasing people in ways that talking about D&D is going to matter.

Be Excellent to one another! ~Stupid Movie

Jonathan
    Last edited by Jonathan Kwiat; 03-02-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Kwiat View Post
    <b> But </b> Well, when someone goes
    HTML tags don't work here. The forum actually uses VB Code. For more information on what tags are supported read this

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    HTML tags don't work here. The forum actually uses VB Code. For more information on what tags are supported read this

I will, thanks. I am trying to post something here. I hope it will be amusing but I am running into technical difficulties that this tip addresses.

Please tell me you are amused when I post it, privately.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Alright, that was definitely something I needed to know about given the way I post.

Now do you know in response to this:

The ability to use vB Code is set on a forum-by-forum basis by the administrator, so you should check the forum rules when you post a new message.
    If I can code in hard returns via a find and replace using these "vB" codes?

I am using wordpad right now to store the post.

Be Well,

Jonathan

They let use PHP codes?

Are they insane?

>Turns out they don't people! Thank you. Sanity.

I vote that when this place stops running we all stop using PHP not even some weird WordPress Hybrid. -Word Press is Open Source Blogging software

Last edited by Jonathan Kwiat; 03-02-2008 at 08:47 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast