Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Greatest War Movies Of All Time? - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greatest War Movies Of All Time?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Not sure it really counts as a war movie, but Dr. Strangelove is up there on my list.

And even though it also probably doesn't count as a war movie, I really liked the style/directing of 300.

I liked the Braveheart battles due to their (seemingly) inventive and amusing tactics.

Downloads
    Uploads
    300 WAS TOO A WAR MOVIE! The writing style is one of the most inventive I've ever seen in a movie. The only other writing that has stood out so much for me is Lord Of The Rings. Although the movie couldn't touch the magic of the original word as it was written by the master himself. Still top notch for a movie though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Das Boot was pretty good.

Star Wars
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    Apocalypse Now for me, and yeah I'm probably some kind of hippie...
    Hippie

Seriously, that almost made it on my list, but I don't really consider it a war movie. It was more of a psychology experiment done in a war setting. Still an awesome piece of work.

Full Metal Jacket and Platoon were along the same lines for me, though to a lesser degree.

If I were to go into that type of film, ones that explore the mind of a soldier and how war effects them, I would also list First Blood. Sly Stallone aside, I think what the book and the story were really trying to tell, i.e. how vets were effected and treated after the war, was an important message that needed to be broadcasted in a high action Hollywoodland cash cow.
    Last edited by ruelk; 02-16-2008 at 09:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    Das Boot was pretty good.
    I second that. Very, Very Authentic. A classic.

Add to that list "Cross of Iron" and "Stalingrad" for other films showing the german perspective.

My list would have to include "A Bridge Too Far".

Best Sequence: 1st 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. Possibly the most harrowing piece of movie footage ever. And deservedly so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Of the Modern era... Black Hawk Down.

Best Sequence: Helicopter Attack in "Apocolypse Now"... I can hear the Wagner now..

Of the Ancient Era..

Troy

Best Sequence: Gladitator (1st 15 minutes...)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Alexander was pretty good. I can't get enough of that Greek man lovin. Just something so right about those man love scenes. Seriously

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I just stumbled into this thread

It seems that all my favorite movies have been already named, so I just add this one:

13th Warrior

I was suprised by Antonio Banderas in this one. I really liked how they portrayed how he learned their language. I thought that the scene where he was choosen to be the 13th Warrior was really cool.

I liked how all the warriors had different weapons and armor from various places over the ancient/old world.

My favorite was Buliwyf, although Herger the Joyous was an awsome character and portrayed really well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinnen Baeritt View Post
    I second that. Very, Very Authentic. A classic.

Best Sequence: 1st 15 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. Possibly the most harrowing piece of movie footage ever. And deservedly so.
    I completely agree. I always thought that if I had to compile a list of very visceral, real feelings of warfare on film I would pick:
    • The opening scene of Saving Private Ryan
    • The opening scene of Gladiator
    • The battle scene in The Patriot (particularly when the cannonball took out someone's leg)
    As for movies, I'm partial to Lawrence of Arabia (WW1) and All Quiet on the Western Front (WW1). I'm particularly fond of All Quiet because of the pathos of war as depicted in the novel and movie - and their usage of one of the lines of my favorite poem: Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori (Wilfred Owen).

Melefresh

Edited: Because the 13th Warrior is one of my favorite movies of all time (thanks Drohem for reminding me) - despite the flack I get for liking it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just remembered one I like a lot : Capitaine Conan. It should be available through your favorite online DVD provider. The setting is Bulgaria during the first world war. The dynamic is the internal political plot between officers and non-commissioned officers. The latter do their best to fight a dirty war and limit the death among their men, while officers try to wash their hands and protect their butts from judicial procedures. It talks also of the difficult task for a soldier to fit back in civilian life. All this is pretty much relevant in a modern context... The fact it's not about WWII or another of these wars that most perceive as just or necessary, sheds a different light too.
    Last edited by boulet; 02-21-2008 at 08:25 PM. Reason: added a comment
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I am not sure that this would fall into the war movie category, maybe more of a historical piece. I really like this movie:

The Duellists

It was made in 1977 and stars Keith Carradine and Harvey Keitel.

It is about a series of duels between two French officers of Napoleon's army throughout their lives.

The duel scenes are excellent; especially the saber duel on horseback.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075968/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just saw this again last night, and it's a really good historical film about the Boer War.

'Breaker' Morant

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080310/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ohhh... what about "Zulu"!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12