Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Greatest Dark Future Movies Of All Time? - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Dark Future Movies Of All Time?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Aren't you confused between Soylent Green and Logan's Run ? The latter is about a dystopia where people over 30 are killed for the "common good".

Waterworld wasn't that bad, I mean Dennis Hopper rocks man ! The biggest controversy was about the movie's budget wasn't it ?
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, I dug Logan's Run as well.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Beyond the horizon lies the secret to a new beginning.

The budget was $175 million in 1995. Huge number considering the only $80 million domestic pull. If it hadn't been for the eventual massive overseas profit of $176 million, it would have lost big.

There was also several very bad reviews and talk of believability issues. I thought it rocked.

I meant Logan's Run. The movie was great and lead to a TV series, if you remember. The world was in ruins but life continued. A dystopia where people over 30 are killed for the "common good" is a dark future in my book.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    A dystopia where people over 30 are killed for the "common good" is a dark future in my book.
    Same for me, same for me

About dystopias, I didn't care for Running Man but a similar type of story was developed in a previous movie Le Prix du Danger (didn't see it on any American catalog alas) and was quite spooky. The director was very biased in his vision of a society where reality shows go wrong but that's where the flavor of the movie comes from. Considering it was released in 1983 there was sth quite visionary about it.
    Last edited by boulet; 02-16-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: can't spell English right

Downloads
    Uploads
    hehe...Running Man. Now, there's a good supply of Arnie quotes

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll give my support to "BRAZIL" as one of my favorites.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/

I am not sure if it counts as "Post-Apocalyptic" but I really like '12 Monkeys'.

Last edited by Dimthar; 02-16-2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: adding
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    My oh my ! Brazil and 12 Monkeys of course !

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwalker View Post
    If you liked Johnny Mnemonic, try reading Neuromancer. (Hopefully they make a movie out of it one day.)

William Gibson wrote both of them. (Johnny Mnemonic was a short story that was adapted to a movie.)
    I just read Neuromancer last year... The part that stuck out in my mind was Molly saying "I loved this guy once, Johnny. He used to carry information around in his head" or something like that I don't remember exactly but it screamed Johnny Mnemonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    That was a cyberpunk movie I did like. Seems like you enjoy the more depressing settings
    Well my favorite Hollywood movie is Heat, and my favorite film is actually a short called More by Rick Osbourne I believe (could be a different Osbourne) It says more about the human condition in 6min than any 2 hour film. But your right, I don't like happy. I like sad/depressing films weather that be the setting or the story. Kinda funny because I'm a horribly happy person. I just look goth.
    Last edited by MortonStromgal; 02-17-2008 at 12:24 AM.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, I just saw I am Legend in the movie theater last night, which was the first movie in a long, long for my wife and I. I was suprised, it was really good, IMO.

It was a good re-tooling of the Omega Man. I really liked the Omega Man with Charleston Heston. You kind of have to filter the 60's taint, but once you do it's a good movie.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MortonStromgal View Post
    I just read Neuromancer last year... The part that stuck out in my mind was Molly saying "I loved this guy once, Johnny. He used to carry information around in his head" or something like that I don't remember exactly but it screamed Johnny Mnemonic.
    It's been a while since I've read any Gibson, but I think the Molly character is the same character in both books or something like that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Riftwalker View Post
    It's been a while since I've read any Gibson, but I think the Molly character is the same character in both books or something like that.
    She is.

I read his Pattern Recognition this summer, very good book indeed. It isn't hardcore cyberpunk, like his trilogy but I had an excellent time, like with all the books I read from Gibson.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wasn't a fan of I Am Legend. It was a decent movie but I've seen that scenario done far better.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good old Johnny was on Free On Demand... so of course I had to watch it again (my wife was thankful I waited for her to go to bed). I must say I think the movie is actually better and less campy today. Still terrible acting/dialog but what they were trying to do with 1995 technology (ok 93 & 94, because it came out in 95) was amazing. The hacking by symbol patterns is more relevant today than it was in 95. Heck Linux is even 3d on the desktop now.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Blade Runner was brilliant, like was said it the beginning of the thread. Although Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the book) was slaughtered to make it, the author Philip K. Dick also wrote Total Recall, A Scanner Darklyand Minority Report (all of which fit into this category but none of them are as good imo).
    Supernatural? What's so super about it, just cause you weren't expecting it to grow fangs and bite you in the ass?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    BladeRunner is the worst cyberpunk setting I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Such a society is truly sad. I would rather see the world fall to nuclear holocaust than live in such a place. My complaint is with the depressing setting though and not the movie itself. After seeing that, no other representation of Cyberpunk is as defining as BladeRunner o:
    The Bladerunner movie, to me, was okay but the book on which it was based is many orders of magnitude better. One of the main reasons for this (something that was lost in translation in the movie) is because the book has a very apparent undercurrent of humor that goes along with the tragedy. It is a humor that the reader is aware of but not the characters themselves which makes it more influential in the reading. Add to that the fact that the movie only really deals with half of the plot of the book and it's easy to see why the two are so divergent. There is a kind of socio-religious element that underscores the action in the book that is never even touched on in the movie.

Also, not sure if this fits in with the angle of "dark future" that you're looking for, but one of my favorite "dark sci-fi" movies is Dark City. Really neat movie which has me wanting to play the Don't Rest Your Head RPG.

I like a number of movies previously mentioned. Soylent Green, The Matrix, Road Warrior, 28 Days Later, etc. Haven't seen I Am Legend yet, but I want to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast