Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Of All Time?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    I concur! Anakin with a padawan is crazy non-sense! My guess is that it is something Chancellor Palpatine suggests the council do or forces the council to do. In Sidious's mind Anakin will form an unhealthy attachment like he does with everyone and everything and when his padawan is killed (since she isn't in EP III she must get killed) he probably somehow will blame the Jedi. Just my guess though!
    Not being an expert myself, but I disagree. I believe taking a Padawan Learner is part of the process of growing as a Jedi Knight. In Episode 1 they say there are always 2: A Master and an Apprentice. I would say they may even encourage their Knights to take students under their care.

For those with more knowledge in SW. It seems to me by the movies that one can be a "Padawan at the Temple" (Formal School) and a "Padawan with an specific Jedi Knight" (Home Schooled?), am I correct? or I got everything wrong?

-------

Well wikipedia seems to have the answers.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi
    Last edited by Dimthar; 05-11-2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Answer
    Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar View Post
    Not being an expert myself, but I disagree. I believe taking a Padawan Learner is part of the process of growing as a Jedi Knight. In Episode 1 they say there are always 2: A Master and an Apprentice. I would say they may even encourage their Knights to take students under their care.
    Jedi Knights are encouraged to take on the role of teacher and accept a padawan if they feel they are ready for the burden. The accepting of a padawan is a most serious matter as the master is responsible in all ways for the shaping of the apprentice. Thus if the master is ill-prepared or not at peace with themself when they attempt to teach their student, it is the student's progress and potential that suffers. Some knights never accept a padawan, feeling that they are not fit (or not interested) to teach.

In Anakin's case, he is arrogant, unpredictable, defiant and overly emotional. Even if Anakin felt himself ready to take a student, I can't see the Council or (especially) Obi-Wan approving of the idea. Not to mention that he was only very recently knighted and reluctantly so, out of a sense of desperation about the war. In the same way I won't let my son drive a car until I am comfortable that he can take the responsibility seriously, I don't see much chance of Anakin being seen as trustworthy enough to manage a student.

For those with more knowledge in SW. It seems to me by the movies that one can be a "Padawan at the Temple" (Formal School) and a "Padawan with an specific Jedi Knight" (Home Schooled?), am I correct? or I got everything wrong?
    The Jedi students at the temple are often simply refered to as the "younglings". If a Jedi selects one of them as a student, they then gain the title of "padawan". Some Jedi younglings are never selected to become padawans and such students, upon reaching a certain age, are sent to join the Jedi Service Corps, and become special scouts, healers, diplomats, and perform other various roles with their gifts throughout the galaxy.
    Last edited by Webhead; 05-11-2008 at 08:00 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads

From 1000 BBY to the destruction of the Jedi, the Jedi would discover infants strong in the Force and take them to the temple on Coruscant (possibly other temples) and as rumor has it, be trained by Master Yoda. Until they were old enough (10ish) and deemed adept enough to be accepted as a padawan. From my understanding, only the council had the authority to deem a Jedi Knight ready to accept a padawan and at that time the Jedi Knight would become a master or shortly thereafter.

Now, depending on when the new movie and new TV series is set, I believe Anakin was still a padawan up to about a year or so before the end of the Clone Wars or possibly after a year into the war.

I would HOPE that that is what transpires, Anakin is given the rank of Knight and a padawan to boot. Given that it seems he is on solo missions in the movie I think it is safe to say that he is a Knight by this time.

I was concerned that he was still a padawan and they were giving him a padawan of his own.

But the argument still stands. Nowhere along the line has he proven worthy enough to take on a padawan. However, he was made a Knight at Obi Wan's request, so it is quite possible that he could get a padawan.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    From my understanding, only the council had the authority to deem a Jedi Knight ready to accept a padawan and at that time the Jedi Knight would become a master or shortly thereafter.
    From Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn comments on Episode 1, it seems that they have the right to take anyone as their Padawan regardless of the Council approval.

I assume the Jedi Knight will at least be refered as Master by their own Padawan, other Knight's Padawan or a Youngling.

Also in Episode II it seems that a rule of Etiquette, Non-Jedi will refer to a Jedi Knight as "Master" (In Episode II, Amidala corrects someone by clarifying that Anakin is still a Padawan Learner).
    Saluti
    Carlos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn comments on Episode 1, it seems that they have the right to take anyone as their Padawan regardless of the Council approval.
    Correct. It would seem that a Jedi Knight is given final judgement on whether or not to accept a young Jedi as his padawan. The Council's blessing, while not strictly binding, nonetheless carries significant weight in the decision. Very few Jedi wish to openly defy the Council as they are considered to be the wisest and most attunded to the Will of the Force.

I assume the Jedi Knight will at least be refered as Master by their own Padawan, other Knight's Padawan or a Youngling.

Also in Episode II it seems that a rule of Etiquette, Non-Jedi will refer to a Jedi Knight as "Master" (In Episode II, Amidala corrects someone by clarifying that Anakin is still a Padawan Learner).
    Correct. A Jedi does not have to carry the "rank" of Jedi Master to be referred to as Master by his/her student or other Jedi of lesser rank. And I noticed the "Jedi Etiquette" as well. It seems the common term of reference for a Jedi Knight or Jedi Master is "Master Jedi" to non-Jedi.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wouldn't say it is their RIGHT to do so, but they can and it is seen as an act of defiance AGAINST the council's wishes, presuming the council denied the action in the first place as they did with Qui Gon. And the same for Obi Wan.

Correct.

I think that is a safe assumption.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite movies are the "babylon 5" ones. They have every everything. They have great story lines. I love the characters also. My 2 favorite characters are G'kar of Narn and Londo of the Centuari Prime.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Floyd View Post
    My favorite movies are the "babylon 5" ones. They have every everything. They have great story lines. I love the characters also. My 2 favorite characters are G'kar of Narn and Londo of the Centuari Prime.
    I think G'kar and Londo were my favorite characters from the show as well. They are the characters changed the most by the events of the series and end up in almost completely reversed roles by the end of season 5. Bab5 was a great show, but you really had to watch them all consecutively in order to fully understand and appreciate it.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by ruelk View Post
    Blade Runner
    Finally someone with some sense...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its very hard to pick one...
    Aliens, Blade Runner, Terminator, Donny Darko and I know some will be thinking "what the..." but I also liked The Last Mimzi. :-)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the forbidden planet! the day the earth stood still! war of the worlds! (the black and white ones...)

planet of the apes! you'll never forget the first time you saw the statue.

and for the humor value: zenra. ^^
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234