Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Of All Time?

Downloads
    Uploads

Movies

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    If animated movies count. One of my favorites is AKIRA.

5th Element (Not greatest but a really good movie).

I believe all my favorites were already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    A Clockwork Orange is the best for bizarre and unique Sci fi.
    I fail to see why Clockwork Orange should be considered as SciFi.

Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Speaking of Pitch Black, The Chronicles of Riddick is pretty awesome.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimthar View Post
    If animated movies count. One of my favorites is AKIRA.

5th Element (Not greatest but a really good movie).

I believe all my favorites were already mentioned.
    I fail to see why Clockwork Orange should be considered as SciFi.
    It is more a sub-genre of speculative literature/science fiction called libertarian science fiction. It deals with a future time where the peoples Utopian dream is subverted by the state. It won the Prometheus Award and is highly regarded by many critics as a unique dystopian science fiction novel. While not the usual brainless flash bang special effects of modern sci-fi, it is most definitely sci-fi.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Nothing, and I mean nothing about the world of Alien was happy or had a happy ending. Including the deleted scene of Ripley discovering that her real daughter died of old age.

So to have a happy ending with family and all that at the end of Aliens, it should be expected that something bad is going to happen.

Thats the alien universe.

It still sucks that they died in their cryo tubes with no chance.
    I agree, I'm just against that they both died at the opening. Its like the writers just didn't want to have to deal with them. Bishop at leased got a tolerable death.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    I enjoyed The Island. Not quite a Sci-Fi movie but it doesn't really belong in any of the other "Greatest Movie" threads.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Forbidden Planet -- Edgy, the plot is not all that unique The Tempest retold. However the concept that Earth people flew the flying saucers (I love the C-57D cruiser. Classic ship) was new. What Forbidden Planet did do is lead directly to Star Trek. (Among the props in Capitan Pike's quarters is a hat that looks like it came right off the set of Forbidden Planet. You never saw anyone wear one and hats got banished from the show in the second pilot, but it was there. The feel of The Cage, Star Trek's unaired first pilot is very much Forbidden Planet: the Series) Star Trek the most prolific and to my mind best SF show series ever. Star Trek led to Star Wars, and that broke down the door for SF. It was no longer relegated to the B films.

Day the Earth Stood Still
    -- Edge of the seat intense even if the FX are old and dated.

Metropolis -- The allegory is heavy handed, it can drag on for the person used to color and sound, but Fritz Lang's parable is outstanding. I remember first seeing it at a Con and sitting with my mouth open for the whole thing. At the beginning of film itself Fritz Lang did wonders with nothing!
    absolutely! i'm just sad i didn't think of posting these first! it's been so long since i've seen those! klaatu barada nikto! the 1951 version rules!
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post
    absolutely! i'm just sad i didn't think of posting these first! it's been so long since i've seen those! klaatu barada nikto! the 1951 version rules!
    WHAT! There is a newer version!?

Runs over to IMDB!!!

Downloads
    Uploads
    StarWars...StarTrek...and The Matrix

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are a large number of good sci-fi movies out there. Alien, Aliens, The Matrix, Serenity, Men In Black, Terminator, Terminator 2, Solaris (the '70s Russian film, not the George Clooney one) and many others my tired brain can't conjure up at the moment. But here are a few of my top faves:

1) Original Star Wars Trilogy

2) Dark City

3) Galaxy Quest (love it, love it, love it...better than Spaceballs, and I like Spaceballs)

As far as how I would rank the 6 Star Wars films if under duress, I would probably cite the following from best to worst:

1) Return of the Jedi - This is a tough one, but if I had to, I think I would edge out Return just barely ahead of Empire mostly for the epic space battle and the final confrontation between Luke and Vader. In particular, the scene where Luke lashes out in anger toward Vader, momentarily embracing the Dark Side (accompanied by what I feel to be the most flawless and evocative piece of music in any of the Star Wars films) has always stuck out in my mind as purely excellent cinema.

2) Empire Strikes Back - I don't think I need to say anything about this film. You've either seen it and thus know its beauty, or you haven't and don't.

3) A New Hope - Classic, fantastic fun, exciting and the origin point for one of the greatest sci-fi epics of all time. I've heard people complain about "poor special effects-this" and "whiny Luke-that", but to be quite honest, this movie manages to capture your attention from the very beginning and never makes you regret a minute of it.

4) Attack of the Clones - An overall rock-em, sock-em Star Wars action-flick and probably the most consistently competent of the prequel films. Dooku was actually cool in this film and it marks the first Star Wars movie where we get to see more than 2 Jedi at a time kicking butt.

5) Revenge of the Sith - Filled with some really excellent action sequences. And then there's all that muck in between them...but hey, there's a lot of good action sequences (I tend to fast forward through the "talking" parts, particularly when they involve Manakin and Padme). Not to mention this film in no way convinced me of Anakin's fall. My god, there could have been such more powerful and compelling reasons for him to have embraced the Dark Side. But no, this would not be the way of things. His fall felt rushed and contrived (and quite frankly absurd) and I felt it cheapened the character...something you should not do to a villain as awesome as Darth Vader.

6) The Phantom Menace - There were few redeeming qualities to this film (namely Darth Maul and Jedi saber-goodness), but all it needed was strained dialog, poor acting and computer-generated fart jokes to drag it to the bottom of the barrel.

I did, however, thoroughly enjoy the Clone Wars animated series. Most excellent!
    Last edited by Webhead; 04-29-2008 at 01:06 AM.
    HARRY DRESDEN ó WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    *snip*
    Well, since you brought it up, here is how I rank the Star Wars movies.

I LOVE Star Wars. Yes. Its true. I really do. I donít think there is anything I hate about Star Wars. Well, except for the new song and dance number in Episode VI but that is easily bypassed.

I even love the new 3 movies, The Phantom Menace, The Clone Wars, and Revenge of the Sith. Yes. Its true. Call me what you will, I think they are awesome! In fact here is how I would rank all of the movies in order from most favorite to least.

1) Revenge of the Sith
    2) Return of the Jedi
    3) Empire Strike Back
    4) The Clone Wars
    5) A New Hope
    6) The Clone Wars

Now, let me explain myself.

First, Revenge of the Sith. This movie is AWESOME. There is no if, and, or but about it, this movie is the epitome of what I think Star Wars is. Therefore it is extremely successful in the enjoyment I get out of it. Even the crappy scene between Anakin and Padme that is horribly acted, I donít care, THAT is Star Wars. What I particularly like and what I think the genius of George Lucas is, is the subtleties of his dialog and the nuances in Hayden's performance. For the writing is summed up in the final scene between Obi Wan and Vader when Vader says, "From my point of view the Jedi are evil!" When you watch the films again, pay attention to the dialog, for all of the characters really do make their decisions based on their certain point of view, its great. And yes, there are nuances in Hayden's performance that I only noticed on multiple viewings. You can really see the struggle in his eyes in trying to decide the right thing to do, and there is reluctance in his voice when he is telling Padme on Mustafar about overthrowing the Emperor, almost as if the idea JUST came to him and he is trying to use it to sway Padme back to his side. Excellent stuff.

Second, Return of the Jedi. Now it could be my nostalgia for the only movie of the original trilogy that I saw in the theater as a kid but I donít think so. This movie also fits what I feel Star Wars is. Not to mention the best space battle out of the ENTIRE saga and at that time the best lightsaber battle out of the trilogy. Though Luke and Vader in Empire is close. Oh, and speeder bikes!!?? Hello! Are those not totally awesome! I used to want one sooooo bad as a kid, who am I kidding, I still want one really bad! And all the hate directed toward the Ewoks. Really? Come on. For real, were they really THAT detrimental to the movie? I didnít think so.

Third, Empire Strike Back. I donít think I even need to say anything about this movie. I think its safe to say everyone loves it. But here is why its in my third place spot. The thing that makes this movie for me is that you get a real feel for the way life is in the rebellion. That they are the ones really struggling to make a difference and you really pull together for them. You also see that the galaxy has that lived in sort of feel that George really wanted to convey. That everything isnít all new and shiny but rugged and frontiers like. Plus it is a really well constructed film. But I just donít enjoy watching it as much as I do Jedi or Sith.

Fourth, The Clone Wars. Aside from Annoyakin and boring Padme this movie is pretty awesome too. You have Jedi doing their thing, Jango Fett being a badas, and Count Dooku and his cool evil self. Plus you get to see Obi Wan being the awesomeness that he is. Because all you see of him in the OT is a non-athletic old man. This movie is all around fun!

Fifth, A New Hope. Iíve never liked this movie. The only reasons its not last is because Luke is only SLIGHTLY more tolerable than Jar Jar, nostalgia, and it did kind of cement me into being a SW fan in the first place. But thats it! I canít stand this movie. I think its boring, poorly acted throughout the entire movie instead of just in pockets like the newer movies. Although it could just be the crappy directing job of Geroge. And GOSH DANGIT I want to stab Mark Hamill in the face evey time he says his lines! He is really the worst part of this movie for me I think. Yeah, I like all the humor and the camaraderie between the actors thats good, but the rest sucks.

Sixth The Phantom Menace. I think every reason to hate this movie has already been said by everyone else. Its only saving graces, Palpatine, Obi Wan, and of course Darth Maul. How freaking badas is Darth Maul!!?? Of course he got punked by Obi Wan, who didnít see that coming? But still he was freaking tough looking as crap! And all badas looking after killing Qui Gon. This movie almost beats out A New Hope based strictly on Darth Mauls badas rep.!

So thats it. I should mention that I watch at least one of these movies a day. So I think I have now seen all of the New Triology movies at least 30 times by now. The OT is waaaaay more than that. I think I watch the entire trilogy at least 5 times a month.

Its also not confined to the movies. Anything Star Wars related I canít get enough. Especially the comics! Christ could they be any awesomer? Then there is the roleplaying game! Like I couldnít get enough detailed information about Star Wars and they have to make a roleplaying game? Yes please! The only thing Iím not really into are the novels and Star Wars Lego. I donít know why. You would think the novels wouldnít be that far removed from the comics but there is just, I donít know, too much investment in that or something. And Star Wars lego, I mean the video game. I love the actual legos but not the game. Its too corny for me I think. Not that I am all serious business about Star Wars just, I donít know, its already corny enough. Iím not that into the action figures either but thats a whole other story. I think being dedicated to the RPG is bad enough. I donít need to throw action figures into the mess.

So, what else. The new Clone Wars cartoon. Awesome! But a little blown out of proportion with all the stuff the Jedi can do. I am super excited for the live action TV show. Dang I canít wait for that! I will get cable just for that. (Or if they ever had an ALIEN tv show. I wonder if that idea has been pitched?)

Anyway, so yeah,

I love Star Wars

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    So, what else. The new Clone Wars cartoon. Awesome! But a little blown out of proportion with all the stuff the Jedi can do. I am super excited for the live action TV show. Dang I canít wait for that! I will get cable just for that.
    Sure. I think that was part of what made it so much fun. They embraced the opportunity to heavily stylize and just cut loose. I think I was more impressed and satisfied with Clone Wars than I was with the prequels, though it seems that this is not an uncommon opinion considering how generally excellent Clone Wars was.

I will definately watch the *new* CG Clone Wars series. It has potential, but only time will tell if they can pull something worthwhile together. I don't like the idea of giving Anakin a padawan, however (unless of course it were to turn out that the padawan was the Council's way of "keeping tabs" on Anakin). Much like you wouldn't let an alcoholic run a day-care, you don't give a reckless and unpredictable Jedi a student...you just don't. I have trouble seeing the Council condoning this notion, much less suggesting it. But I know very little of this show yet, so I will try not to judge it without giving it a shot.
    HARRY DRESDEN ó WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have a hard time choosing between the Star Wars movies. One of my favorite scenes...is where the Rebels are fighting the Empire on Hoth.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I will definately watch the *new* CG Clone Wars series. It has potential, but only time will tell if they can pull something worthwhile together. I don't like the idea of giving Anakin a padawan, however (unless of course it were to turn out that the padawan was the Council's way of "keeping tabs" on Anakin). Much like you wouldn't let an alcoholic run a day-care, you don't give a reckless and unpredictable Jedi a student...you just don't. I have trouble seeing the Council condoning this notion, much less suggesting it. But I know very little of this show yet, so I will try not to judge it without giving it a shot.
    I concur! Anakin with a padawan is crazy non-sense! My guess is that it is something Chancellor Palpatine suggests the council do or forces the council to do. In Sidious's mind Anakin will form an unhealthy attachment like he does with everyone and everything and when his padawan is killed (since she isn't in EP III she must get killed) he probably somehow will blame the Jedi. Just my guess though!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen most of what sci-fi movies are out there, so I'm always lurking about the video store, waiting for something new.

I know this is a movie thread, but did want to mention that with the lack of new movies, I started reading sci-fi.

A few of my favorites: Ender's game, Thrawn Triology, Outbound Flight, Halo series, Polaris...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Humm. Some older ones..not to be forgotten as well, in no real particular order...

Darkstar
    Silent Running
    Bladerunner
    Dune

Aliens, Predator, Pitch Black, Serenity..

Star Wars (no particular dislike of Episode I, though Return of the Jedi is my favorite..)

Star Trek (Wrath of Khan, Voyage Home and Undiscovered Country)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast