Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Of All Time?

Downloads
    Uploads

Question Greatest Sci-Fi Movies Of All Time?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    What do you think is the greatest Sci-Fi movie(s) of all time and why?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    the original 'planet of the apes'. very little beats the last scene with the statue. (i'll not say which, just in case someone hasn't seen it.) ^^

i have to admit a fondness for 'the black hole'.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Aliens, I don't know why its just my favorite.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, Aliens rocked! Space Marines kicking bug arse is awsome!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Aliens (the 2nd, not series) is my all time favorite. Aliens VS Predator is also absolutely delicious. I've followed the comics and console games and other merchandise since I was a child. When they made Aliens VS Predator I was in heaven. Absolute heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    Yes, Aliens rocked! Space Marines kicking bug arse is awsome!
    Sure you aren't thinking of another classic, Starship Troopers?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post

Sure you aren't thinking of another classic, Starship Troopers?
    Nope, Starship Troopers was cool. but I'm talking about Aliens man!

Cpl. Hicks
    Pvt. Hudson
    Lt. Gorman
    Pvt. Vasquez
    Sgt. Apone
    Pvt. Drake
    Pvt. Frost
    Pvt. Frost
    Cpl. Ferro
    Pvt. Spunkmeyer
    Cpl. Dietrich
    Pvt. Crowe
    Pvt. Wierzbowski

Aliens = bugs

Space Marines wasting Aliens = Space Marines kicking bug arse! Yeah!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've audio dubbed my voice over the entire film more times than I can remember. I had so much fun with this film through highschool

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure exactly were this movie falls, but I really liked Altered States with William Hurt.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080360/

Downloads
    Uploads
    Doh! How could I forget Heavy Metal! Rock'n'Roll soundtrack and animation- great combo!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'ld have to say Spaceballs

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads
    How can nobody name Star Wars yet? It was incredible, and definitely the best ever. Empire Strikes Back is a close second.

Aliens is way good in a Sci fi/horror way.
    Blade Runner was an awesome look at a Dark Future.
    A Clockwork Orange is the best for bizarre and unique Sci fi.
    The Matrix is tops for cyber-fi.
    The Terminator series is still king of post appocalyptic cyborg action.

Many good movies...
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    2001 A Space Odessy --While the story was not the most engaging ever (as filmed) it did break ground that led to later films.

Forbidden Planet
    -- Edgy, the plot is not all that unique The Tempest retold. However the concept that Earth people flew the flying saucers (I love the C-57D cruiser. Classic ship) was new. What Forbidden Planet did do is lead directly to Star Trek. (Among the props in Capitan Pike's quarters is a hat that looks like it came right off the set of Forbidden Planet. You never saw anyone wear one and hats got banished from the show in the second pilot, but it was there. The feel of The Cage, Star Trek's unaired first pilot is very much Forbidden Planet: the Series) Star Trek the most prolific and to my mind best SF show series ever. Star Trek led to Star Wars, and that broke down the door for SF. It was no longer relegated to the B films.

Day the Earth Stood Still
    -- Edge of the seat intense even if the FX are old and dated.

Zardoz -- Best ever? No, not really. But it is, weird. I like it. It's, weird.

Metropolis -- The allegory is heavy handed, it can drag on for the person used to color and sound, but Fritz Lang's parable is outstanding. I remember first seeing it at a Con and sitting with my mouth open for the whole thing. At the beginning of film itself Fritz Lang did wonders with nothing!

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    How can nobody name Star Wars yet? It was incredible, and definitely the best ever. Empire Strikes Back is a close second.

Aliens is way good in a Sci fi/horror way.
    Blade Runner was an awesome look at a Dark Future.
    A Clockwork Orange is the best for bizarre and unique Sci fi.
    The Matrix is tops for cyber-fi.
    The Terminator series is still king of post appocalyptic cyborg action.

Many good movies...

I thought Star Wars was a given? Now I know I'm going to get boo'd so get it out now... OK personally I like Empire Strikes Back better because Lucas didn't direct it. I give the man props for comming up with the idea and all, but I don't like his directing.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow! I can't believe someone actually opened this can of worms!

The entire ALIEN trilogy!

Notice I did not say Quadrilogy or whatever.

Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3, are hands down my favorite sci-fi movies of all time AND my top three favorite movies of all time!

I am glad to see so many others feel the same way.

Of course Star Wars (the saga) has a close place in my heart but not even close to Alien.

Here is a little synopsis of my favorite star wars movies in order and why they are in that order.

Enjoy!

I heart Star Wars.

Yes. Its true. I really do. I donít think there is anything I hate about Star Wars. Well, except for the new song and dance number in Episode VI but that is easily bypassed.

I even love the new 3 movies, The Phantom Menace, The Clone Wars, and Revenge of the Sith. Yes. Its true. Call me what you will, I think they are awesome! In fact here is how I would rank all of the movies in order from most favorite to least.

1) Revenge of the Sith

2) Return of the Jedi

3) Empire Strike Back

4) The Clone Wars

5) A New Hope

6) The Phantom Menace

Now, let me explain myself. First, Revenge of the Sith. This movie is AWESOME. There is no if, and, or but about it, this movie is the epitome of what I think Star Wars is. Therefore it is extremely successful in the enjoyment I get out of it. Even the crappy scene between Anakin and Padme that is horribly acted, I donít care, that is Star Wars.

Second, Return of the Jedi. Now it could be my nostalgia for the only movie of the original trilogy that I saw in the theater as a kid but I donít think so. This movie also fits what I feel Star Wars is. Not to mention the best space battle out of the ENTIRE saga and at that time the best lightsaber battle out of the trilogy. Though Luke and Vader in Empire is close. Oh, and speeder bikes!!?? Hello! Are those not totally awesome! I used to want one sooooo bad as a kid, who am I kidding, I still want one really bad! And all the hate directed toward the Ewoks. Really? Come on. For real, were they really THAT detrimental to the movie? I didnít think so.

Third, Empire Strike Back. I donít think I even need to say anything about this movie. I think its safe to say everyone loves it. But here is why its in my third place spot. The thing that makes this movie for me is that you get a real feel for the way life is in the rebellion. That they are the ones really struggling to make a difference and you really pull together for them. You also see that the galaxy has that lived in sort of feel that George really wanted to convey. That everything isnít all new and shiny but rugged and frontiers like. Plus it is a really well constructed film. But I just donít enjoy watching it as much as I do Jedi or Sith.

Fourth, The Clone Wars. Aside from Annoyakin and boring Padme this movie is pretty awesome too. You have Jedi doing their thing, Jango Fett being a badass, and Count Dooku and his cool evil self. Plus you get to see Obi Wan being the awesomeness that he is. Because all you see of him in the OT is a non-athletic old man. This movie is all around fun!

Fifth, A New Hope. Iíve never liked this movie. The only reasons its not last is because Luke is only SLIGHTLY more tolerable than Jar Jar, nostalgia, and it did kind of cement me into being a SW fan in the first place. But thats it! I canít stand this movie. I think its boring, poorly acted throughout the entire movie instead of just in pockets like the newer movies. Although it could just be the crappy directing job of Geroge. And GOSH DAMMIT I want to stab Mark Hamill in the face eveytime he says his lines! He is really the worst part of this movie for me I think. Yeah, I like all the humor and the camaraderie between the actors thats good, but the rest sucks.

Sixth The Phantom Menace. I think every reason to hate this movie has already been said by everyone else. Its only saving graces, Palpatine, Obi Wan, and of course Darth Maul. How freaking badas is Darth Maul!!?? Of course he got punked by Obi Wan, who didnít see that coming? But still he was freaking tough looking as crap! And all badas looking after killing Qui Gon. This movie almost beats out A New Hope based strictly on Darth Mauls badas rep.!

So thats it. I should mention that I watch at least one of these movies a day. So I think I have now seen all of the New Triology movies at least 50 times by now. The OT is waaaaay more than that. I think I watch the entire trilogy at least 5 times a month.

Its also not confined to the movies. Anything Star Wars related I canít get enough. Especially the comics! Christ could they be any awesomer? Then there is the roleplaying game! Like I couldnít get enough detailed information about Star Wars and they have to make a roleplaying game? Yes please! The only thing Iím not really into are the novels and Star Wars Lego. I donít know why. You would think the novels wouldnít be that far removed from the comics but there is just, I donít know, too much investment in that or something. And Star Wars lego, I mean the video game. I love the actual legos but not the game. Its too corny for me I think. Not that I am all serious business about Star Wars just, I donít know, its already corny enough. Iím not that into the action figures either but thats a whole other story. I think being dedicated to the RPG is bad enough. I donít need to throw action figures into the mess.

So, what else. The new Clone Wars cartoon. Awesome! But a little blown out of proportion with all the stuff the Jedi can do. I am super excited for the live action TV show. Damn I canít wait for that! I will get cable just for that. (Or if they ever had an ALIEN tv show. I wonder if that idea has been pitched?) Every Star Wars video game I am mad over. I want to go out and collect all the video games just to have them.

Anyway, so yeah,

I love Star Wars
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast