Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Darkage Warlord - Skirmish Rules - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darkage Warlord - Skirmish Rules

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm just jumping in on this thread, but would be interested in exploring the game more (although my time is a bit constrained).

What kind of maps do you need? How about tokens?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    You ought to arm your archers with some melee weapon for when they do get stuck in melee. If you're resource strapped, you can give them clubs, but I usually arm them with shortswords. As far as if they are attacked when they have their bows weilded, I think its enough of penalty that they won't get to fight back that turn.

That I can agree with.

As for how many rounds the battle took, it took sometime. I came down to two Veteran, Heavy (armor and shield) spear going at it with my recruit longbows shooting from behind. We played to the last man. That last round took a while due to the lack of damage (only 2 per unit). Also due to the fact the spearmens' defense was greater and forced the attack rolls down. So what out for those.

As for cities. I just wanted to mention that it should be that the occupied will start with no materials and available units due to the city defending itself, unless the city was neutral to begin with (just gotta have one or two. Makes it a race to see who can get those free units first).
    When I visit reality, I go as a tourist.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cecil View Post
    I'm just jumping in on this thread, but would be interested in exploring the game more (although my time is a bit constrained).

What kind of maps do you need? How about tokens?
    Welcome Cecil... looks like you're just down the road from me.

This game is in its pretty early stages. If you want to try it all you need is a hex map, some paper, 6 sided dice, and pennies for pieces.

Or you can try out some play by post on this board, something I've been itching to do .

Schmall,

Yeah, gotta fix the endgame. Probably need some kind of point system per unit, so if one is destroyed or reduced to near-ineffectiveness, the points add up, eventually having one player win. If you have suggestions on how to do that rule, let me know. It's no fun fighting to the last man.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    In a campaign, it would be common for somone to flee in order to prevent complete destruction. Best to run and fight another day. Besides, even fleeing units should gain Exp towards being an elite.

Stand alone skirimshes dont always have to go down to the last man. You can also play king of the hill, capture the flag, and other mission based goals. A fun thought is in a three way battle and the goal is to wipe out the guy on your left.

Downloads
    Uploads
    All good ideas. I like the idea of King of the Hill. Now how would you score it? Whoever has the most men within three hexes of the "hill" gets a point each round? And 10 points win?

Or we could go the D&D Miniatures route and have victory areas that work the same as above, only the one side's victory area is usually on the other side of the map from the other side's victory area.

I like the idea of the 3 way battle. Sounds like a good way to do it. With hex grids its a lot easier to come up with a three player map, too.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    If we can wait about a month or two I'll take a look at prepping some tokens to use for the game. By October I should also have several maps ready to go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I work in a call center, and so long as I am taking my calls with high quality (which I do), I can do just about anything on my desk. So I printed about 2 dozen blank hex grids. From there I just simply used color pencils. Already have one huge map and two small ones with different styles in mind for each. I am going to glue the drawn boards to cardboard and then using packaging tape to seal and protect =)

A note on hills and maps. I am just simply coloring in the hexes due to the lack of artistic skills. So I am keeping it simple. Thus my hills/slopes are tan colored with a brown line along the hex border to indicate the summit of the hill/slope. This way I can effectively indicate where the top of the hill/slope is and this way you can also make those hills become craters instead if you want...

As for the scoring on King of the Hill, go with the same concept of Halo 2. Whoever is on the goal hill starts to accumalate points, even when contested. I suspect people using speedy light mounts to get there first for points and then have the slow moving, hard to kill, armored units come in to save ther day wit hthe archers raining down thier arrows. If you want to make it more interesting, make the points earned = to the number of men, not units. Thus a 6 man unit gains you 6 points. First to 50 to 100 wins. 50 for a fast game, 100 for those that have the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The King of the Hill scoring concept seems interesting, but I'm afraid the victory points would have to be based on the map/scenario as opposed to the game itself. Different maps would affect the accumulation of VPs differently.

It would be interesting to see how a unit/team fared across multiple maps/scenarios. We could run a series of games, where everyone keeps the same unit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For the purpose of testing, my friend and I keep our armies perfectly equal so that we can see how the units actually fare. We keep coming down to the last man since we have played so mannnyyy games against each other and talk abou them afterwards, so we know each other's strategies pretty well.

As for different maps with different terrains, one of my small maps is a simple open field with lots of little hills. Makes things interesting with the archers and the lack of LOS. The other small map has a road representing a major trade route that has a cliff face looking down on it (slopes from both sides of the map leading up onto the cliff) and some forests for cover. Mostly open fields. The huge map is hard to explain. Guess I will just have to scan the maps in at the library sometime and just attach them so you guys can see. I will be sure to include a legend. What kind of file you guys perfer?? GIF, PIC, JIP, Adobe??

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am also interested in seeing how barding and 2-handed swords would work. I may try a few playtest battles after this weekend along those lines.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmall View Post
    Guess I will just have to scan the maps in at the library sometime and just attach them so you guys can see. I will be sure to include a legend. What kind of file you guys perfer?? GIF, PIC, JIP, Adobe??
    Very cool. When you upload them, I'd say the gif format would be best, due to its widespread use and ease of manipulation (for size, etc)
    It may actually be easy for me to write a utility or add capability to the Army Builder. You would be able to design a map that you could then print or create an image of to play online. Look in the maps thread for something I mocked up using a hard-coded program. How does that sound?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12