Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Darkage Warlord - The concept

Downloads
    Uploads

Darkage Warlord - The Concept

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    This is a wargame focused on the large-scale conflict of midieval times. The heart of the game is found in the ability to be in control of a large army of customizable units, using the strategy and tactics that defined the battlefields in those ages.

There are two modes of conflict that will be fleshed out over the course of development:
    1. Overland battle - This is where armies will move about the countryside, conquering villiages and sieging castles. Naval forces will take to the seas to establish sea power and transport troops. Armies will need to maintain supply lines to remain in fighting shape, and small forces may attempt daring raids through hostile terrain.
    2. Skirmish - When two opposing forces meet on the overland map, they will enter a skirmish. You will lead your army to victory or defeat on these battlefields.
    Development will first focus on the skirmish mode, as that is the heart and soul of the game. Some of the desired features include:
    • Midieval war combat system
    • Large number of soldiers on a battlefield
    • Simple mechanics for each unit
    • Customizable units - choose armor, weapons, and training level for each unit
    • Focused to allow strategy and tactics from a midieval general's perspective
    • Quick play - a skirmish (between two large armies) should take about half an hour to an hour to play
    This is a concept in development, and as such requires feedback from others, so feel free to make your comments and join in the discussion.

Rules changes and updates will be posted from time to time, and this forum will also serve as a playtest field using a Play By Post system.
    Last edited by Mulsiphix; 02-11-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: changed the casing of concept in the thread title ^_^

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This system is not set in stone. What we have right now is a template and it is very much a rough draft. The first play by post games will give us a real good idea of how well the system performs when played and how play by post friendly it is. Please do not hesitate to leave feedback of any nature. Criticism, suggestions, complaints, balancing issues, etc... are all valued and welcome.

The system is based off of the Dark Ages of earth's history but is hardly a historical simulation or accurate representation. Elements of any nature are welcome as long as they enhance the game.
    Last edited by Mulsiphix; 02-11-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like fun, I'm a History Major with a specialization in Medeval History, from the fall of the Roman Empire to the End of the dark ages, I would be glad to be of help if you need it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wandering Bard View Post
    Sounds like fun, I'm a History Major with a specialization in Medeval History, from the fall of the Roman Empire to the End of the dark ages, I would be glad to be of help if you need it.
    Medieval equipment is actually something I am very interested in maximizing in this game. Both from a historical point of view and as a basis for alternate timeline or fantasy technology. Before we start expanding on the details (equipment, terrain types, whether, extensive levels of soldier training, etc...) of the game we need to get a few play by post games under our belt.

Maelstrom is more concerned with the quick skirmishes that are possible with such a system and I am most concerned with fleshing this setting out and adding a ridiculous amount of optional rules for gamers like me who enjoy disgustingly long game sessions. I figure the final game will have different rule levels very similar to that of BattleTech. Just an idea though, at this point anything is possible. Your knowledge will prove most beneficial indeed

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, all you need to do is let me know what you need or what your intrested in and I will do what I can for you. I would love to help out in any way possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Glad to have you listening in! I'll start posting the rules we've already worked out tonight and tomorrow, and hopefully we can have the first play by post skirmish going soon after.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!