Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Rules Lawyer needs help

Downloads
    Uploads

Rules Lawyer needs help

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Yes, I am the Rules Lawyer; the evil speck of dust that is the lowest form of life around the DnD table {aside from the DM, of course}. There were just a few things that I wanted to ask on this forum:

1. I read 'somewhere' that a rogue is limited to one sneak attack a round. I also read 'somewhere' that ONLY the rogue's primary swing can deal a sneak attack. Are rogue's limited in their sneak attack abilities or can a rogue with two weapons deal two sneak attacks a round? Has anyone heard of these rules, and if so, where can I find them in the books?

2. I noticed that there are a few items that have DR, like adamantine armor, that doesn't say what kind of damage bypasses. Werebears have like a DR 15/Silver, so silver does full damage to them; but what if a specific type of damage is not listed?

I realize that a whole bunch of this stuff is "based on the DM discretion" but our DM actually listens IF I can provide that information.

Any help would be appreciated and thank you.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zerg,

In 3rd edition, if your opponent is denied their dexterity bonus for whatever reason, or they are flanked, a rogue can sneak attack with as many attacks as he has each round. This is true whether it is with secondary attacks or off-hand attacks.

Items do not have damage reduction, they have hardness. Hardness reduces damage right off the top. Only damage dealt in excess of the hardness is applied to the object's hitpoints. Energy based attacks affect items differently as well, here's a quote from the SRD:

Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.
    Some materials may have particular weaknesses though and this is left mostly to the DMs discretion. The players handbook (pg 165) gives the example that a curtain may be especially easy to light on fire, or it may be easy to chop down a tree with an axe. In those cases, the attack deals double damage and may possibly ignore the object's hardness altogether.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks

Thank you for the reply. I guess my memory was sketchy over the Sneak Attack business.

A special property of adamantine armor is that it provides a DR {1 for light, 2 for medium, and 3 for heavy armor} to whoever is wearing it. We found a suit last session {The DM is insane for giving a 5 level fighter a +1 Full Plate Adamantine, but considering I am the tank I will not complain} but the arguement of what kind of damage negates basically meant that the armor sits in my pack until the DM decides on something.

I was under the impression that it was every kind of physical damage {a punch, arrow, sword, etc. Not elemental/magical} that could be reduced, except for adamantine weapons because they are equally as strong. I was just wondering if magical weapons would negate; IE An Iron Golem having a DR 15/3, meaning 15 damage reduction against everything phsyical except a +3 weapon. What would bypass a DR 3/ ?

Again, I could be totally and completely wrong. I was just seeking insight before the next session. And again, any information would be awesome.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you are correct about adamantine armor. it does, in fact, provide damage resistance.
    3.5 dmg: page 283, Masterwork Items: Special Materials. it states that light grants dr 1/-, medium grants dr 2/-, and heavy grants dr 3/-.
    note that damage reduction does not stack, ever, unless the ability granting it specifically states so. you only get the benefit of the best DR. think barbarians DR and adamantine DR. however, there are cases where "layered" DR might apply, such as when you have DR 10/silver and DR 5/evil. here is your reference:
    3.5 dmg: p 291-292, Special Abilities: Damage Reduction

also, here is the link to the reference in the online hypertext SRD.
    note that dr (number)/- means that your DR reduces damage by the (number) amount against ALL types of damage, except those types that ignore DR. for details, see above special abilities section. it lists the types of damage that ignore DR. might want to screenshot it, or something, and print it out for yours and the dm's reference. (i think this info is on the 3.5 dm's screen, i'll have to check)

note that in 3.5, damage reduction no longer uses the "+x magic weapon" mechanic. instead it is DR x/magic. the exact 'plus whatever' no longer matters, only wether the weapon is magic or not. however, in 3.0 your guess is correct. it used to be that a golem's DR could only be bypassed by a magic weapon of '+x' as listed in it's description. note that in 3.5 most golem have DR/adamantine.

oh, and not strictly on topic, but i've seen zerg rushes beaten by a zealot rush. it mostly depends on map size. aw, man! now i'm going to have to dig out my copy and play again. ^^
    Last edited by nijineko; 02-11-2008 at 05:23 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    1. If a rogue has the opportunity for a sneak attack, then he can sneak attack with as many attacks he has in that round. I recommend reading the Wizards FAQ. There are several questions under the rogue class regarding sneak attack and they clarify this point. In fact, I recommend reading the full FAQ.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/faq

2. If there is no qualifier after the Damage Resistance, then it applies to all damage sustained.
    Last edited by Farcaster; 02-11-2008 at 12:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post

2. If there is no qualifier after the Damage Resistance, then it applies to all damage sustained.

An addendum to that: It applies to all physical damage. Energy damage ignores DR.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am unclear as to why my last post was edited by Farcaster. What was edited and why was it edited? As far as I remember, I don't think that anything was changed. I would just like an explanation. What did I do wrong?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Arioch View Post
    An addendum to that: It applies to all physical damage. Energy damage ignores DR.
    Good catch! I was thinking it, but should have clarified in words.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    I am unclear as to why my last post was edited by Farcaster. What was edited and why was it edited?
    Since you were replying to the original post, I didn't think the entire post needed to be quoted. So, I only removed the quote. You didn't break any rules at all. No worries.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    be happy!
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive