Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battlestar Galactica RPG

Downloads
    Uploads

Battlestar Galactica RPG

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was just wondering if anyone plays this rpg. I love Serenity rpg system so much that I picked up BG RPG. Well because it has to be the best TV drama/ sci fi out there, and I'm very picky about what I put in this body.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What makes you like the Serenity game so much?

I do like the new BG. I was even a fan of the original. Never have had a chance to play the game.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm actually very curious what you thought about Serenity RPG. There are many users on these forums who have asked about it but nobody has really played it. Maybe you could create a new thread and regale us with some tales?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i've played it. serenity that is. it seemed like there was a lot of potential. i liked the chinese phrases the most. the party "slots" seemed somewhat limited. but i'm used to that from d&d. didn't get to play very long, so it seems up to what the dm can come up with, within the scope of the game, like most rpgs.

now battlestar galactica, the new one.... i have mixed reactions to it. i was a fan of the original. hard not to be, what with all the in-jokes. but the new one is a mixed bag. the storyline has been hijacked and partially ruined... but they have some new interesting ideas mixed in too. the updated cylons are pretty sweet-both old and new. the hollywood sexual overtones are crap, and do nothing but bug me. i miss more episodes due to this.... the original was just fine without it. (it had some, but it was a lot less revealing) i miss the egyptian overtones. they had a purpose in the original. i even like the original theme song better than the new one.

but most of all, i miss all the obscure references and in-jokes. you can tell that they didn't realize what they were in the original and so missed out on almost all of them. sigh.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    What makes you like the Serenity game so much?

I do like the new BG. I was even a fan of the original. Never have had a chance to play the game.

Well it's a mix of my two favorite genres for staters sci/fi and westerns, but it's the system that I really like. They player has more flexability then ever to building a character to the way he/ she wants. Plus with the option of flaws which is a very human element in any story which can make the greatest of hero's more beleivable. Not many games out there provide that kind of option they just hope that you remember that when in character, but this not only dosn't let you forget but it can boost or hinder your roll that provides an unknown factor.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Citadel View Post
    Well it's a mix of my two favorite genres for staters sci/fi and westerns
    That makes me automatically think of the serie Firefly. I was hooked by Firefly, much more than by new Battlestar Galactica. Ok they're hardly comparable, but my main issue with the new BG is all that drama time where the characters enact their inner demons or political agenda. I mean yeah the story need them, but they're way too long. The balance between sterile talk over action is tedious. Firefly was so much faster... they gave enough part to the characters without killing the tempo. I'd play a game in that setting !
    Au gibet noir, manchot aimable, dansent, dansent les paladins
    Les maigres paladins du diable les squelettes de Saladins.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nijineko View Post

now battlestar galactica, the new one.... i have mixed reactions to it. i was a fan of the original. hard not to be, what with all the in-jokes. but the new one is a mixed bag. the storyline has been hijacked and partially ruined... but they have some new interesting ideas mixed in too. the updated cylons are pretty sweet-both old and new. the hollywood sexual overtones are crap, and do nothing but bug me. i miss more episodes due to this.... the original was just fine without it. (it had some, but it was a lot less revealing) i miss the egyptian overtones. they had a purpose in the original. i even like the original theme song better than the new one.

but most of all, i miss all the obscure references and in-jokes. you can tell that they didn't realize what they were in the original and so missed out on almost all of them. sigh.
    I feel pretty much the same way. IMHO, the new BSG series is just a late night soap opera. From a military stand point, they've done some stupid stuff and makes the BSG officers and soldiers look like idiots. The concept of the new Cylons is cool, but it really is just a cover to have a hot blonde naked as much as possible on late night TV. The CGI and overall look of the show is awsome because it's updated from the old models of the 70s, but the rest of the show is crap and drivel in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    I feel pretty much the same way. IMHO, the new BSG series is just a late night soap opera. From a military stand point, they've done some stupid stuff and makes the BSG officers and soldiers look like idiots. The concept of the new Cylons is cool, but it really is just a cover to have a hot blonde naked as much as possible on late night TV. The CGI and overall look of the show is awsome because it's updated from the old models of the 70s, but the rest of the show is crap and drivel in my opinion.

Now now I must protest I like hot blondes, especially if there naked. Yes, the drama can get annoying at times but I think the drama is great. You have to atleast admit that the drama is what draws people to watch the show (like my self). I mean your flying around in a tin can moving from one system to another in hopes of finding a lost colony. I think your bound to run it to alot of things beside destroying toasters, and most of it to be personal. Don't take this the wrong way but I never did like the old version it was as lame as a Star Treck convention which I'm ashamed to say I went to one. In my defense it was because of a girl.... enough said.

The BG RPG is basically built around that you build relationship, kill a few bad guy's and move on befor you snap.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by boulet View Post
    That makes me automatically think of the serie Firefly. I was hooked by Firefly, much more than by new Battlestar Galactica. Firefly was so much faster... they gave enough part to the characters without killing the tempo. I'd play a game in that setting !
    Serenity is the RPG based off the movie continuation of the Firefly series called Serenity. Serenity was the name of the ship, firefly was the ships design. It is basically the same thing in the same universe. Not sure if you got that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just got it now Suddenly I see the light !

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, how does the step mechanic of the cortex system work in play, Citadel? It sounds like an interesting mechanic that both games share.

Lake Geneva, WI: Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd Come on, it has to be good if it's from Wisconsin.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Citadel View Post
    Now now I must protest I like hot blondes, especially if there naked. Yes, the drama can get annoying at times but I think the drama is great. You have to atleast admit that the drama is what draws people to watch the show (like my self). I mean your flying around in a tin can moving from one system to another in hopes of finding a lost colony. I think your bound to run it to alot of things beside destroying toasters, and most of it to be personal. Don't take this the wrong way but I never did like the old version it was as lame as a Star Treck convention which I'm ashamed to say I went to one. In my defense it was because of a girl.... enough said.

The BG RPG is basically built around that you build relationship, kill a few bad guy's and move on befor you snap.

Hey, that's cool if you like it . I like hot naked blondes as well ; it's just not enough to keep me interested. The drama may draw some viewers, just not me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    I like hot naked blondes as well ; it's just not enough to keep me interested. The drama may draw some viewers, just not me.
    They keep my interest for a couple minutes at least, then it's nap time.

I actually like the drama. It seems more grown up, to match many of us who watched the original show when we were not.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't say the drama is bad for the show. It's just the ratio of character talking about their issues compared to constructive discussions/action that I find tedious.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    So, how does the step mechanic of the cortex system work in play, Citadel? It sounds like an interesting mechanic that both games share.

Lake Geneva, WI: Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd Come on, it has to be good if it's from Wisconsin.

Your going to have to forgive me this is where I stop being a savant and start being an idiot. What is a step mechanic of the cortex? I'm not so great when it comes to terminology, electronics is another matter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast