Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone play M+M?

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone play M+M?

I was just curious if anyone play's Mutants and masterminds here? There doesn't seem to be a large community. I guess if it doesn't say wizards d20 it doesn't deserve a chance LOL. Thats trully a shame for such a great system.

For those who do some how draw your selves from the norm and do play M+M. Tell me about your campaign, what are your characters like, what you like about the system, and tell me what you don't like. Lets face it not everyone agrees even in democracy. So give me your rants and raves

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been using it from time to time. A little fantasy, some pulp/horror, mostly in the PL4-8 range.

I'm in the process of putting some house rules up on the Articles/Blogs section of the site. The first bits should be ready in a few days.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TAROT View Post
    I've been using it from time to time. A little fantasy, some pulp/horror, mostly in the PL4-8 range.

I'm in the process of putting some house rules up on the Articles/Blogs section of the site. The first bits should be ready in a few days.
    That would be great, I'm more of a hound when it comes to new way's of thinking. If you don't mind let me know when you do.
    Last edited by Citadel; 02-10-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The official forums are home to hundreds of currently active M&M players. They even have a player locator section which is quite popular. The game is published by Green Ronin and is very still much in its infancy as far as pen and paper games go. It is backed by an awesome company and even has its own form of D20 (superlink) where other people can publish M&M products. I've heard plenty of rave reviews of it but haven't had the pleasure of playing it myself. I'd really like to hear more as well from players who visit this board.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    The official forums are home to hundreds of currently active M&M players. They even have a player locator section which is quite popular. The game is published by Green Ronin and is very still much in its infancy as far as pen and paper games go. It is backed by an awesome company and even has its own form of D20 (superlink) where other people can publish M&M products. I've heard plenty of rave reviews of it but haven't had the pleasure of playing it myself. I'd really like to hear more as well from players who visit this board.
    Someone gave the book a few months back, and from what I gathered it's a sold game. The odd but cool thing was that there's no HP like your normal D20 games. There's just saves for damage you take and depending on the save pluss or minus the dificulty will depend on the effects. Pretty much how D6 resolved there damage system. Not to mention the wide verity of powers with multiple effects. the thing that drew me to the game was its flexability to create worlds and setting from a all fantasy to a sci fi setting just by using one book. Pretty much like Hero system but without the huge ammounts of math,

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Change "superheroic" to "non-superheroic" in last para

Quote Originally Posted by Citadel View Post
    The odd but cool thing was that there's no HP like your normal D20 games. There's just saves for damage you take and depending on the save pluss or minus the dificulty will depend on the effects.
    Just as a point of interest, Green Ronin modified Mutants and Masterminds into the True20 system, which in some ways is a closer match for traditional fantasy or horror RPGs. It retains the "save against damage" mechanic (called Toughness) of M&M, but has levels like standard D&D (but only three primary classes, or "roles": Adept, Expert, and Warrior).

If I recall, someone even figured out how to derive True20 characters from M&M. So I guess if you want greater flexibility in character creation, go to M&M; if you want something a little more traditional for NON-superheroic play, go to True20.

(Note: I've yet to play either, but they both look interesting.)
    Last edited by fmitchell; 02-12-2008 at 12:44 PM.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    Just as a point of interest, Green Ronin modified Mutants and Masterminds into the True20 system, which in some ways is a closer match for traditional fantasy or horror RPGs. It retains the "save against damage" mechanic (called Toughness) of M&M, but has levels like standard D&D (but only three primary classes, or "roles": Adept, Expert, and Warrior).

If I recall, someone even figured out how to derive True20 characters from M&M. So I guess if you want greater flexibility in character creation, go to M&M; if you want something a little more traditional for superheroic play, go to True20.

(Note: I've yet to play either, but they both look interesting.)

I haven't seen True 20 myself, but M+M alone is a solid system by it self. I'm just having hard enough time trying to find players to try something new even in a town with two million plus people. My take on it is most gamers won't touch anything that doesn't say Wizard or White Wolf on the cover *LMAO*.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    The official forums are home to hundreds of currently active M&M players. They even have a player locator section which is quite popular.
    Maybe somebody should go over to that site and post a bit with a PNPgames sig . Our player registry/campaign invitations are much much better! We could use some more non D&D guys around for better perspective.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Citadel View Post
    Someone gave the book a few months back, and from what I gathered it's a sold game. The odd but cool thing was that there's no HP like your normal D20 games. There's just saves for damage you take and depending on the save pluss or minus the dificulty will depend on the effects. Pretty much how D6 resolved there damage system. Not to mention the wide verity of powers with multiple effects. the thing that drew me to the game was its flexability to create worlds and setting from a all fantasy to a sci fi setting just by using one book. Pretty much like Hero system but without the huge ammounts of math,
    This information got me very excited. Your passion for the system shows and has inspired me to pick up the core book. That is I plan to start looking for eBay pen and paper lots that have this baby in them. Many thanks for the review Citadel

Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    Maybe somebody should go over to that site and post a bit with a PNPgames sig . Our player registry/campaign invitations are much much better! We could use some more non D&D guys around for better perspective.
    That actually isn't a bad idea. Gives me an idea for a thread. Many thanks sir

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post

Some shameless plugs...LOL I'll see to it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Other than this forum, have you tried to find players locally? Craigslist.com is a great place to find people in your area, especially if your in/near a large city like I am. The website for M+M is budding with gaming possibilities. I highly recommend you put a game together, even if it is short term or just for testing purposes (mention that in the post), and trying to recruit some players through the Campaign Invetations forum

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True 20 was something of a disappointment to me. While I liked, and have stolen some bits, (challenges, removal of ability scores), overall, it was too close to d20 for me.

(P.S. - The first section of my house rules should be going up later tonight.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TAROT View Post
    True 20 was something of a disappointment to me. While I liked, and have stolen some bits, (challenges, removal of ability scores), overall, it was too close to d20 for me.

(P.S. - The first section of my house rules should be going up later tonight.)

How does it differ from M+M

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Differences between M&M and True20

I'm not at home, so I won't give you a rule-by-rule difference, but here's a rough idea.

As a general rule, the intent of M&M is to build and play superheroes, with superpowers and gagdets and so on. True20 cleaves more closely to d20's roots: classes, levels, feats, and skills.

M&M characters start with a point budget roughly correlated to the "level" of the campaign, arbitrarily set by the GM but defaulting to 10. This "level" also caps certain powers, notably attacks; for example at Level 10 you can only have up to 10 levels of Power Blast (or whatever it's called ... again, no books handy.) You buy everything with points: basic stats (often well past 18), feats, skill ranks, superpowers, super-gadgets ... anything and everything that defines your character. As with other point-buy systems, you can also sell down your stats or take on Weaknesses (is that the term?) that can hamper you at critical points.

True20 characters use point-buy for their basic stats (which, in a departure from d20 are in the range -4 to +4 or more ... think of the stat bonuses attached to d20 stats in the usual 3-18 range). Then they pick a "role": Adepts may choose a supernatural Power instead of a Feat, Experts have extra skill ranks and one better-than-average save of their choice, and Warriors have the best BAB and decent saves. Each role also has access to role-specific Feats. At each level, a character may acquire a different role freely -- essentially, multiclassing -- with BAB, saves, and skills accruing from the levels in each role.

Both use the Toughness mechanic instead of hit points, and both borrow heavily from the d20 combat system and other rules. M&M is way more flexible, but the complexity might be daunting at first. True20 is simpler for "typical" RPG worlds, but can be constraining if you're not doing typical Fantasy/Scifi/Horror with human-scale characters or find level-advancement constraining.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    So in essence M&M is a supers game, built on a point buy system, that is extremely complex, but tailored heavily for super settings right? That is True20 is better suited for fantasy and other class based settings right?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast