Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Green Ronin (Mutants & Masterminds) Acquires DC License

Downloads
    Uploads

Green Ronin (Mutants & Masterminds) Acquires DC License

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    This news is a few days old, but I thought it should be posted. From Green Ronin's website:

Green Ronin to Release DC Adventures RPG Books

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

GREEN RONIN TO RELEASE DC ADVENTURES RPG BOOKS
    Game Industry Leader Signs Licensing Deal with DC Comics

May 3, 2010--SEATTLE, WA and NEW YORK, NEW YORK: Green Ronin Publishing announced today that it has signed a licensing agreement with DC Comics and will be releasing the DC ADVENTURES RPG book this August. The game is based on Green Ronin's Mutants & Masterminds, the leading super-hero RPG in the tabletop gaming world.

"It is DC's 75th anniversary this year and I'm delighted we can help celebrate it by bringing the DC Universe back to the roleplaying hobby," said Green Ronin President Chris Pramas. "The team-up of the DCU and the creators behind Mutants & Masterminds will create an unstoppable force of great gaming!"

The DC ADVENTURES game will consist of four books, each done in full color and beautifully illustrated by top comic artists. The line launches in August with the DC ADVENTURES Hero's Handbook. Following it will be Heroes & Villains, Volume 1 in the fall. Then 2011 will see the release of Heroes & Villains, Volume 2 and DC ADVENTURES: Universe.

More information and previews of the DC Adventures line will appear on www.greenronin.com and www.mutantsandmasterminds.com in the coming months.

About Green Ronin Publishing
    Green Ronin Publishing is a Seattle-based company known for its dedication to quality books and games. Founded in 2000, Green Ronin has won more awards for excellence and innovation than any other game company in the new millennium, and took home the coveted ENnie Award for Best Publisher an unprecedented three years running. With great licenses like Dragon Age and A Song of Ice and Fire, groundbreaking games like Mutants & Masterminds and Blue Rose, and a roster of top flight designers and illustrators, Green Ronin Publishing is a leading light in the hobby game industry.

About DC Comics
    DC Comics, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world and home to such iconic characters as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Sandman. These DC Super Heroes and others have starred in comic books, movies, television series (both animated and live-action) and cyberspace, thrilling audiences of all ages for generations. DC Comics' Web site is located at www.dccomics.com.

Green Ronin, Mutants & Masterminds, and their associated logos are trademarks of Green Ronin Publishing.

The DC Universe and all related characters and elements are trademarks of DC Comics 2010. All Rights Reserved.
    I'll definitely be taking a look at this, although I have to make the disclaimer that DC Heroes is probably one of my three favorite games ever, so it has a tough hurdle to get some love from me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm excited about the license, disappointed that M&M 3rd edition will be required to play it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeardSean View Post
    I'm excited about the license, disappointed that M&M 3rd edition will be required to play it.
    It says they're compatible with each other. That doesn't necessarily mean that DC Adventures will be wholly unplayable with 2nd edition.

While I've never actually played M&M, I strongly approve of the system, and as Batman has always been my favorite superhero, I may have to finally cave and pick this up.
    Last edited by MarthWMaster; 05-19-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is fantastic news

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeardSean View Post
    I just recently listened to a postcast with Steve Kenson (LINK), where he said that the DC Adventures "Players Guide" will have the 3rd edition rules in-built. In other words, you don't need to buy a separate 3e core book to play. DC Adventures will be a stand-alone game system. In fact, M&M3e as a stand-alone product won't be available for sale until a few months after the release of DCA.

DC Adventures will be released as 4 books: The Players' Guide (rules), two stat books (DC Heroes and Villains I'm guessing), and a World Book.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Law View Post
    I just recently listened to a postcast with Steve Kenson (LINK), where he said that the DC Adventures "Players Guide" will have the 3rd edition rules in-built. In other words, you don't need to buy a separate 3e core book to play. DC Adventures will be a stand-alone game system. In fact, M&M3e as a stand-alone product won't be available for sale until a few months after the release of DCA.
    You are correct. In fact, according to the interview that I overheard, the M&M 3E corebook is going to be basically just the DC Adventures corebook with all the DC-specific text and art stripped out. Sort of a "pocket player's guide" type of thing. The DC Adventures corebook will contain all the same rules material.

I was very happy to hear the news, both that M&M is getting a new edition and that it's going to be the engine behind the latest DC-licensed RPG. I'm totally picking this up when it finally comes out.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Guess I'll need to check out the updated rules when they come out. Not that I get to run/play superhero games ever but I do like MMs rules. Maybe one day!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    Guess I'll need to check out the updated rules when they come out. Not that I get to run/play superhero games ever but I do like MMs rules. Maybe one day!
    I've been very pleased with what I've learned from the available previews on their website and the few Steve Kenson interviews I've listened to. It really is simply an "evolution" of the system. Specifically, it is breaking away from a few "d20 System" hobgoblins that were not really necessary for the game, cleaning things up and making the game easier and simpler to run.

For example, the new edition abandons the traditional D&D "attribute values" and just uses the "modifiers" straight up. The idea is that a Strength score of 12 really doesn't mean anything in terms of the system beyond the fact that it grants you a +1 modifier to Strength-based rolls. So, instead of a Strength 12 (+1), you now just have Strength +1 and it tells you everything you need to know. Since attributes are "purchased" in M&M rather than rolled anyway, it makes sense that you just buy the modifiers directly.

They have also expanded the attributes which are now: Strength, Stamina, Agility, Dexterity, Fighting, Intellect, Awareness and Presence. They basically just took the "Attack Bonus" and "Defense Bonus" traits from 2E and treat them as attributes (which is basically what 2E did anyway, just without naming them that). Likewise, "attack" specializations are now treated as skills. If your PC specializes in throwing Batarangs, you would purchase ranks in the "Ranged Combat: Thrown Weapons" skill. You add the skill ranks to your relevant attribute (Fighting for melee combat, Dexterity for ranged combat).

Also, the "Defense Score" and "Saving Throws" are grouped together and called "Defenses". Dodge (Agi) is your defense against ranged combat and your "Reflex" save. Parry (Fgt) is your defense against melee combat. Fortitude (Sta), Toughness (Sta) and Will (Awe) all seem to be mostly the same as before. They seem to be often calculated like Armor Class (10 + ranks). So, if you have a Parry of 8, your opponent would need to roll 18 (10 + 8) or higher to strike you in melee combat. I'm assuming, though, that there may be cases in which they will be rolled like traditional saving throws.

"Feats" are now called "Advantages" but seem to be essentially the same thing.

The skill list has been boiled down to 16 skills, with the notable skill addition "Expertise" as a wild-card to represent skills you might want your character to have that isn't covered by the others. It is my understanding that the Expertise skill is intended to cover things like crafting, knowledges and other unique or character-specific skills like Perform.

They also seem to have streamlined the situational modifiers rules. Now, any circumstance that grants a modifier will either be +/-2 (for a minor modifier) or +/- 5 (for a major modifier).

I'm excited about it. The PDF is available now at Drivethrurpg.com but I've been trying to wait on the dead-tree version to be released.
    Last edited by Webhead; 08-05-2010 at 11:06 PM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the information on the system, it does sound very promising from looking at what you've said. Plus the modifier system for stats sounds like a nice option also!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been reading up on M&M for a couple days and I went a head and got the DC Adventures book. Certain things about the system have me really pretty excited but in other ways i think i would have been happier with 2nd edition. This is probably because I've got more experience with DND and stuff but the way that damage is handled is odd, and letting players use hero points to "edit the scene" seems kinda silly to me (no big deal because I probably just wouldn't allow it).
    Last edited by SimonJ; 10-10-2010 at 02:39 AM. Reason: The original post had some issues

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonJ View Post
    I've been reading up on M&M for a couple days and I went a head and got the DC Adventures book. Certain things about the system have me really deal,because i don't think i'd allow it) pretty excited but in other ways i think i would have been happier with 2nd edition. This is probably because I've got more experience with DND and stuff but the way that damage is handled is odd, and letting players use hero points to "edit the scene" seems kinda silly to me (no big deal because I probably just wouldn't allow it).
    The M&M community seems slightly divided at the moment on the "2E versus 3E" subject. Personally, having now finished reading DCA, I find myself definately in favor of 3rd Edition. I just like how a lot of the excessive complexity that carried over from other d20 games has been smoothed out, how almost all rolls have been unified in the way they work thanks to the "Degrees of Success/Failure" system and how many rules (such as most powers) have been made easier to use and more flexible. The "Affliction" power in particuar is rather brilliant.

As far as damage goes in 3E, it didn't seem much different than 2E's system to me other than that there is no longer any mechanical separation between "non-lethal" and "lethal" damage. And while the healing rules mean characters tend to recover significantly faster, the book makes a good point that long-term or story-significant injuries are best handled as a "Complication" that might grant the player extra Hero Points. After thinking about it, that's probably the best way to do it.

The "edit a scene" ability of Hero Points was present in 2E as well. I tend to like games that provide options for players to lend creative ideas to the narrative of the game (like FATE, Unisystem, etc), so these types of mechanics aren't really "new" to me.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I think the best thing for me to do then is to banish any preconceived notions I have about P&P games (I've played the d20 system almost exclusively) and just give the damn thing a good read, see if I like it . I guess its a lot easier to find fault with things when you're looking for it , about the "edit the scene" ability I was more just thinking that it was something that would be automatically abused .

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought both this and Smallville to try out. I like what I have heard here and I am getting excited to read about it as I am disappointed in Smallville.
    Magic is not for parlor tricks.- Sparrow, Second Degree Master

Fragile Things, another slice of forums: http://fragilethings.fr.yuku.com

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I think the best thing for me to do then is to banish any preconceived notions I have about P&P games (I've played the d20 system almost exclusively) and just give the damn thing a good read, see if I like it . I guess its a lot easier to find fault with things when you're looking for it...
    And having read it myself and having a long history with M&M (all editions), I'd be happy to help you through any questions or thought processes you might struggle with as you read.

...about the "edit the scene" ability I was more just thinking that it was something that would be automatically abused .
    That aspect of using Hero Points is intended to be overseen by the group and GM to make sure it doesn't spoil the fun of the game. It's intended to create situations of "coincidental fortune/misfortune" that can add flair to a scene, not for something that completely bypasses a challenge or otherwise steals the spotlight.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have to give a nod to Steve Kensen and Green Ronin publishing. Up until I was given a copy of of the DC Heroes 3E M&M, I'd thought I'd seen it all with d20 gaming. They made some really intelligent tweaks to the system that really fit the superhero style of play. I particularly like the addition of the Fighting attribute. There are many changes, that gives the whole system a closer feel to the old Marvel Game by Jeff Grubb. Of course, with me, as I've gotten older and more cynical, anytime a current era game can find a way to emulate an older (some would say outdated) game, it certainly gets my attention.