Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in play-by-post DDM?

Downloads
    Uploads

Any interest in play-by-post DDM?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I still haven't tracked down someone to play DDM2 with, all the people I normally bother with such challenges are "busy". How you can be busy when there's a promising new version of an already fun game I don't know.

So how about it? Anyone want to consider playing DDM2 here?

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    How would you play DDM in a play by post? It sounds like it would be difficult and slow. Have you done it before?
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Haven't done it before, probably would be slow. Post each activation. Have a reference map with a marked grid to specify where you moved.

Depends on how fast the players post. Personally, I have time, but its spread througout the day instead of in big lumps, so play by post would be easier than trying to get together for a single game.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wargaming would be slow for play by post. I was considering doing some BattleTech PBP but figured I would have to modify the turn structure so the game would move faster. In its current incarnation each turn would take a total of 16 posts if there were two players and each controlled a single unit. The average game would probably consist of around 30 to 40 turns for this type of one on one battle

Downloads
    Uploads
    How's it different from PBP RPGs? Sure, it'd be easier to sit and play through, but for some the liesure time and lack of need to install software is inviting.

Maybe I'm alone in this.

Yeah, Battletech would take a bit more creativity to make it work in this kind of environment, but DDM is quite a bit less complex.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been really pressed for time lately and I'm really excited about playing with the GURPS system. Not sure if I'll take the time to modify BattleTech for the forums. I've seen BattleTech modified for many different mediums but every single system took a great deal of modification to the core turn phases and time to balance. Not sure if I'm ready for that. Might be more interested in running some GURPS adventures instead. Pretty much if my PBP games go well BattleTech is a guaranteed thing. If they don't do so well, I probably won't bother.

Would it be legal to play DDM in PBP?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    Would it be legal to play DDM in PBP?
    Don't see why not. They published the ruleset and first DDM2 set online for all to have access to. They already let people play as part of vassal: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=968768

On the official Wizards boards, and stickied, so sounds like they are okay with it.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    don't use play by post. use vassal! and don't forget to download the cards for the stats, either!
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hmm, looking at it more, it does look pretty nice. I like the fact you can play live or by email, switching as much as you like.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So do you think you'll be giving it a try Maelstrom? I'm actually quite interested in this. I might join one of the PBP games if you put this together. At the very least I'll keep up with the threads in order to learn the game from observation. Seems I'm digesting more rule sets than I care to handle these days. Damn my overeager rule system consumption

Downloads
    Uploads
    All I need is an opponent. We can playtest it in this forum just for kicks to see if its viable. If so, we can request a DDM play by post section.

If noone wants to try it, I'll go out and grab Vassal, which seems like a reasonable alternative... but then its off the P&PG forums.

So what say you, Mul? Want to be a guinea pig? I'll even build you a DDM2 army if you want to give it a shot, teach you the rules as we go.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sign me up. Just create a thread in the miniatures sub-forum (need more content for this sub-forum ) of the Wargaming forum. I'm excited and ready to go!

Downloads
    Uploads
    So you will be using the standard rules, not the vintage? I may be interested, but lemme see if I can put together a decent band with what I've got...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Welp, we've only got Desert of Desolation to work with for DDM2 for now.

Since its online, the warbands I built come from that set rather than from a specific collection.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are doing it might I suggest a chess like gridding system so you can keep moves straight. Move "Raging Oec" from D5 to E7 for example.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast