Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Starship combat

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Starship combat

Anyone ran any Starship combat since Starships of the Galaxy has come out?

I am anticipating some in my next game and I want to know how it handles.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Anyone ran any Starship combat since Starships of the Galaxy has come out?

I am anticipating some in my next game and I want to know how it handles.

Nobody has really picked up on the special pilot stuff, but the ship data base is killer.

I'm really mad that they didn't include a "ship character sheet" or creation sheet.

Downloads
    Uploads

Starship Sheet

You can pick one up at RPGsheets. com.

The starship specailty would be good if your running a rouge squadron type game. Otherwise it consumes valuable feats for land based adventures.
    It's true. I am an evil, twisted, sadistic genius with delusions of grandeur, bent on the total humiliation of all those around me. I am your Game Master.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDrasco View Post
    You can pick one up at RPGsheets. com.

The starship specailty would be good if your running a rouge squadron type game. Otherwise it consumes valuable feats for land based adventures.

yeah, i agree. although I've toyed with the idea of giving it as a bonus feat just so we can get some use out of it.

thanks for the link!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by SirDrasco View Post

Star Wars is as much about space combat as it is land combat. An equal blending of both should allow players to decide how relevant taking ship feats are worth to their character.

If I were making a pilot-type character (and I am, see my DoD character next level) I would ask that there be some vehicle combat that my character can shine in.

As a GM, now that we have more complete vehicle rules thanks to the SotG book, I am going to include at least 2 vehicle combats into every adventure I write.

Anyone else have any feedback on how vehilce combat has worked? Especially starships.

Our game is next week and they just picked up 4 TIE fighters on an intercept course!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Becareful you don't let your PCs get dusted in those TIEs.

Last night I ran a pretty long battle where the PCs chased down two imperial shuttles to rescue some people they were taking to a star destoryer.

Anyhow, combat easy once everybody got down the basic concept. I started out not using range rules since it's best when teaching to add a little to the plate at a time.

But over all, the more we play, the more it starts to flow just as easy, if not easier than character scale combat.
    Easier later possibly since you don't really have to deal with terrain.

If you use minis though, you'll find that many ships that should be 1x1 in Saga are 2x2 as miniatures. I still use the 2x2s (I have some shuttles, sith infiltraters, and a blockade runner) since it doesn't really make a difference.

It seems that the scale for square is half a mile or less (just guessing).

We also found that initiating dog fights is a tool that can help when intercepting. Having a high pilot skill as well as feats make dog fighting a huge bonus: you can stop oppents from moving, you make yourself harder to hit from outside ships, and you can stop your oppenent from even making an attack on you.

Good job Saga, you've made star ship combat cool in pnp.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by GBVenkman View Post
    Becareful you don't let your PCs get dusted in those TIEs.
    They have a YT-2000 and just encountered 4 TIEs intercepting them as they blast their way off Chandrila.

Quote Originally Posted by GBVenkman View Post
    Last night I ran a pretty long battle where the PCs chased down two imperial shuttles to rescue some people they were taking to a star destoryer.

Anyhow, combat easy once everybody got down the basic concept. I started out not using range rules since it's best when teaching to add a little to the plate at a time.

But over all, the more we play, the more it starts to flow just as easy, if not easier than character scale combat.
    Easier later possibly since you don't really have to deal with terrain.

If you use minis though, you'll find that many ships that should be 1x1 in Saga are 2x2 as miniatures. I still use the 2x2s (I have some shuttles, sith infiltraters, and a blockade runner) since it doesn't really make a difference.

It seems that the scale for square is half a mile or less (just guessing).

We also found that initiating dog fights is a tool that can help when intercepting. Having a high pilot skill as well as feats make dog fighting a huge bonus: you can stop oppents from moving, you make yourself harder to hit from outside ships, and you can stop your oppenent from even making an attack on you.

Good job Saga, you've made star ship combat cool in pnp.
    Sounds awesome!

I am really looking forward to space combat.

Keep in mind that you can only dogfight with airspeeders and starfighters. From what I have read a starfighter cannot initiate a dogfight with a colossal transport unless that transport has combat thrusters.

Which kind of makes sense but also doesn't. You would think that it would be easy for a starfighter to chase down a transport and force it into a dogfight but perhaps because a transport just isn't as maneuverable as a starfighter they left them out of it. Also since a transport would probably get decimated quickly.

Anyway, I am looking forward to it!

Oh, and unless it has changed, 1 square of space is close to 500 kilometers I believe. Thats what it was in the RCR. This is the reason why there isn't any facing in SW starship combat because it is assumed you have enough room to move your ship around to the most advantageous position to fire.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a lot of ideas for space combat.

PC freighter detecting incoming Tie fighters, old vulture droids popping out of some asteroids, to an epic fleet vs fleet battle as they join the rebellion.