Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's going to TotalCon??

Downloads
    Uploads

Who's going to TotalCon??

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Anybody going to Total Confusion, aka TotalCon in Mansfield, Massachussetts? It's the weekend of feb 23rd. I'm going just for the D+D, but there are tons of other games there, from board to minis, LARPing, painting contests, and lots of stuf for younger gamers too. www.Totalcon.com is the website, you can pre-register until the 15th, mail it in or do it online via Paypal. Hope to see you there.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have never been to anything like this. Although, I have never heard of one being somewhere close enough to where I live. I am curious as to what the cost is to attend one of these conventions? Also, is it just to get people there and sell them stuff or is there actually games being played there too? Maybe sometime there might be something like this closer to me so that I can get to check it out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Depending on the convention, a pass for all days can run anywhere from $25-85$.

Usually you can buy a day-pass or shopper-only pass for $5-$15.

You usually get a discount if you register in advance. You can usually show and just buy a pass for one day to participate in some of the scheduled events.

Most conventions have an auction. You can buy a day-pass or shopper-pass and go to the auction.

Most conventions usually have an open room where vendors and merchants are selling their wares. A day-pass or shopper-pass will grant you access to this room to do some shopping.

Most conventions are done in a hotel and have a special room rate for convention goers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, there you have it folks. At least someone is talking about this years' cons.!!!! Now, does anyone know of any for Dallas??? I'm dieing to get to one. H'aint been in ten years.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Seriously sign me up for one in Dallas. That is a trip I can make

Downloads
    Uploads
    I just Googled "gaming conventions" and it sent me to a website that listed a bunch of them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got a link to that website upistay?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drohem View Post
    Depending on the convention, a pass for all days can run anywhere from $25-85$.

Usually you can buy a day-pass or shopper-only pass for $5-$15.

You usually get a discount if you register in advance. You can usually show and just buy a pass for one day to participate in some of the scheduled events.

Most conventions have an auction. You can buy a day-pass or shopper-pass and go to the auction.

Most conventions usually have an open room where vendors and merchants are selling their wares. A day-pass or shopper-pass will grant you access to this room to do some shopping.

Most conventions are done in a hotel and have a special room rate for convention goers.
    D&D Experience this month in the Washington DC area is actually free to attend, but it costs money to play. I'm playing one 4th edition session, which cost 6$.

Developer for Darkage Warlord, a Pen & Paper Games exclusive Medieval Wargame.

If you are in the DC metro area and like to trade D&D minis (1.0 or 2.0), please send me a PM!

Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.nggnet.com/features/Conventions.htm

I think this is the link I used. I googled "gaming conventions".

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by upidstay View Post
    http://www.nggnet.com/features/Conventions.htm

I think this is the link I used. I googled "gaming conventions".
    Just what I was looking for. Thank you

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i have never actually been to a convention. which is perhaps a good thing. i haven't become an otaku yet either.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's an "Otaku"???

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's an "Otaku"???
    It is either a hermaphradidtic squid person form the Vega system or a pathological-techno-fetishist-with-social-deficit. I guess to us westerners it is mostly just a particularly bad geek, although I would prefer squid person.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's an "Otaku"???
    The word otaku is used with some controversy as it was originally used to describe socially inept nerds who are obsessed with one thing in particular (anime, manga, pop stars, whatever). Some people wear the name otaku with a great sense of pride, others see it as an insult as many Japanese people would. It's like calling someone a loser (only ruder).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    woohoo! next japanese lesson!

otaku in japan otaku actually means someone who is obsessed (read: bad connotation) with something to an unhealthy degree. most otaku are into things that would be referred to as fetishes here in the states, and in some cases will get you arrested. however, since english ambushed japanese in a dark alley and hit it on the head, it came away with this grammer as meaning someone who is really obsessed with anime and manga. more anime than manga.

just for the record and so you don't make the kitty cringe:

anime is pronounced [ah-knee-may] with no extra emphasis on any syllable and each syllable being of equal length.
    manga is pronounced [mah-nn-gah] with no extra emphasis on any syllable and each syllable being of equal length.
    otaku is pronounced [oh-tah-coo] with no extra emphasis on any syllable and each syllable being of equal length.

and in case you were wondering... nijineko is pronounced [knee-gee-nay-koh] with no extras, and equal length, blah blah. ^^

please be kind and don't make kitty cringe. ;D

examples from the states: die hard rocky horror mountain picture show fans? otaku. likes to watch cartoons and anime? nah. obsessively watches anime to the exclusion of everything else? oh yeah. mulsiphix and a certain d-----bop? no comment ;D

i know where you can get more free lessons (other than from me) in japanese if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by nijineko; 02-11-2008 at 06:02 AM.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast